SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   herSailNet (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/)
-   -   Keeping track of recipes ... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/95212-keeping-track-recipes.html)

wind_magic 12-25-2012 09:22 PM

Keeping track of recipes ...

Yes, I know there is a Provisioning forum, and yes, it is sexist to assume that women are the ones doing the cooking, but if we can get past that then I have a question ..

How do you keep track of your cooking and canning recipes ?

I'm torn between trying to keep them electronically and keeping them in a book of some kind, or maybe on index cards.

What works best on your boat ?

wingNwing 12-25-2012 09:53 PM

Re: Keeping track of recipes ...

I tried both. For space-saving purposes, I loved the idea of keeping them electronically. Dutifully transcribed, scanned, indexed, PDF-ed, all my favorite recipes and stored them on my Kindle. Then realized ... I'm sometimes a messy cook. The consequences of splashing hot soup on a sensitive electronic device, versus splashing hot soup on a printed page, are not comparable. Printed them all out and stored them in a looseleaf notebook. In a nod to the space constraints of the boat, the book uses half sheets, or 5x9 instead of 8-1/2 x 11.

MarkofSeaLife 12-25-2012 10:01 PM

Ill ignore the sexist remark. :)

I keep mine on computer (not the ipad) because When I downlad a recipe off the net I will adjust it to my own purposes. I can then save it, or save my version of it. Also I tend to put a number of recipes of the same thing on one page if theres a few good ones.

The basic trouble I had was indexing them so I can find them easily.
Do you put Creamy Chicken Pasta under creamy, chicken or pasta? Chicken, pf course as the pasta is just the carbohydrate and could be rice etc and the creamy is a style of the chicken.

chef2sail 12-25-2012 11:51 PM

:laugher:laugher:laugherWhats a recipie????????:laugher:laugher:laugher

Chefs dont use them:laugher:laugher:laugher:laugher:laugher

Use a flash drive. Down load onto hard drive. That way someone can give you their recipies easily also.

dave

dsullyec1 12-26-2012 12:20 AM

I like your suggestion, WingnWing. My husband and I are in the process of buying a boat (S2-11C) and hope to begin as live-aboards by the second week in January.

I'm a little concerned about using the stove/oven because they are fueled by alcohol...and I've never cooked with alcohol. I'm starting to save up recipes (online, at this point) and have purchased "Cruising Chef Cookbook" by Michael Greenwald. I want to get a binder to put recipes on paper...just our favorite meals...because, as you mentioned, food tends to fly about while cooking, especially on a boat I would think.

I also like the idea of having a flash drive to save online recipes that I can transfer to a file online. Good idea.

bljones 12-26-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsullyec1 (Post 966893)
I like your suggestion, WingnWing. My husband and I are in the process of buying a boat (S2-11C) and hope to begin as live-aboards by the second week in January.

I'm a little concerned about using the stove/oven because they are fueled by alcohol...and I've never cooked with alcohol. I'm starting to save up recipes (online, at this point) and have purchased "Cruising Chef Cookbook" by Michael Greenwald. I want to get a binder to put recipes on paper...just our favorite meals...because, as you mentioned, food tends to fly about while cooking, especially on a boat I would think.

I also like the idea of having a flash drive to save online recipes that I can transfer to a file online. Good idea.

I like the S2 11C- she is a boat with a layout that makes great use of the entire hull. I have had no problems cooking on an unpressurized alcohol stove for several seasons.
Dock Six Chronicles: Two-Burner Tastiness: The Recipes

As far as recipe (or as i call them "ideas") storage, anything on paper i like i have scanned onto my netbook and stored on a flash drive, because, as C2S said, it is a great way to share recipes, but also i keep an SD card of "go-to's" that I can drop into my e-reader, which is easier to work with in a small galley.

brokesailor 12-26-2012 08:52 AM

Keeping track of recipes ...

Paprika. An app for your IPad. You can then check which recipes you plan for and generates a shopping list.

chucklesR 12-26-2012 09:17 AM

I've never actually cooked with a recipe in front of me.

I read them in books and such, then wing it. I'm still alive, and the wife eats my food and seems to like it.

chef2sail 12-26-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 966938)
I've never actually cooked with a recipe in front of me.

I read them in books and such, then wing it. I'm still alive, and the wife eats my food and seems to like it.

The recipies are not for you Chuck, they are for the person who likes what you have made and wants to try and copy it, its a complement:):) .Or for someone who makes something they like and want to able to duplicate it a month later.

The average person has the talent or ability to cook and adjust to their particular taste. Some like my wife need a step by step process and ingredient list. Others use a recipe like a general outline.

When ever I have been asked to give a recipe to be published in a magazine or have contributed toa published cookbook. I try and take both kind of people into account by leaving flexabiity of ingredients there but at the same time defining the process/ method technique of cooking.

People modify, change, add ingredients, but no one invents a new way to saute, roast etc.

wingNwing 12-26-2012 10:16 AM

Yeah, I also treat recipes more of an inspiration than a set of chemistry lab instructions (except for baking). And, when you're cruising dinner is often based on what's available in the market or onboard rather than exactly what a recipe calls for in any case.

In a galley that's 4' x 5' including all the countertops, appliances, floor space and storage, who has room for a safe place for a Nook/Kindle/iPad?

Dsullyec1, best wishes on moving aboard! We've been at it for 10 years now and absolutely love it. (Even last night at midnight, when we discovered that not one, not two, but all three bilge pumps and backups weren't working! Still don't miss living on land!)