Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Female ASA Instructors?

Here's the deal... My wife and I took ASA 103 and 104 last year. I passed both. She only passed the 103. She and I both think this is because the instructor had a kind of "macho" attitude and really wasn't very good at teaching a woman.

This experience somewhat put her off on sailing. The good news is that a month or so ago we did a week long charter in the BVIs and my wife enjoyed it very much. On the last day, she actually suggested that we do some tacking back and forth, just so that she could practice. (FYI, she handles the helm most of the time, while I work the sheets, winches, docklines, etc.)

I think she would like to try again to get her ASA 104 certification, but it would definitely be necessary to find just the right instructor. I'm thinking she would be most open to a woman instructor--or at the very least a man who had a good reputation for teaching women.

So, any suggestions? By the way, we are located in the Tampa, FL area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Female ASA Instructors?

http://www.womanship.com/

Learn to sail with Her Ladyship Sailing, offering women sailing courses in Annapolis, the Florida Keys, the Bahamas and more!

FWS
Wix.com TEST SITE 1 created by gloriadavis based on Color and Co | Wix.com
The Florida Women's Sailing Association

Founded in 1973 to promote and encourage the growth of women's sailing groups along the West coast of Florida, the FWSA functions to:

Encourage the sport of womens interclub yacht racing
Foster and encourage social fellowships pertaining to all things nautical between member clubs and similar associations
Improve communication between clubs
Forward and advance sailing in all its phases through education and sailing clinics
Promote and coordinate interclub, match team racing and other sailing events for and between its members under uniform rules.

Currently there are eleven member clubs with more than four hundred women racing once a week in their respective sailing clubs on the Florida West Coast. Membership is open and we welcome additional sailing clubs.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 01-07-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-07-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I don't have a suggestion for a teacher for you, but I do hope your wife hangs in there. It's a very good sign that she's asking to expand her skills. Kudos to you for being patient (as far as I can tell from your post) and encouraging. I've had to ask couples to separate in my nav classes because they can't get along to draw a course on a chart. Heaven knows how they get along on a boat.

Best of luck to her!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-03-2013

GCsailor is on a distinguished road

I am on the other side of the gulf coast, so the instructors I know are in Texas.

Captain Lucy at South Coast Sailing Adventures is superb if you end up here. South Coast Sailing Adventures, Charters and Sailing School
Old 05-11-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you are still looking and are willing to travel but there is a woman that owns a school in the San Francisco Bay Area. She even wrote the book on it. She was one of the authors of the latest ASA sailing manuals. Her classes are also fairly well prepared the ASA 104 is 3 days as opposed to a 2 day 103/104 combo.

Our Crew

You can make a vacation out of it and sail on the bay, maybe watch the America's Cup boats.
Old 05-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Does Offshore Sailing School in St. Pete, Ft. Meyers or Captiva have any female instructors? Or, is that where you took your lessons?

Funny anecdote. When my wife first learned to sail, I went along. It was great, by the way. The instructor was definitely a bit of a hard a$$. A very good instructor, but we both recall that after he gave an instruction and you complied, he always said "thank you". However, the tone always came across like "F---- you". Still, she learned a lot and even references that he taught her to do things a certain way to this day.

Anyway, during the course, rather than buckle, she took it on. She volunteered to be the one to grind up the main halyard every time. She was not going to be intimidated. Very proud of her. It's just me she doesn't want telling her what to do.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-11-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

If you/she is in the Chesapeake, this guy has a nice approach. I haven't sailed with him, but have met him several times and he's a class act: Chesapeake Flotillas - Women Under Sail

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: