Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree171Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: How many women here own their own boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Not at all. Look at all the sections here, especially the ones with all the different makes. You wouldn't expect someone who has only owned and sailed Tartans to give their opinion on Island Packets, would you? That they do is fine but I would expect the Island Packet people wouldn't take what they have to say to heart.

When it comes to men and women, we're very different with very different life experiences. If I want to speak to the women, I come to herSailnet. Isn't that why it was created? But by no means is it being divisive if I expect women to answer or that I would be most interested in what the women have to say.
Okay. Your good with SN creating a hisSailnet to exclude your gender's participation? If so, I get your point.

Edit: to be clear, I would prefer neither.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 10-26-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2012

Spirit of Freedom is on a distinguished road

Goodness! I didn't realize men were so sensitive and worried about being left out of women's conversations!! Female skippers/owners ARE a rarity...and we get treated different in the "real world" then male skippers/owners do. I can personally attest to it!! Sometimes a girl just wants to talk to other girls... I don't get offended when guys want to hang out with guys and do "guy talk"... I am new to SailNet, and was very pleased to discover herSailNet as I am usually the only women in the group!

Men and women DO look at the world, including sailing, very differently. And, as a former sailing instructor I know that they learn very differently---having taught women, men and couples. Hence the great idea of a mini-forum for women in an obviously male dominated sport/lifestyle.

But hey! If you want to discuss the best way to shave your legs on a boat without clogging up the sump pump, go ahead and jump in! Or, how to manage single-hand cruising when you lack height and upper body strength. Or how about how to approach mechanics, riggers, repair shops etc. that pre-suppose because you are a woman you don't really know much. How about a discussion of how to handle the men on the dock that watch you come in alone, make a perfect landing, and then have the nerve to ask you if your husband knows you have the boat out alone? (Seriously, that happened to me!) So jump on in, expose your feminine side and share! It's all good!
Old 10-26-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

I opened this thread because the question was interesting to me and because it was in the new posts and I did not notice that it was in the hersailnet forum.
Julie's point that she wanted to talk to women is totally understandable but she now realizes that all the forums on sailnet are open to all members and their input should be taken as it is offered and intended.
I once made a big stink at church when a young woman wanted to start a women's group. In that conversation I learned once again that both men and women need "same sex" associations for a miriad of reasons, some well put by Spirit of Freedom.
Women are making great strides in our society towards equality with men in daily life. But if you went to school before Title X, you probably did not experience that change and your learning curve might be a little longer than today's young crowd.
Whatever, I just wish my wife would go out and get that 35 footer and ask me to help her take delivery.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 10-26-2012

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch

Hiee all,

Well I own my own boat. I bought a fixer upper 3 years ago and spent 2 years getting her ready for the water once again. I spent this year getting a bit of a feel for her and trying to regain some of my prior experience, as I have not sailed in many decades. This boat was purchased as a stepping stone to regain experience/confidence. I wanted to learn how to do repairs and hence the fixer upper. In four years time I hope to move up to a 35 foot boat and head for the caribbean during the winter and spend the summers here in Canada.

c_witch
Old 10-26-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

I did not mean to hurt anyone by my comment, and I'm sorry if I did. Maybe I didn't explain myself well.

It's hard to argue that the vast majority of posts here are made by men. Not all women are completely comfortable in an all or mostly male environment. I think that's why herSailnet was created. So women could feel welcome here. (Admins: correct me if I'm wrong.) Creating a hisSailnet would be kinda silly because every section here is dominated by men. And I have no problem with that and never did.

If this was a forum about hair, nails, and makeup (we'll call it HairNet ), I would be perfectly okay with a section created just for men, so that they knew they too were welcome to participate. I see nothing divisive about that.

The existence of gender identified sections does not mean the exclusion of the other gender. It only means that one can go to that section and expect participation primarily by the gender identified in the section's title.

That this thread turned into alluding to the herSailnet section is, by it's very existence, divisive really surprises me. I never saw that coming. All I wanted to know was how many women here own their own boat.
ccriders likes this.
Old 10-26-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
That this thread turned into alluding to the herSailnet section is, by it's very existence, divisive really surprises me. I never saw that coming. ...
Almost every message thread in herSailnet gets at least one post from men wondering why it exists. That's normal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-26-2012

Jeff_Mac22 is on a distinguished road

It is just so sad that women do not feel like they can communicate in an open and level area. And it is true that not all men are comfortable with women talking at all. But we try to change that every day. I just wish people would treat all others with respect and kindness regardless of gender. It is so hard for some people to understand, yes, in the 21st century women are captains and men can be passengers without shame and those with alternative lifestyles can think as well. Some states do prohibit discrimination based on gender identity but not all. BUT not all. For example During the 2012 Idaho legislative session, they introduced a bill that would revise the Idaho Human Rights Act to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. In a scene reminiscent of a 1950’s anti-comunist event, and in spite of an emotional plea from Sen. Malepeai, it only took the committee five minutes to vote to reject even the printing of the bill and rejected allowing a public viewing or public comment or a public vote on the bill. Those for gender rights were silenced in just five minutes. Exclusion is just wrong for man or woman or others time to grow up people...
inshallamiami and LilMsMagic like this.
Old 10-26-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Yeah, and remember, we failed to pass the equal rights amendment. Which only indicates the depth of men's paranoia.
Old 10-26-2012

Jeff_Mac22 is on a distinguished road

You are so correct. Yep, so sad. Even women voted against it... Does anybody know why we do nto pass it now?
Old 10-26-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

I can think of an excellent reason to bar men. Too many here on sailnet come onto a thread, misread what is plainly written, and start endlessly arguing about some irrelevant trivia that takes the thread way off track. All they care about is their argument. It interferes with people communicating and lowers the tone and value of sailnet.

Pages here of arguing about what "sole ownership" - not written anywhere - or some such means, and asking for a clarification of the original question. Hey boys, if you are so smart, how about reading the first post, written in plain black and white English, where you will find the question amplified into:

"I was just wondering how many women here are the primary owners of their boat?"

Is that really so difficult to understand? What's to argue about? Divisiveness.... , good grief!

And thank you to those who wrote pleasant and funny things about lives, wives, daughters, etc., and who did not add to the argument. You are what makes sailnet great.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.