Not a Member? 

Like Tree233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
I had learned that boats were called "she" because they carry, protect and then deliver the crew (or cargo) like a mother does her child.

Since we sailors are generally a suspicious group, and that it's know the name you give your boat affects the "personality", I'm not sure Ralph would be a good name.
First, a male boat may run around trying to "hook up" with every female boat willing to give him the time of day.
Second, a boat name Ralph may just "shoot your eye out" (Christmas Story) and spend too much money on Ovaltine.
she, because they carry protect and deliver the crew.....hum..I like that .

But while "she" is doing all that Ralph is keeping her from harm by caring cleaning and keeping her off shoals, navigating bars etc. Poor Ralph does all the hard stuff but no credit. When she skillfully crosses a nasty bar onlookers amply praise her, when she cuts a picture perfect profile against the sea onlookers again give her praise. No one ever says, look there goes ralph, dosent he look grand!....poor poor Ralph

personally I like the she thing, I have no desire to sail in a "he", do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

“A ship is always referred to as a she because it costs so much to keep one in paint and powder.”
-- Chester W. Nimitz

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 10-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 View Post
ďA ship is always referred to as a she because it costs so much to keep one in paint and powder.Ē
-- Chester W. Nimitz
makes good sense
Old 10-13-2013
Dunning Krueger Research

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

While this thread has been meandering, my wife has gradually been turning into a pretty good sailor. This gives me a lot of hope. Didn't take an all female training program, or a marriage counselor. Just time, patience and a few perfect days. She just has/ had a bit more fear and less strength. But as she herself said - where I go, she goes. Not only is her fear less and less, but the work ethic and speed with which the work is done has improved at an amazing rate. What it really took was again endless patience, and letting her come to her own realizations about what needs to be done and how to do it.
DRFerron likes this.
Old 10-15-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

I find the context in which some men refer to their wives as "The Admiral" to be sexist. I'd never heard that term for a wife before reading it here on almost a daily basis. To me, it sounds like giving the wife an important title to make her feel good, but really saying she's not good for much at all.

My wife is the co-owner of our boat, and she's just as likely to be at the helm as me.

Old 10-15-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I find the context in which some men refer to their wives as "The Admiral" to be sexist. I'd never heard that term for a wife before reading it here on almost a daily basis. To me, it sounds like giving the wife an important title to make her feel good, but really saying she's not good for much at all.

My wife is the co-owner of our boat, and she's just as likely to be at the helm as me.
Ahhhh. That's a can of worms ye've cracked open. I totally agree. A few other women I know totally agree. On the other hand, there are more women who think there's nothing wrong with it and then the argument from the men is that "admiral" is a higher rank than "captain."

I think that's a summary of this particular circle that we've gone around in this forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-15-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I find the context in which some men refer to their wives as "The Admiral" to be sexist.
Yeah, that always strikes me as a bit off. That and the SWMBO thing. I understand the spirit in which it's used, but it just doesn't come off quite right for me.

That being said, when my wife saw our new (used) boat parked in the driveway she said "Well then I get a leather sectional sofa for the basement," and I said "Yes ma'am."
Old 10-15-2013

Quote:

I think it goes deeper than that. I had a german lady tell me before she died that American women as spoiled and don't know how good they have it. That was forty years ago and as time passed I realized that we American men do spoil our women. We always put them on a throne and give them the best we can so of course they would have to be the admiral because that is the highest position upon a vessel. Not sexest at all just a way of telling the lady friend that she is the best.
Old 10-15-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That might be the case for some folks, but for a lot of people, that's just the nature of the on-board relationship. The wife often decides where to go and the husband, being the more experienced sailor, is in charge of getting the boat there. Very much like an admiral-captain relationship in the Navy.
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 10-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
That might be the case for some folks, but for a lot of people, that's just the nature of the on-board relationship. The wife often decides where to go and the husband, being the more experienced sailor, is in charge of getting the boat there. Very much like an admiral-captain relationship in the Navy.
This one hit home. Almost exactly how it works here. Now, I don't refer to my wife as Admiral. Not because I consider it sexist, but because its corny. I also refuse to wear anything that has the word Captain on it either.
Sublime, Argyle38 and Sal Paradise like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.