Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree171Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2014
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
Re: How many women here own their own boat?

Is the counter to this question, how many single men own their own boat and how many couples own a boat? My wife and I have owned a couple large sailboats over a period of 12 years. So I wouldn't say that she owns her own boat and that I own my own boat. I'd say we own our boat.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshwind View Post
Is the counter to this question, how many single men own their own boat and how many couples own a boat? My wife and I have owned a couple large sailboats over a period of 12 years. So I wouldn't say that she owns her own boat and that I own my own boat. I'd say we own our boat.
To which I'd reply, this is probably 99% of boat owners. Not really interesting in and of itself so the question to ask couples is how many times does the woman fully skipper the boat? Or how often does she take it out with just her friends? Before I get drummed out with examples of how many on this forum are not passive participants, I think it's still the exception based on what I see on the water. Confidence in an activity can only be gained by doing not watching. This is not to disparage couples or men, but again, the point of the OP was to find out how many women own (handle?) their own boats. If taken solely from the responses in this post, it is very, very, very few.

Why?
Old 06-27-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I would expand that to include the number of couples where the guy was "allowed" to buy a boat.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-27-2014

Scallywag2 is on a distinguished road

Last month I had the pleasure of meeting Katie and Jessie. They are in the process of completing the great loop. Yes they own the boat. They do the repairs and the navigation. Very competent women. On their way home to Michigan. I am in awe of all the women boats owners and their accomplishments. Keep it up women.
bigdogandy, gamayun and SloopJonB like this.
Old 06-28-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

We see a gal doing things on a boat that are just routine for her because she knows how, been doing it for years, and no matter how long she's been doing it. It ALWAYS seems Men are watching and "need, or must" give their unsolicited approval! AND men are ALWAYS watching! Even when I go out to get my boat off the mooring, been doing it for years now. I'll sometimes hear from a guy's voice from an apartment complex yell "you go girl!" LOL

I go down to the pump out and pulling in behind need for speed race boats always seems to beget bewildered looks from the guys LOL Then, when a gal takes that same sail boat spins her around 180's in almost the same spot she pulled in, they even applause!

When I was an angry feminist I'd go off with all kinds of $%^&*!@#$%!! .. but I've mellowed at the years have gone by...

Most times I just say thanks and continue on.

I have mellowed...
zeehag and gamayun like this.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-28-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2014
Senior Moment Member

Nuttin' there for a woman to get angry about Denise - it just goes to show how rare girls like you really are and how much guys appreciate seeing them in action.
gamayun likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-28-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i liked showing off in fronnt of the know nothing guys who couldnt pivot their sloops..lol it was sooo rewarding as they just stood with jaw dropped..lol in front of uscg aux, who dont know from a sailboat in sd..lol
and turning formosa in a tight place was fun also...
i jsut wish someone would relieve me of my day sailor so i can be at peace her in pair a dice with my cruiser.... yes, still a 2 boat owner.....
Me and Boo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 06-28-2014

Scallywag2 is on a distinguished road

denise030, zeehag, and all other capable sailing women-- I have nothing but respect for you and am envious of you. I am a know nothing male. I take things apart and put them back together again and have left over parts. I bought a sailboat because engines do not like me. I my youth was spent with women that went to beauty parlors. The first rule was do not touch my hair. You want me to change a light bulb? Therefore I am in awe of women that work on engines. Sorry Danica Patrick, but I am in her corner every times she races and in your corner when you sail. Thanks for the thread. I like seeing all the competent sail/power boat women.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 06-29-2014
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i liked showing off in fronnt of the know nothing guys who couldnt pivot their sloops..lol it was sooo rewarding as they just stood with jaw dropped..lol in front of uscg aux, who dont know from a sailboat in sd..lol
and turning formosa in a tight place was fun also...
i jsut wish someone would relieve me of my day sailor so i can be at peace her in pair a dice with my cruiser.... yes, still a 2 boat owner.....
A few weeks ago a new slip owner was coming down the channel to his slip. On our dock we all go to help all boats arriving, beginners or experienced, a common courtesy because wind and tide can make berthing a real treat. I am on the finger yelling for which line he wanted first. He wanted to know what I meant. At that point it did not matter as his speed was too high. He did react correctly to that and got that under control. He also got into the correct lane to turn. I yelled out to start a hard to starboard to pivot into his slip. He replied he knew what he was doing. Behind me I heard a male voice "he knows what he is doing, he is an experience sailor".

"Ah, yeah sure" the inner me says. As the experienced sailor turned too slow and way too late, almost crunching into a 40' Catalina, he regained some control and ended up going to the dry dock, turning around and going back up and trying again. At least he had his lines out and enough people grabbed and pulled his boat into the slip. He, the experienced one, did not even know that his boat has a pivot point. Turns out my cat has more sea time then this guy. He is a nice guy, but does not take instructions from women all that well. Maybe he will in the future.

As for women handling their own boats, we are around. I prefer men not be on board my boat. They tend to touch or break things I do not want them touching or breaking. There are a handful of men I know who can be trusted, but the rest - go buy your own boat.
bigdogandy and SloopJonB like this.
Old 06-29-2014
Senior Moment Member

Sounds like sexist discrimination to me.

Any intelligent and/or life experienced man knows enough to follow a woman's instructions - in ALL things.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.