Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree194Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

I'm coming late to the party...

As my kids were growing up. I often looked at the whole sports thing and how many men (boys) participate in a given sport vs. how many women (girls). Men usually outnumber the women. When I looked at which gender created the sport, most have been created by men. So it made perfect sense more men would participate.

When I was growing up there were no sport teams for girls. That alone will take a lot of girls/women out of the ranks of participation. Today that's no longer true so more girls are getting involved in sports at an early age. And they often stay involved.

Even though doors have been opening up for girls in the sports arena, there still exists gender roles that parents, family, friends, teachers (consciously or sub-consciously) steer the children towards, depending on what's between their legs at birth. And if parents are honest, many will admit they have dreams of their kids growing up to fulfill society's image of the perfect man and the perfect woman. We humans do like conformity. It makes things easier for us, but not always for the child.

I doubt women will ever equal the numbers in sports as men. But if we just stopped putting people in a box based on what we see, there will be less obstacles for those who want to participate in activities society doesn't deem "normal" for them.

But what is "normal" anyway? That's easy. Since no two people are exactly alike, normal is unique.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMor For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (06-26-2013)
Old 07-29-2013

aprilsails is on a distinguished road

I, too, am late to the party but as a sailor in the younger generation I want to jump in.

I think you will see more and more women owning their own boat. I have sailed since I was 14 and owned my own dinghy between ages 16 and 26. (29 now and am preparing to by my first cruising boat). In the past year, my hubby has decided to learn how to sail properly so that we can charter together, however, I will likely be the Captain for a long time.

I was lucky to have spent 2 years crewing on a Tall Ship with a female captain and all senior female crew (XO and 2 WO). In 2003 the only male senior officer was the cook (If you want to see mixed gender roles).
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 07-29-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road

Julie Male comment My heroes Jean-claud Killey and Picabo Street Giant slolum and downhill. Killy aint pretty.
Old 07-29-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I think sailing by its very nature looks like a dictatorship. The "captain" is barking orders and yelling " tacking!" and so forth. When docking under less than ideal circumstances there can be yelling and stress. Things today are so power driven and automated that people in general just aren't used to hearing that and seeing it. Its what a group of people working together looks like.

Its a well known fact that we invent a narrative to fit what we see, a narrative based on our prejudices. The bumbling dictatorial male dufus has been drummed into all of our heads in every commercial since 1960. It just isn't helping anyone. I can totally see how in such a toxic environment women much prefer getting training from female instructors. Takes the narrative away.

There will always be people of both sexes who exploit the "battle of the sexes" narrative or some other narrative. But really enlightened people ought to know that the person who is managing the boat, male or female , black or white, whatever ...is yelling to be heard and not to dominate and it really doesn't matter to the boat what is between their legs. Its what is in their brain and their heart, no? Its making the boat sail well and get home safe.

In that sense, I would have to say that people are sexist, but sailing can't be.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 07-29-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Sal, what you said about commercials is why I mute them when watching TV. Then I usually get up and do something until the show comes back on.

But if you pay attention to gender roles in commercials, it's very clear cut. Women cleaning the house, men in the garage or yard. The women are always smiling, using those amazing cleaning products. Kinda reminds me of The Stepford Wives.

Title IX gets a lot of credit for female participation in sports but when you look at the statistics, you'll see it started before Title IX was actually enforced, during the Clinton years. It started during the Women's Liberation years when women had to get out of that house with those amazing cleaning products and live life.

There's a park adjacent to our property with a baseball field. Come spring we see kid's baseball teams fill the field. It's usually the girls. When they grow up they won't think twice about getting out there with their kids, be they boys or girls, and showing them how to play baseball. The use of those amazing cleaning products will, hopefully by then, no longer have gender attached to them.
Old 08-03-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Good point about the cleaning products Julie. You are right.

Ahh, but life is messier than that. Mine is anyway. No woman ever appeared to clean up my life or house...

I am sure you are right about the sports too, although I can't relate to it. I was poor, --- my Dad was laid off when the Ford plant closed here so I always working the night shift in high school to support my parents.....so I never did any organized sports. I used to imagine how great it would be to do sports...But I see the kids today, all they do is organized sports, girls as well as boys..

BTW ..I'm doing pretty well now though, and although I did coach little league for 7 years when our kids were growing up , my wife and I spent way more time with them on the water or hiking in the mountains than on any sports fields. We kind of feel sorry for our friends running running to every sports game and semi final this and that.. all over the country. We pass them on our way to the boat.

And that I have never regretted.
bljones likes this.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 08-03-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2013

kjango is on a distinguished road

I certainly hope so & I'm not kidding .....especially when I hear some gal bemoan the fact that most boat owners are men....duh Having said that.....when I see some gal Like Samantha Davies competing at the highest level of sailing I like oh yeah.....you rock . My question is ....Is mindless bitching sexist ????
Old 08-03-2013
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road

Probably.

But it's nothing you should worry your pretty little head over, Honey!!

bljones likes this.
Old 08-05-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Did Woulda just call kjango "honey"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-07-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

*Sailing* is not sexist, not being a person and all, but some people can be. WomanShip always struck me as insulting on one level. I used to make a living teaching people to sail and fly. I taught women and girls with no issues. The actual Womenship instructors/skippers were all great, it was just the concept that being male meant I could not do well teaching women bugged me. Kind of like "ManShip" where no women need apply would go over

Anyway, one day Womenship needs a SSB installed THAT DAY for an offshore trip leaving the next day and my shop has the only one in Annapolis. The women they sent over to arrange the install was gritting her teeth the whole time. It was VERY obvious she was spitting mad at having to rely on men to do something she could not do. When we got to the boat the situation was 180 degrees changed. The female skipper was afraid we wouldn't finish the job on time and ran up to the bar to get us snacks and drinks while we worked They left on time