Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree171Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: How many women here own their own boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post

Tell me this: why is it there's no cute little names for men aboard boats, similar to the 'Admiral' term?
Well. For one thing, few men are "cute", and the ones that are ususally aren't hanging about boats/yachts, eh? But, for the sake of the discussion, how 'bout suggesting some?

Quote:
Tell me this: why is it that almost without exception, on the dock, men strike up conversations with us, and then immediately turn to husband, and address him, excluding me, if a question about the boat itself or something technical comes up?
Perfectly honestly, because in many (most?) cases, the women are participating in the sport because their boyfriends/husbands are although I have seen several cases where the reverse is true. Many times also, the subject of discussion involves technical/engineering issues that few, although not all, women are less likely to be acquainted with. Never-the-less, when a competent, knowledgeable person speaks of a matter in question, few dismiss their input simply on the basis of gender although some, no doubt, do.

Frankly there aren't many places, situations, et al, in human relations where one cannot find a presumably offensive "ism" if one looks hard enough, hence the stunning evolution of "Political Correctness" in the last few decades, at least in the USA. Often though, whether some word, term, phrase, or thing is offensive depends upon who, or what race, gender etc. voices same. Out of the mouth of a woman an offensive phrase voiced by a man is often viewed quite differently or even applauded.

N'any case, aboard boats, some of the best, tho' not strongest, sailors are women and they are readily accorded accolades for their accomplishments (although not by some men who are evidently embarrassed at being surpassed by a woman.) My wife, for example is an excellent helmsman (or helmsperson, or helmswoman or, on our boat "driver"). She can get and keep the boat "in the groove" quite readily and in our younger days I did get a laugh out of the frustration in the faces of some of our competitors in local races when we overtook and lapped them with her "driving" in her little "cute" bikini and flying ponytail (to which she attributes her ability to sense the wind, a "perfect tell-tail" as she still says).

Ah well. Enough for the moment, eh? Have a nice day!!!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 07-01-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Correct typo...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2014
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You've got to be kidding me. Ten minutes of reading any sailing forum will tell you all you need to know about whether there is chauvinism in sailing... It's real easy not to see chauvinism when you're not on the receiving end of it... it ain't just me - husband sees it too - he's less tolerant than I

Tell me this: why is it there's no patronizing, pejorative little names for men aboard boats, similar to the 'Admiral' term?

Tell me this: why is it that almost without exception, on the dock, men strike up conversations with us, and then immediately turn to husband, and address him, excluding me, if a question about the boat itself or something technical comes up?

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

It's not chauvinism. Usually it's the men who own the boat and who are using it and the women are along for the ride. And should a man pointedly ask the woman about a boat she knows nothing about, well he'd come off as some ******* trying to belittle her.

So you've got to be careful throwing around this idea. Plus, it just isn't cool to have a chip on your shoulder.

I've experienced exactly what you've experienced. I know much more about my boat (I own it, hubby has never taken the helm cause he's scared ) but he doesn't like to not know the answer. This means he rarely flips the question to me if this happens. I just let him yammer on. It'll be come apparent what he knows but he's pretty good at bullshitting. If I'm pissed at him, I'll correct him in front of people to get back at him.

Anyway, it only took the same guys who treated me like that seeing me take my boat out by myself once and instantly I had their respect. They asked if anyone was with me. I said no. Bam, they were talking to me like I was one of the guys.

If the guys we're discussing were actual chauvinist, they'd be asking me who the hell let me out on that boat? They'd be laying into your husband about how dare he let you take the helm or work the sheets cause "she's not capable" and blah blah. Or taking the helm or sheets from you, telling you it's because you're a woman and weak and should just sit over there and look pretty. THAT is chauvinism.

What you're experiencing is that the guys you're talking to are used to the woman just flipping her hair while perched on the seat and asking "what is that thingie for" or screeching about spiders. It's not really those guys' fault. It's all of those other women's faults who have no ladyballs and think life is about never messing up your makeup.
jephotog, chef2sail and SloopJonB like this.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 07-01-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

"Ladyballs"

Can I use that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-01-2014
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
"Ladyballs"

Can I use that?

For making it all the way through to the end of my yammering, why certainly!

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 07-01-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would expand that to include the number of couples where the guy was "allowed" to buy a boat.
Are neutered males still male...?

Sorry. I resisted that comment as long as I could
Old 07-01-2014

Greenhand is on a distinguished road

Would it really be so hard to talk to the couple for the whole minute required to figure out which one answers whatever it is you are interested in talking about?

I did overhear a conversation in Spanish recently about how the owner is never there, just this woman. Of course, they are only working on the big boat during the week, so they don't see that we spend the whole weekend together on the boat.
SloopJonB likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenhand For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (07-02-2014)
Old 07-22-2014

girlgoessailing is on a distinguished road

I'm not the sole owner but my boyfriend and I just went in on a Beneteau together. It's our first and is documented under his name (his credit was better for the loan). I love hearing about other women who have been involved solo - it's really motivating and inspirational for me as an amateur sailor.
gamayun and SloopJonB like this.
Old 07-23-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

You put money into a boat, with a boyfriend, and are not on title? Not a good idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-23-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Don't know how it is in the States but if they're together a year here, it's half each for everything.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-23-2014

Greenhand is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Don't know how it is in the States but if they're together a year here, it's half each for everything.
That is only true in a small handful of states (only five had common law marriage last I checked). Even then, common law marriages can be harder to prove and are never solely dependent on being together for a certain amount of time. There is, sometimes, a minimum time for the relationship.