Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: Windbreakers/Warmth

WM has a descent looking jacket with a high visibility hood for around $100. I bought my lovely bride a very nice Henry Lloyd for $39 (usually over $100) from BoatersWorld.

If you're a casual cruiser, I'd suggest a lightweight set and layer the inside with fleece and sweaters. I'd also keep a heavy set of foulies on board for when it's really nasty. We have our ski parkas on board thru May and from early September on. The latest we've sailed is November 14th. To put that in perspective, this is Maine and I have to go in to mid thigh to launch . . . and I don't own waders.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013

sixdaytk is on a distinguished road
Windbreakers/Warmth

You can save some money by shopping REI vs the clothing made for sailing. After blown out knees and etc forced me out of the mountains (skiing) I adapted my clothing for sailing. A good midweight synthetic base layer, polar fleece mid layer, and a breathable outer layer can be had for less than the cost of an expensive Gill outer shell. And still be very functional.
Old 03-04-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

I'm relatively new to sailing, but I'm a year-round bicyclist in Minneapolis and I've found that my cold-weather cycling gear works out well for sailing. Breathable, layerable, lightweight, and made for movement. REI or your local cycle shop could help you out.
Tim R. likes this.
Old 03-04-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

In Canada we have Mark's Work Warehouse, and Workwear World... they often have pretty decent foul weather sets for far less than Gill/Gull/HH prices.. and unless extended offshore trips are planned I think these are cost effective.

Everything leaks eventually - these sets cost around $150, often on sale for less.. do the math...

When Mustang first came out with their 'cruiser suits' ( non-survival 'overalls') we all bought them, they provided insulation, floatation all in one.. but soon found them to be too restrictive, often too warm (esp when actually 'doing' anything) and it was either 'all or nothing'. We went to layers, pants and jacket with the ability to adjust on the fly to the conditions.. esp racing, for the beat you needed more, but it was quickly too much on the runs. Those suits became personal suanas.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-04-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The REI eVent house branded rain jacket is nicely made and does come in larger women's sizes than most jackets. I've worn one most of the times that I've been on the water this fall/winter:
REI Kimtah Rain Jacket - Women's - Free Shipping at REI.com

They come on sale a few times a year and then are in the $150 range (about 25-30% off).
Old 03-10-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering myself the difference between a pieced together foul weather outfit from REI and actual marine foul weather gear. I'm thinking it's only in the logo. I just got a Icebreaker(sportwool) base layer, a marmot zip up jacket and matching lime green(for high visibility) marmot rain jacket for my foulies and I don't think a marine brand would be better, maybe not even as good.

Cheaper though. You can piece together a pretty spendy outfit at REI.

At Dick's there are some good quality North Face or Columbia rain jackets and pants at about 60 dollars a piece. With a good jacket underneath I think you'd be well served.
jimgo likes this.
Old 03-10-2013
always busy with sailing

"Marine" foul weather gear has patches and reinforcement in different areas. For instance the butt on my foul weather pants is reinforced and has a coarser weave cloth that won't slip on seats too easily. They are cut higher in the waist, so my jacket overlaps by quite a bit. They are insulated a bit like ski pants, but not so much to make them too warm. They breath pretty well and are waterproof. They weren't that expensive, I think they cost me $100. The features are worth it compared to cheaper non-breathable rain pants like the Columbia ones you've mentioned.

I use jackets that I already have (living in Seattle means that I have a large supply of good waterproof jackets), but found it useful to buy proper foul weather pants.
Old 03-10-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
"Marine" foul weather gear has patches and reinforcement in different areas. For instance the butt on my foul weather pants is reinforced and has a coarser weave cloth that won't slip on seats too easily. They are cut higher in the waist, so my jacket overlaps by quite a bit. They are insulated a bit like ski pants, but not so much to make them too warm. They breath pretty well and are waterproof.
They sound exactly like snowboard pants. Snowboard pants are reinforced in the butt for when you are sitting in the snow putting on your boots/bindings.

reinforced at the knee

cut higher at the waist mostly, so snow wont get up your jacket and down your pants.

alot of them aren't that warm, they are made to be worn in spring temps or with a base layer.

waterproof and breatheable.
Old 03-10-2013
always busy with sailing

They are like snowboard pants, and I have sailed a lot in my snowboard pants. One difference is that the cuffs aren't so huge because you don't need to fit them over snowboard boots. I do trip on my snowboard pants pretty easily when I'm wearing them with normal or sailing shoes.

The pricing isn't that different, so if you don't already have snowboard pants I'm not sure that you'll find those for much cheaper than sailing pants.
Old 03-14-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

Skiers are out in cold weather all the time and stay warm... Why not be inspired by them? Or mountain climbers? It gives you a different perspective for essentially the same problem.... And, having the interior space of a boat, you can comfortably shed or add layers that you take along, just in case...