Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

In my experience if the wife sees the husand getting all flustered and yelling the wife assumes he has no clue what the f@@@ he is doing and gets nervous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

All this talk about yelling and screaming. I thought sailing was supposed to be fun, relaxing and enjoyable.
Old 09-05-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

It is for me.Not for everyone. We have all seen the clueless guy screaming at the bewildered wife and kids while he bangs off of 5 different boats and 7 pilings trying to get into a slip.

My wife likes to nap underway so I have perfected the art of low volume boat operations If I am really good I am tied up or anchored and everyone is still asleep. We sometimes like 0400 departures so we can be in our next port by noon if the weather is going to be roasting hot.

Old 09-05-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

I think a HUGE part of this is generational and location. My wife and I learned together, separate classes because that is good "best practice" in education. Never take a class with your SO, no mater what the relationship. It allows for different experiences and you can then come back and share and learn even more. We have both insisted on trading all tasks so that we are both comfortable with them all. We can't even imagine "pink and blue" jobs around the boat (or house). It would be insulting (to most men and women) to suggest there is such a thing in our generation and location.

Living in rougher country, such as remote Alaska, usually flattens the differences between people. When it is -50F and your heater just went out, you don't really care who comes to your assistance. When I go south to larger cities, the gender roll differences REALLY stand out. This may have to do with the unrelenting barrage of media in the bigger markets.

On the "takeover for the gal" front, my wife sees this still on occasion and always points it out to me when it happens. It ALWAYS happens with the older, usually retired, male who is unable to even comprehend that a girl would want to do boy things. When working with guys our age, this never seems to come up. But then my wife is 6' tall, ex raft guide, and is physically in better shape than most men. I wouldn't try and takeover a task from her either.

On the women only classes, don't assume that all women find that to be the best route. My wife cannot understand why someone would want to learn in a segregated environment and just the add in Sailing Mag bothers her. So to say that women learn better from women as a truism. Not all women agree. Nor do all men want male instructors. Again, not always true. We tend to want the most qualified instructor that is able to teach to our learning styles, vs the one with matching genitalia.

Sorry for the long response but I just had to say that I am so glad that most of what I hear in this thread is really out of date. In other sports these attitudes died a while back on both sides of the argument. Sailing is just a bit stuck in time it seems to me compared to other activities.

Having said that; my daughter was told yesterday in kindergarden that Batman was for boys and why did she have a Batman lunchbox (her pick not ours). So these attitudes of pink and blue are still out there. We just have to do our best to make sure she understands that it is her choice to ignore those that will limit her future. Sometimes I am scared that we "miss" the old ways as a society and are trying to push people back into the rolls that were blurred in the 70-90s. I hope not.
wingNwing and bljones like this.
Old 09-05-2013
Dunning Krueger Research

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Living in rougher country, such as remote Alaska, usually flattens the differences between people. When it is -50F and your heater just went out, you don't really care who comes to your assistance......my wife is 6' tall, ex raft guide, and is physically in better shape than most men. I wouldn't try and takeover a task from her either. -AlaskaMC

Sorry, but that just doesn't help the rest of us who aren't married to Deep Woods Barbie.
AlaskaMC likes this.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 09-05-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2013
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Living in rougher country, such as remote Alaska, usually flattens the differences between people. When it is -50F and your heater just went out, you don't really care who comes to your assistance......my wife is 6' tall, ex raft guide, and is physically in better shape than most men. I wouldn't try and takeover a task from her either. -AlaskaMC

Sorry, but that just doesn't help the rest of us who aren't married to Deep Woods Barbie.
I am a very lucky man, I won't argue with that

But Deep Woods Barbie, while very funny, isn't that kinda sexist too? This stuff is just confusing. I think I am going to go sailing, see if my wife will run the tiller while I grind. Does that make me less manly?
Old 09-05-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post

On the women only classes, don't assume that all women find that to be the best route. My wife cannot understand why someone would want to learn in a segregated environment and just the add in Sailing Mag bothers her. So to say that women learn better from women as a truism. Not all women agree. Nor do all men want male instructors. Again, not always true. We tend to want the most qualified instructor that is able to teach to our learning styles, vs the one with matching genitalia.
No one said that ALL women want to learn in women-only classes. I would guess, however, that those who do are the ones who sign up for them. Speaking for myself, I was just presenting an argument for their existence. It wasn't something I even considered when I took instruction in: white water kayaking, scuba (to rescue diver), sailing, and any of the other interests I had, I just did it. But, as an instructor, I just want people to learn. However that happens is a good thing. If being in a single-gender class enables them to learn the rules of the road, who cares and what right does anyone else have to judge them for it?

Quote:
Having said that; my daughter was told yesterday in kindergarden that Batman was for boys and why did she have a Batman lunchbox (her pick not ours). ...
I'm 46. I still have the Yellow Submarine lunchbox I carried in elementary school. Someone told me it's worth about $300 now. And I couldn't stand Barbie. Mom used to buy them for me and I'd chuck them out the car window onto the train tracks. Now, my lime green Tonka truck that matched my lime green Easy Bake Oven, loved 'em.
JulieMor likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-05-2013
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
No one said that ALL women want to learn in women-only classes. I would guess, however, that those who do are the ones who sign up for them. Speaking for myself, I was just presenting an argument for their existence. It wasn't something I even considered when I took instruction in: white water kayaking, scuba (to rescue diver), sailing, and any of the other interests I had, I just did it. But, as an instructor, I just want people to learn. However that happens is a good thing. If being in a single-gender class enables them to learn the rules of the road, who cares and what right does anyone else have to judge them for it?

I'm 46. I still have the Yellow Submarine lunchbox I carried in elementary school. Someone told me it's worth about $300 now. And I couldn't stand Barbie. Mom used to buy them for me and I'd chuck them out the car window onto the train tracks. Now, my lime green Tonka truck that matched my lime green Easy Bake Oven, loved 'em.
I was just pointing out that there is more than one opinion on women only classes from the women themselves. Some of the commentary earlier in the thread was very harsh on this point. Not your comments by the way.

My girl is more of a mix of both, She likes to wear a princess dress, mudd boots and go fishing. That Yellow Sub lunchbox is a treasure!
Old 09-05-2013

mebiker is on a distinguished road

I hope to become a confident sailor! Glad to hear there are many women out there being strong! I just purchased a tartan 37 with my guy & hope we're equals out on the water! It's a beautiful world out there if we can just get along!
Old 09-05-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Having said that; my daughter was told yesterday in kindergarden that Batman was for boys and why did she have a Batman lunchbox (her pick not ours). So these attitudes of pink and blue are still out there. We just have to do our best to make sure she understands that it is her choice to ignore those that will limit her future. Sometimes I am scared that we "miss" the old ways as a society and are trying to push people back into the rolls that were blurred in the 70-90s. I hope not.

Well he did spend an inordinate amount of time hanging out with sweet wee Robin.

btw ... did you know that up until the Victorian era pink was for boys and blue for girls ? Strange tale but true. No wonder people get confused about their sexuality.

Interestingly enough while me and the Wombet have been known to exchange the odd cross word, and nothing cryptic about that at all, when we have attended classes together we have had zero problems, indeed we become a very effective team.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.