Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Windbreakers/Warmth

We'll be out on the water a little early this year (or at least, I hope to be), and I'd like to stay out until at least early November. That means my wife will need a jacket that can handle temps in the 30's to 40's, plus wind and possibly rain. I'd really like to find something that has multiple layers, so she can add/remove layers as needed. My wife is (barely) "plus size" and she is well endowed. So, finding a jacket that fits, and is comfortable, and meets the other requirements, is difficult. Does anyone have any recommendations for comfortable, multi-layer jackets? Are we better off just getting a foul weather shell and a separate fleece for under it?

We don't have any West Marines close by (well, there's one about 45 minutes away, but it is TINY and the selection is horrible), so just going and trying something on isn't really that easy. We do have an REI in our area (also not exactly close, but not as far as West Marine), and I'm thinking it may be worth us heading over there to check out the selection. Any other ideas are appreciated!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Windbreakers/Warmth

You sholuld have both. A good set of foulies which breathe as well as differnt wieght water resistant jackets. Layering is way to go. For the wind jackets I would say you can get anywhere, Krei, LL bean, Hewlly Hansem, or even Dicks sporting goods.

For the foulies ( and boots) I would say go get them fitted as every size is different. The best prices for these are usually at the Annapoilis or other boats shows. So if you can wait till Oct...do it. Youll know more what you need then.

BTW most NJ marinas require pull out on Oct 1.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-04-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

We sail from May 1st to Dec 1st here in Maine. What makes a huge difference is a full enclosure. We used to make fun of the IPs and Hunters with the full enclosures in the summer but now we have found a great use for ours. It converts to a screen enclosure in the summers and keeps the bugs out. The screens also provide just the right amount of privacy and keeps some wind and moisture out so we do not usually use the glass until October.

We have full foulies and they are so uncomfortable, they rarely get used. More often we use our layers of wool undergarments, fleece and breathable shells. Fingers and toes can get cold easily if you do not have proper protection there. Turtle Fur for the neck and a good wool watch cap for the head. I have trouble with wool hats so I usually use a good quality fleece hat.

We buy most of our outdoor clothing at EMS.

We also have a 12v driven hydronic diesel furnace so getting warmed up is quite easy.

Where in western suburbs are you? I grew up in Ambler.
chef2sail likes this.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Tim, I'm right near your old stomping grounds. I'm in North Wales.

What is EMS?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-04-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

a standard Gill jacket with a zip out liner, fleece jacket, 'hoodie' type sweatshirt, t shirt for the upper - layer as needed.
swim trunks, sweat pants, blue jeans, rain pants for the bottom.
That pretty much covers every thing but shoes, hats and gloves.
I don't think you really need 'marine' stuff, but if you think you do break out your savings account.

And a full enclosure with screen inserts, a 1 lb propane bulb with a 1500 btu heater on it.
Old 03-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Dave,
Thanks for the suggestions. There's an Eddie Bauer in the mall near us, so we may try there and Dicks. If she can't find anything at those stores, then we'll probably head to REI.

I asked the marina owner about haul-outs; he said that he schedules them at the customer/owner's request. He starts hauling in early October, but he doesn't rush it and is glad for the folks who want to hang out a bit because it lets him haul at his own pace. So, I'm only happy to oblige!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Chuck, I didn't see a Gill with zip-out liner. That's what I was looking for.

I don't need "marine," but do want something that is designed for movement, not just looking pretty. If I get knocked out by the boom, I'd like her to be able to at least be able to move her arms freely to wave down passing boaters!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-04-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Tim, I'm right near your old stomping grounds. I'm in North Wales.

What is EMS?
Then you buy your water from my brother. He and his wife work for NW Water.

Eastern Mountain Sports. I think the closest one is in Collegeville.

Eastern Mountain Sports - Store Locator

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I was from the western Philly burbs also ( Bryn Mawr) and used yo go up to Blue Bell and Willow Grove a lot in high school. Nice area,

EB will work.

Thats great he will let you haul later....Last out= first in and you wont get blocked by anyone.
jimgo likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Tim, thanks for the link. According to their site, there's an EMS in Warrenton, which is even closer than Collegeville. I'll add that to the ever-expanding list of places to try.

Thanks everyone - I was really frustrated yesterday. We were driving back from New York City and I called a West Marine that was on the way, and they said that they didn't have anything in stock. We tried a few outlet stores (saw some decent stuff for men at Nautica and Tommy Hillfiger), but didn't have any luck, and I wasn't sure where else to look.
1975 Albacore 15