Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree171Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: How many women here own their own boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I seriously doubt that Julie's intent with her original question was to divide. It was probably just natural curiosity from one woman to the rest of us. No conspiracies behind it.
Did she ever actually buy a boat? Just curious...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I don't know. I have not seen her post in a while. Hopefully she's out sailing but I think she would have let us know she bought a boat after all the lead-up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 06-24-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-24-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I hope she did, but her pattern turned out to be more like a troll. More generously, more like someone with a commitment problem. More admirably, someone too smart to buy a boat.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-25-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassMeBy View Post
Just putting in two cents (I'm a guy). I've been following a gal in Panama on YouTube that impresses the holy crap out of me. (Untie the lines). She bought an aluminum boat and has done everything from repairing holes to wiring. Was in the Navy on ships with women. Anything that needed doing got done.

No reason why women can't be skippers of their own craft. The biggest problems women face is the same as men. Honesty. If you don't know something, say so. Find out about it and move forward.

Another problem is taking it personal or some sort of insult if someone treats you like a "girl". I was raised to open doors and watch my language. Take advantage of that and I won't be around you long enough for you to mind anyway. Beat me up for it, same same.

I vote for more women skippers and more "girl" boats!
I agree with everything that PMB says except he misses the point of this thread, which if you go back to the beginning...

There are very few women who are the primary owners of their boat

The question was originally posted almost two years ago and 143 people have responded though maybe half (at least) were not women who solely own their boats. At the risk of over-generalizing, I believe the biggest problem is because we tend to teach our girls that the world is a dangerous place when they venture around by themselves. We tell them to go places in a group, don't go out alone at night, and then we wonder what's wrong with them if they don't have a partner. It seems little wonder that few of them want to take on anything so risky as owning a boat. And about those Navy girls -- I am sure they are competent and probably super bad-a$$es, if one had to go up against them, but they are also in a controlled environment with superiors telling them what to do, and many people around them at all times. There might be some, though I'd guess still very few, who would be adventurous enough to cross a well-fortified, border checkpoint in a country where you can't speak the language or comprehend the signs, just to find a dive spot up the highway somewhere to spend a couple of vacation days. Or buy a boat in Panama sight unseen, then move there to go sailing. We tend to create too much fear of the unknown in our heads. Maybe posts like these and the increasing number of women sailors will eventually change that.
zeehag likes this.

Last edited by gamayun; 06-25-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-25-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I just read a post on one of the Women who Sail FB groups where her 20 YO daughter and best girl friend are taking over a derelict sailboat in the marina and bringing it back to life.

If I had done that with sailboats instead of cars I would have had a boat 15 years sooner!

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-25-2014
Admiral

janice142 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Owning a boat doesn't make you a boater any more than sleeping in the garage makes you a car. USING a boat is the difference, and few people (male or female) actually use their boats.

How many boats sit alone and neglected, rotting away in the sun? For me, what I like most is seeing a boat used. It doesn't have to be the shiniest boat at the yacht club, nor the largest -- just use the thing.

A few days ago I arrived in Steinhatchee, FL and I must say this place is brimming with boats being used. It's fun to watch the little 20'ers going in and out.

I will say that the larger boats don't seem to go any place at present. They, like me, may be waiting for a weather window before heading out. We shall see on Friday -- if the predictions are correct that's when I'm heading back out the channel.

Old 06-26-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Steinhatchee!! My old stomping (and power boating) grounds. I miss the coleslaw at Roy's....it's my gold standard. Are you in a sailboat? I don't recall many sailboats in the area. Has that changed? Enjoy your time there!
Old 06-26-2014
Admiral

janice142 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Steinhatchee!! My old stomping (and power boating) grounds. I miss the coleslaw at Roy's....it's my gold standard. Are you in a sailboat? I don't recall many sailboats in the area. Has that changed? Enjoy your time there!
Hello gamayun. I see lots of 20' to 25' center console and fishing boats. There appears to be one live-aboard sailboat at a marina near the anchorage. In the anchorage are seven sailboats. One or possibly two are occupied.

One moves quite a bit. That's not a good thing -- it's dragging around the anchorage and across the river. I'm at the far west end near Marker 48. It's all the way east now. I'm leaving today...

There's not much water off the channel anyplace further out (#1 is offshore)

Take care and I'm sorry I missed the cole slaw, though mine is pretty doggone good. I didn't get to Hungry Howie's either -- the pizza place on the water with docks. Wanted to do that but 1 to 2' seas determined a departure of today.

Can't waste a weather window, not even for pizza!
gamayun likes this.

Old 06-26-2014
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Owning a boat doesn't make you a boater any more than sleeping in the garage makes you a car. USING a boat is the difference, and few people (male or female) actually use their boats.
I will say that the larger boats don't seem to go any place at present. They, like me, may be waiting for a weather window before heading out. We shall see on Friday -- if the predictions are correct that's when I'm heading back out the channel.
A lot depends on where you are and who you are with. A lively dock with many people in and out every weekend and a few week days encourages everyone to get out and have fun. When plans are made to raft up and party in easy access locations, people will join in.

I do own Sisu and we (Boo and me) do go out. The weather has less to do with it than what condition Sisu is in (engine is currently seized and needs to be torn down - I can do that). Boo and I, along with several dock mates enjoy when we have 15 to 25 knt winds, seas 1 to 3 ft are fine, higher winds and seas are fun too. You have to trust your boat and your skills. Hiding in the berth when the breeze is over 10knt is silly. Get out and pound some waves.
zeehag likes this.
Old 06-27-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

there is nothing better than finding a huge wind to sail an d having complete control over the boat... is awesome. it is even better then good car control while driving a hot looking good running sporty car fast..... lol....

btw--i use my boat when it is working-- now i am repairing...lol

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

Last edited by zeehag; 06-27-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.