How many women here own their own boat? - Page 24 - SailNet Community
 244Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 289 Old 08-29-2014

Re: How many women here own their own boat?

The quirks and weirdness you musteve seen! ha! Good book book for a few million peso's.
zeehag likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 289 Old 07-26-2015
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

At the risk of resurrecting an old post, but one which I've enjoyed reading again over the years, I would like to make an observation and see if I can get consensus because I will be the keynote speaker at a women's sailing event at my club in a few weeks. I have been trying to find demographics about the number of women sailors out there and how many (married or single) own their boat. What I have found is that there are about 16 million boats, though only 12 million of which are registered, and about 87.3 million adults who participate in recreational boating. Of these totals, 1.5 million (~9%) are sailboats and a survey from the Northeast found 90% of recreational boating participants are male. So the best estimates I can come up with is that 8.7 million women in the U.S. participate in some form of recreational boating, with almost 800,000 involved in sailing. If this thread is any indication, then somewhere between 10 and 15% of sailboat owners are female, which is around 150,000 to 225,000 women. Would anyone care to give some feedback on my assumptions here?

Any other interesting tidbits that might be useful for my presentation would also be appreciated. Its theme is about overcoming fear and achieving your goals, which in this case is skippering one's own boat, whether they own it or not, or whether they're partnered or not.

Thanks!
Cande likes this.

Last edited by gamayun; 07-27-2015 at 02:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gamayun For This Useful Post:
Cande (09-16-2015)
post #233 of 289 Old 07-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
I do..
This one? ☺

https://youtu.be/eKvznMrCMOk
post #234 of 289 Old 07-26-2015
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post

Any other interesting tidbits that might be useful for my presentation would also be appreciated. Its theme is about overcoming fear and achieving your goals, which in this case is skippering one's own boat, whether they own it or not, or whether they're partnered or not.

Thanks!
I overcome my fear (yes. still have it) by not worrying at the moment what others think of me. Everyone was a beginner once. If they can't remember what that felt like then so be it. Focus on the job at hand and move on.

Best of luck with your presentation!
gamayun and Hapa like this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donna_F For This Useful Post:
gamayun (07-27-2015)
post #235 of 289 Old 07-28-2015
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Location: Heading south down the US east coast to the Bahamas

Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post

Yes this one.!!
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Melissa Renee
Moondance
Catalina 445, Hull #90
post #236 of 289 Old 08-02-2015
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

one less boat owned by a woman....whoot--sold my ericson finally, which means my final bottom line has come in at 4650 usd for a formos 41 purchase, as the deal was essentially was a boat trade...lol.... win.
scubadoo likes this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #237 of 289 Old 08-02-2015
Senior Moment Member

Wow - that's as close to free as makes no difference - for a pirate ship in paradise.

Well done.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #238 of 289 Old 08-20-2015

Me
post #239 of 289 Old 09-16-2015

Dock

This will be a quick reply, I'll reply again when I have more time to offer a thoughtful response. LOVE all the data you present, and also that you bring it with the disclaimer suggesting the difficulty in getting accurate data. That said, one criteria not mentioned was those boats that are owned jointly among partners, married or not; but who might register the boat, for "convenience," arguably in the man's name. I think that skews the data.
Also, what I see among couples is the division of labor which is a consideration. I won't offer examples right now, because different couples divide the activities involved in sailing differently. Our yacht club only opened up membership to women about 15 years ago, and we had our first woman commodore 13 years ago. It would be interesting to survey yacht clubs regarding the number of members who are women who "own" or skipper their own boats,
My husband's mother purchased and sailed her own boat in about 1965.
I think it's much more common than might be assumed.
Cande
post #240 of 289 Old 09-16-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cande View Post
... That said, one criteria not mentioned was those boats that are owned jointly among partners, married or not; but who might register the boat, for "convenience," arguably in the man's name. I think that skews the data.
This is a good point. Our boat is jointly owned by me and my partner. She is as much the owner, master and captain as I.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.