How many women here own their own boat? - Page 31 - SailNet Community
 295Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 316 Old 04-18-2017
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Re: How many women here own their own boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Peterson View Post
That's great to know and a super resource. I've been off the water for quite a while now so will need a little practice, but would really like trying this out (especially if they a white sail class for very slow boats..haha!)

How does one go about getting their official PHRF rating? The Sail Area/Disp ratio that is noted for this boat is less than what mine would be because my B28 has a small bowsprit and roller. Not sure if it was a factory modification or something done by a previous owner.
For the San Francisco Bay area races, we use the Yacht Racing Association. You most likely have a similar group in your area. Just ask around. You will give them the displacement, sail dimensions, and other info, which they will use as a formula to compute the PHRF. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of how the different regions establish these values, and though much of it is based on boat parameters, it is not a set number that translates the same to each region. I hear that if they haven't already issued a PHRF for your type of boat, then they are likely to guess at it until you have raced a bit and can show that you should rate higher (preferably).

I will keep an eye out for your posts. I'm one of those females who sails/races solo on her own boat, so I'm excited to welcome another to our ranks!

Carliane (s/v Kynntana)

Last edited by gamayun; 04-18-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 316 Old 04-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
For the San Francisco Bay area races, we use the Yacht Racing Association. You most likely have a similar group in your area. Just ask around. You will give them the displacement, sail dimensions, and other info, which they will use as a formula to compute the PHRF. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of how the different regions establish these values, and though much of it is based on boat parameters, it is not a set number that translates the same to each region. I hear that if they haven't already issued a PHRF for your type of boat, then they are likely to guess at it until you have raced a bit and can show that you should rate higher (preferably).

I will keep an eye out for your posts. I'm one of those females who sails/races solo on her own boat, so I'm excited to welcome another to our ranks!

Carliane (s/v Kynntana)
Yes, New England has the B28 rated as 189. I was pleasantly surprised to discover it was not higher.

Wow, you single hand race your Freedom? That's impressive and encouraging. In time I can become confident rounding the buoys solo. I will keep an eye on your posts also to learn how to set the boat up for efficient sailing. Thanks.

1973 Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39 "Brandy"
post #303 of 316 Old 04-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Welcome Gail.
Congrats on your boat. Those are good ones. hope she does well for you.
Thank you!! I am so looking forward to getting her in the water!!

1973 Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39 "Brandy"
post #304 of 316 Old 05-11-2017

Joining this thread late, but I'll chuck my 2 cents in.

I'm in the market for my first 100% self-financed, self-insured, self-everything boat (looking at a '79 Ericson 35 MKII). That being said, even in my previous boat owning experiences, I was the more experienced and more 'hands-on' of the couple. The bit that ticks me off is when we (my ex bf and I) would pull into a harbor, another cruiser would come over and immediately start talking to him about the passage and the intricacies of our boat, without so much as a glance at me...little did they know that my ex had no idea how to sail, and I, 'the woman' on board, was the licensed captain. Ugh.

I'd love to see more ladies out there not only taking full ownership of boats, but being active in the sailing community and really making a strong presence. I hope to be joining the ranks of owners this summer (i.e. people who buy a hole in the water into which they throw money) and I can't wait

Sail on, ladies. Sail on.
post #305 of 316 Old 05-11-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

good luck skipper27,

Welcome to the group.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #306 of 316 Old 05-11-2017

Cheers Rhapsody!
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #307 of 316 Old 05-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper27 View Post
Joining this thread late, but I'll chuck my 2 cents in.

The bit that ticks me off is when we (my ex bf and I) would pull into a harbor, another cruiser would come over and immediately start talking to him about the passage and the intricacies of our boat, without so much as a glance at me...little did they know that my ex had no idea how to sail, and I, 'the woman' on board, was the licensed captain. Ugh.

Sail on, ladies. Sail on.
I saw that in action when I took my week long Cruise and Learn charter and course. Our live aboard instructor was a petite woman who was a couple of decades younger than me. When we stopped in a marina, she had me take the helm to get the boat handling and docking experience. She stood near me and gave me quiet instruction so it wasn't obvious that I was newbie.

Guys who came on the dock to catch our lines would ask me how I wanted to be tied off. The first couple of times she hesitated to speak. I guess, as a Canadian, she had heard that some American men have fragile egos and she didn't want to embarrass me. The first time I just said, "I don't know. I'm a student sailor. This the first time I've ever docked a sailboat. You'll have to ask my sailing instructor here." She seemed amused by the looks on guys' faces. It happened the whole week.

It happens the other way around as well. I was a stay at home dad with our kids, when they were little and I am the cook in our house. After 29 years of marriage, we still get friends who occasionally forget and compliment my wife on dinner. She will say, "Oh, thank him. He did all the cooking."

When I used to take my kids to the park with all the moms, when my kids get hurt and come to me crying, there would occasionally be a woman who would step in their path and swoop them up to comfort them. I encountered occasional women who would come over and offer to take my child from my arms to take care of them. It happened the most with my daughter. There seemed to be something about some of the women that they felt that a girl really needed comforting from a mom and not a dad.

I frequently had women say, "Oh, that's nice that you help your wife by taking the kids." I'd say, "Actually I have them all day everyday. She helps me taking them on Saturdays."

Funny world.
post #308 of 316 Old 05-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post

Funny world.
Whew yeah I hear you! Thanks for being a stand-up guy - i.e. an overall good person who doesn't give a hoot about the stereotypical gender roles. Hopefully someday it won't be strange to see stay-at-home dads and lady captains!
post #309 of 316 Old 05-11-2017
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Awesome perspective, Midwesterner! Assumptions about gender/culture/ethnicity/religion/whatever drive me crazy, but it's hard not to either fall into the same mindset or to feel oft put by them when affected directly. A smile and gentle correction usually set most people straight Women who handle their boats are, as a whole, breaking gender norms, which is a good thing for everyone, especially the younger people who are just forming their own mindsets.
post #310 of 316 Old 05-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper27 View Post
.....The bit that ticks me off is when we (my ex bf and I) would pull into a harbor, another cruiser would come over and immediately start talking to him ......
Did that surprise you?
Did you find it unusual?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.