Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012
GennyWinch

dsullyec1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to dsullyec1
Re: Keeping track of recipes ...

Ohhh...that doesn't sound like fun at all, WingnWing. Was there water coming into the Bilge? I hope not, that could be serious.

I truly hope I like living aboard as much as you. I've only been on a sailboat several times, and it was only for a few hours each time. Didn't get seasick, so that's a plus. However, actually living on board is a completely new way to live life. Time will tell. Truthfully, I am looking forward to it. A new chapter in life.

As for recipes collecting, I really like recipes on paper so I can pin it up in front of me or prop up a book and look at it. To me, a cookbook with goop all over it is proof of a good recipe and book. I don't have all the fancy tech tools that are being mentioned here, and really don't think I want them. Just my handy computer is all I want. But in the kitchen, I prefer paper. I know...just an old-fashioned girl. (Anachronism?)

We love our S2-11C. You're right, BlJones, it has so much room below, especially the galley, the head and the master berth. The head is about 3 times larger than others we've seen and even has a small bathtub. The galley is about 1 1/2X larger, and the master berth is like a bedroom. We think we'll love living on it. It's an older boat (Tiara doesn't make S2's anymore, only power boats) but it's in good shape...we think she has a lot of life left in her, and plan on caring for her so she'll stay that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Dsullyec1, thanx for your concern, no, it was fresh water. That makes the fix important, rather than urgent.

We seem much alike, I also enjoy cookbooks that show a bit of their "history," wine spills, oil spatters and all. Granted, I don't have many cookbooks any more, get most of my recipe inspirations online. My regular go-tos, though, are all paper.

As for the tech stuff, I've found that for recreational reading, novels and the like, can't beat a Nook/Kindle. Moving aboard, you suddenly realize that the books you have with you, are all you have. Once you've read them, then what? Books, along with cooking condiments, souvenir t-shirts, and a few other items, are a few of the categories of possessions that seem to multiply and gradually accumulate through your life, no matter how careful you are. x10 when you're living in a small space like a boat. So, space alone seems to dictate that some of your books are either given away when you've finished them, or stored in electronic format to conserve space. We've only got so many shelves and they're mostly filled with boat reference books. Paper books are quite subject to mold aboard. Plus, we can get e-books from our library wherever we are, whatever port we're in that has signal. LOVE it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 12-26-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Thank you all for the great responses!

I have not decided how I am going to keep track of the recipes, but the comments you have provided really give me a lot of ideas.

One thing that was mentioned in this thread by a number of people (chef2sail, chuckles, maybe someone else) is that some don't always use recipes, and I smiled when I read that because that is one of the reasons I am trying to figure out how to keep track of recipes. What I mean is that I also don't cook with recipes, I like having food taste a little different every time I make it, seasoned to taste. What I have found, however, is that I don't like surprises when I do pressure canning and get "interesting" results and then have to eat 16 pints of it so that is the motivation for starting the thread -- I want to find a way to keep track of these recipes I have created so that I get a more consistent canning product. I want to be able to make batch after batch of the same thing and have it taste the same every time I make it, unless I decide to change the recipe.

Please support my
Old 12-26-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Nice boat Dsullyec1 / Diane.

Welcome to the center cockpit club
Old 12-26-2012
GennyWinch

Hi Chuckles,
Thanks for the welcome. We love the center cockpit. Are there quite a few with center cockpits?

Diane

years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
Old 12-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Plastic waterproof Ipad cover to protect against spills is an idea. They make stands for the ipad as well.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-26-2012
GennyWinch

WingnWing, I do have a kindle, so maybe I'm not that old fashioned after all. We traveled (on land) to Ecuador, Panama, and Costa Rica for 5 months last year and were both so thankful we had invested in kindles! We love to read, and when one travels, there just isn't room for carrying a bunch of books, and it's often difficult to find English printed books in some countries. We absolutely adore our kindles and don't go anywhere without them.

As for the cookbooks, I'll only have a couple (probably three), the one I just bought (Cruisers Chef Cookbook), and another on crockpot recipes, and hopefully one more on pressure cooking recipes. I, too, have been getting lots of recipes online. Even opened a "Pinterest" page for "Recipes for live-aboards" and have been selecting easy recipes to save there.

I also thought about the idea of having a small recipe box like I used to have, but 1/3 the size, with recipes on small index cards in a small recipe box. OR, maybe put recipes on index cards, put them in plastic, something like a photo album type of book.

I was glad to hear that your bilge problem is not a major one. Whew! I dread the day we start having major problems and only hope those are far off in the future.

We had looked at a CSY 33' before we found the S2-11C we're buying. The CSY has lovely lines, and we loved the cockpit. The reason we didn't go for it was because it had a ton of work we would've needed to do, and we just didn't want to do that much work for the price they were asking. I hope you're enjoying living on yours. It seems like a boat that would be very livable. Are you staying warm on it this time of year? We won't need our heater very much down in Kemah (by Galveston, TX), but we at least have the option of aircond vs. heat...which I like. I would think you'd really need heat very much at this time of year, unless you're anchored in a warmer place.

Stay safe!!
Diane

Mark Twain
Old 12-26-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Diane, not to totally hijack this thread, just sent you a PM.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 12-26-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Diane, not to totally hijack this thread, just sent you a PM.
I'm the OP, feel free to hijack the thread, I think I got out of it what I needed.

Please support my
Old 06-08-2013

Ruby Vee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
I tried both. For space-saving purposes, I loved the idea of keeping them electronically. Dutifully transcribed, scanned, indexed, PDF-ed, all my favorite recipes and stored them on my Kindle. Then realized ... I'm sometimes a messy cook. The consequences of splashing hot soup on a sensitive electronic device, versus splashing hot soup on a printed page, are not comparable. Printed them all out and stored them in a looseleaf notebook. In a nod to the space constraints of the boat, the book uses half sheets, or 5x9 instead of 8-1/2 x 11.
I'm messy, too. I put the sensitive electronic device in a sealed plastic ziplock bag -- no hot soup splashes to ruin the device. Keeps it safe from the odd drips of water, too.