Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
DIAMONDS, your diamond, may not be forever

Today my wife lost the diamond out of her ring. She is UPSET! Ladies, check your ring, here is how. A simple eyeball check is way better than nothing, any sort of magnifier check is much better. Each prong should have a hook on the end hooking around the edge of the diamond. The hooks should be down tight! Any space at the end can let a thread snag and loosen the hook. The hooks can be raised on the end (bad), cut by the diamond so they are loose, or just plain worn short or gone from bumping into things.

It's a good idea to have a jeweler check your ring every once in a while, most will do it for free.

Sure you can buy another diamond, but it will not be "the" diamond.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: DIAMONDS, your diamond, may not be forever

Same thing's happened to my wife as well... good advice.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-16-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Better get a cheap wedding band for boating. When my wife was in the USCG she lost 2 wedding rings overboard and 2 pairs of expensive sunglasses. Now it's cheap rings and $20.00 glasses.
davidpm, MarkofSeaLife and groggy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Today my wife lost the diamond out of her ring. She is UPSET! Ladies, check your ring, here is how. A simple eyeball check is way better than nothing, any sort of magnifier check is much better. Each prong should have a hook on the end hooking around the edge of the diamond. The hooks should be down tight! Any space at the end can let a thread snag and loosen the hook. The hooks can be raised on the end (bad), cut by the diamond so they are loose, or just plain worn short or gone from bumping into things.

It's a good idea to have a jeweler check your ring every once in a while, most will do it for free.

Sure you can buy another diamond, but it will not be "the" diamond.
That is unfortunate but I have to ask, why would one wear any jewelry aboard the boat anyway. I know of two cases where folks got their rings hung up in sheets and fingers pulled into turning blocks/winches and it is a horrible way to loose a finger which is horrible in any event. I also know one fellow that insisted on wearing a gold chain with a little gold anchor on it despite several comments that it was dangerous and foolish. He was quite proud if it and persisted, however, until one day when he was checking something on his motor and the damned thing slipped out of his T-shirt and got hooked in his alternator belt. He was jerked down so fast he didn't have time to react and the left side of his face got shredded by the cooling vanes on his alternator before the chain broke and freed him. Do Not Wear Jewelry Aboard the Boat. Keep it in a purse or pocket and put it on once ashore if you must wear the stuff at all.

FWIW...

PS: When we acquired our second boat, in the early 70's, I found a diamond ear-ring stuck in the strum box in the filthy oily wet bilge the PO kindly left us. After a little rooting around in the muck, I found it's mate. About 1/2 carat each. I considered them a consolation prize and my wife still wears them.
eherlihy and Captainmeme like this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-17-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

My ring fell off my finger and stopped on the deck...wife insists I now NOT where my ring when sailing, in fact, even from the get go, overall, she understands why I do not wear jewelry of too many types and styles while at work. Now if I could just get her to take hers off when in the yard gardening. It the BIG diamond has a very small chip on it......grrrrrrrrr.........Yeah she wears gloves. but those will wear thru at the diamond part, then it is exposed and damaged before you realize what happened.

Or the case I know of an electrician, that wore a small hole thru his gloves, got ahold of a live as normal in his day job at local power company, a 1" diam wire, got electrocuted, wife insisted upon him wearing his ring. so he did. She realizes too late that this insistence killed her husband of 30 yrs!

Marty
Old 11-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

My sister, one year younger, lost the ring finger on her left hand to a (non-sailing) accident that caught the ring she was wearing, when were where 9 and 10 years old respectively. I was there. I would never want to see rings worn anywhere near the lines.

The prongs that hold any stone in can become thin from daily wear, even if they are fully pressed down. If the piece has serious sentimental value, it should be cleaned and inspected yearly. Expect to replace the prongs over a lifetime. If valuable, be sure to add a rider to your homeowner policy, as ordinary coverage won't reimburse you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-17-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Only James Bond has Diamonds Forever

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-17-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"When my wife was in the USCG she lost 2 wedding rings overboard and 2 pairs of expensive sunglasses."
Each of those is a $10,000 MARPOL violation, and of course, if she doesn't cite herself for the violation, that's what, malfeasance and dereliction of duty as well?
So now that she's out of the USCG...you have put strainers on all the sink drains, right?
Old 01-09-2013

dongreerps is on a distinguished road

Wedding ring type rings can, and have caught on a protruding object, and caused degloving of the finger, which usually leads to amputation. Engagement rings can get caught by a flying line, and pull the finger into a winch, leading to a crushed finger. Both easily avoidable. If you must wear rings on board, please go to a cooperative jeweler, and have him cut two grooves on opposite sides of the inside of the ring. The grooves must be deep enough so that if the ring is caught, it will break before dragging your finger into oblivion.
By the same token, long hair around winches and flying lines is dangerous. The hair can get caught up in the flying line, and if the line then jerks hard, a scalping injury will follow.
Old 01-09-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

If it concerns you take your ring to a jeweler and have them put a safety slice in the back - so the ring breaks before your finger becomes fish food.
PsychedChicken likes this.