Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree229Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Which is a great example of sexism- why is it HER job to pick up the kids off the bus? Why does SHE have to take time off work?......
Why is it not? The fact that more women assume this role does not prove they are forced into it. When I had little kids, I brought them to school in the morning, because my wife had to be to work too early. However, I can absolutely guarantee that she felt a need to do so, more than I.

To this day, she feels like she has to 'be there'. No one is telling her to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

To this day, she feels like she has to 'be there'. No one is telling her to.
But you're also not telling her that she doesn't have to, because you will. If you don't do it, she has to, so saying she isn't "forced" into it isn't accurate. When you have to do something because somebody else feels it's not their job, you're being forced to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-10-2013

kcblues57 is on a distinguished road

Well, this thread got my attention. Personally I don't think the question should be "is sailing sexist" but instead should be "why should I give a flying flip if it's sexist?" Nobody is stopping me from buying a boat and filling that hole in the water with lots of my hard-earned money, so who cares if the guy at the marina assumes my husband is the captain? Although for the record, I've never had the sense anyone at our marina sees me as anything but an equal.

When I was in high school and my friends told me the boys don't like smart girls, I graduated top of my class anyway. When my male co-worker said he'd never work for a woman, I earned the manager position anyway--and lo and behold, he actually would work for a woman! My husband is physically-challenged so I'm the deck monkey and as middle-aged and out of shape as I am, I can still wrestle everything into submission. One of the things I love about sailing is the sense of community, that we're all looking out for each other, and it doesn't matter whether that help comes from a man or a woman if it means your bow is saved from leaving a dent in the dock.

Peace & Equality.
Old 05-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
But you're also not telling her that she doesn't have to, because you will. .....
You really seem to want to believe your own story, but its simply one sided. Yes, I had told her she didn't have to. She still wants to.

You're the one having a hard time believing there actually could be equality. Which is a huge reason why there isn't.
jwing likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcblues57 View Post
.....One of the things I love about sailing is the sense of community, that we're all looking out for each other, and it doesn't matter whether that help comes from a man or a woman......
This has been exactly my experience and a significant reason we love sailing.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 05-10-2013

Quote:
You really seem to want to believe your own story, but its simply one sided. .
I'm not telling the story- I'm simply listening to you. I work with the information given, and with the statements you have made.

Old 05-10-2013

Quote:
You're the one having a hard time believing there actually could be equality. Which is a huge reason why there isn't.
I'm the problem?

Wow, even my ego can't take credit for this one.
But thanks for admitting that there is no equality, Mr. "[Life] just isn't always fair"

Waitaminnit, weren't you the guy arguing a page or so or three back that there is equality? Something about everyone who works for you getting paid the same wage, whether male or female, for the same work?

Last edited by bljones; 05-10-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2013

Quote:
In fact, it was me. My father made me do it. Since she's been around, we've always had a windlass.
Always a power windlass?

Old 05-10-2013

Is Sailing Sexist?

blj, are you trying to score a date (i already have one) or just win some self defined debate?

Have the final word. You're boring me and this is destined for OT as its going.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 05-10-2013

Minnewaska, relax. When you use personal examples and personal anecdotes you open yourself up to scrutiny. If you and/or your positions can't stand scrutiny, or you don't have the tools or skills to defend them successfully, don't slam the guy on the other side of the debate.

After all, not all of us can always win- life isn't always fair, right?

Thanks for the last word.