Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree171Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: How many women here own their own boat?

Glad to see this thread back on track, and full of delightful humor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Chuckles...I like how you put it...I agree.

Lets ask the OP to clarify. Julie what were you asking when you said " how many women own their own boat?"
However one interprets the question is unimportant to me. Everyone has their own interpretation of ownership. And whatever that is, that's what matters most. If there are women here who feel they own their own boat, then they do.
Old 10-26-2012

Jeff_Mac22 is on a distinguished road

It would seem to me that asking this type of question is just another way to divide the genders and is irrelevant. It does not matter if a sailor owns a boat or rents a boat the fact that he or she is a sailor is good enough for me. In our state we have a community property law that says if it is only in HER name if she is married to a man then he still owns half of it. Same thing if it is only in his name she still owns half of it.
Old 10-26-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Mac22 View Post
It would seem to me that asking this type of question is just another way to divide the genders and is irrelevant. ...
By that argument, the entire herSailnet area is irrelevant and divisive.

I don't think the OP posted (in an area where she probably expected only women to respond) with the intention of dividing anyone. I may be wrong, but I suspect it was natural curiosity. The same as when some months back someone asked why more minorities aren't sailing or someone else asked what happened to the young people.

I think perhaps more is being read into the original question than was intended.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-26-2012

Spirit of Freedom is on a distinguished road

I own my boat and single-handed for years. My husband now sails with me...he was a non-sailor when we met and it took nearly 15 years to get him to start cruising with me. For a long time he preferred to fly in to meet me. I have met lots of women over the years, especially here in the PNW who own their own boats.
paikea likes this.
Old 10-26-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

I've put boats in my wife's name when she didn't even realize it. I'd think the "legaleeze" is not the relevant point.
Old 10-26-2012

Great point, think SAIL not gender politics, not race politics, not gender preference politics, not legal politics, let’s just all sail and remember we all have that certain something in common that gives us that love for the water lapping up against the hull, gentle breezes and of the canvas working it miracles.

Jeff Puckett

Tag Line: There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck,
alone, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship...
- Errol Flynn
Old 10-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
By that argument, the entire herSailnet area is irrelevant and divisive.

I don't think the OP posted (in an area where she probably expected only women to respond)
A forum that does not expect a group to participate (men), is divisive. By definition.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-26-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
A forum that does not expect a group to participate (men), is divisive. By definition.
Not at all. Look at all the sections here, especially the ones with all the different makes. You wouldn't expect someone who has only owned and sailed Tartans to give their opinion on Island Packets, would you? That they do is fine but I would expect the Island Packet people wouldn't take what they have to say to heart.

When it comes to men and women, we're very different with very different life experiences. If I want to speak to the women, I come to herSailnet. Isn't that why it was created? But by no means is it being divisive if I expect women to answer or that I would be most interested in what the women have to say.
Old 10-26-2012

Being a “different” type of person all my life, I always considered myself and opinions to be welcome in both men’s and women’s groups so I never bother to look at the restrictions. But this experience has once again hurt, just a little. Curious though, does your reply that mean you go to “hisSailnet” when you only want to talk to men sailors? Is there an "alternative lifestyle sailnet"? I guess I would be restricted to that one. You know, the one that you are respected for who you are not what “defects” you happened to be born with. But really, I just want to sail, I want to learn from others so I do not have to make every sailing mistake myself and frankly I just do not care what the gender is of those I can learn from. Mostly I like to be in the company of people who like to sail. I feel we ALL have very different life experiences and it is those differences that make us stronger as a group. But apparently there are still people in the world that want to divide us, and yes, I suppose I did not read the sign that said “no men allowed”, I apologize. Did not even see the label HerSailnet. I always thought I was welcome in both groups, but I keep getting hammered by those who think I should not be allowed in either group. Yes, I suppose I should be more careful and not post in a group that hates those who offer a different life experience. Again my apologies...

Quote Juliemor: "When it comes to men and women, we're very different with very different life experiences. If I want to speak to the women, I come to herSailnet. Isn't that why it was created?"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.