Is Sailing Sexist? - Page 29 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree229Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #281  
Old 12-18-2013
captain jack's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: frederick, md
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 81
Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 2
captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post

As for motorcycling, of which I am also a member - its almost all guys. I bought my wife her own motorcycle years ago and she rode my bikes too. When she was young she was a halfway decent rider but as she got older she became, in her own words, too scared. Its okay.

Motorcycling is almost all guys. Most guys, myself included , love riding with momen. They give a great perspective. Difference is you don't hear many women complaining about the overwhelming number of guys. My guess is the women motorcyclists are a bit more adventurous and have learned to enjoy it.


Sal Paradise, Registered Architect
yeah. that's what i was pointing out. in America, at least, i wouldn't say more than one in ten motorcycle owners are women. however, every guy i know that rides thinks it's awesome when they see women riding their own bikes. and it's no question that women love to ride on motorcycles. however, most women don't seem to have any interest in riding their own bikes. why? i don't know but it is certainly not because motorcycle riding is sexist. i think there are just certain things that attract women ( or men, for that matter ) and certain things that don't. biker women are very outspoken yet you never hear discussions like this in the motorcycle community. so, it would seem, the women who ride don't seem to think the fact that many more men own bikes is sexist.

it's been suggested that it's sexist because, in a lot of cases, men and women take certain chores as belonging to one or the other. but i don't see that as an argument with merit, either. i work on the cars. my GF does most of the cooking. notice i said most and not all. of course, i am the one who knows how to work on cars. she is a better, all around, cook. is it sexist that she doesn't do half of the car work and i don't do more of the cooking? no. she doesn't know how to work on cars and, although she enjoys having me explain what i am doing to her, she has no interest in actually doing it. believe me. i have a lot on my plate. if she wanted to take the auto work off of my hands, i'd let her. it would be less work for me to worry about.

it's easy to see discrimination in everything you see, if you have that frame of mind. that doesn't mean it's there. it's easy to be paranoid, if you smoke pot, but that doesn't mean anyone is really out to get you or that there is a cop behind every noise you hear.
__________________
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow


1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #282  
Old 12-18-2013
Sal Paradise's Avatar
Captain Obvious
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 728
Thanks: 13
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

I think you are onto something there, jack. I can only add that its weird the way the guys literally fall all over the place goofy eyed and giddy when they see my wife take off her helmet and that blond hair fall out. OMG - a woman rider!!!

And riding with her in our group they are thrilled that she is with us. I mean, to me its almost embarassing attention but she seems like she either doesn't notice or she likes it. I really don't care. But its ridiculous. The guys are beside themselves with happiness that we have a woman rider in the group. Still, she isn't really interested.

I think that is something that women don't understand about men - how much guys enjoy sharing activities like sailing or riding with a woman.
captain jack likes this.
__________________
Sal Paradise

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 12-18-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #283  
Old 07-30-2014
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Rural Nevada
Posts: 11
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
PaulKroll is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Their are problems with sexism everywhere. I used to be involved with feminist groups and "identify as feminist" as they say. Then I realized there was a much larger agenda at work that I wasn't on board with at all. I'm egalitarian about it, I think the system we have is something that evolved not something a bunch of men or people in general sat down and created. [text removed] I could go on but suffice it to say, yes, there's a problem, and no feminism is no solution. There has to be a better way, a gender neutral and to borrow one of the left wing extremists own buzz words a more "inclusive" way to get rid of this dehumanizing situation. Then, we can live like people not live stock segregated by our sex into roles .

Last edited by DRFerron; 07-30-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Disparaging and not related to the original topic.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #284  
Old 07-30-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 79
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1
WGEwald is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

The word sexist has become as meaningless as the word racist...

Fodder for easily offended people. Who needs them?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #285  
Old 07-30-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Far upstate NY!!
Posts: 97
Thanks: 139
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1
Nancyleeny is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGEwald View Post
The word sexist has become as meaningless as the word racist...

Fodder for easily offended people. Who needs them?
Really? I know lots of racists and sexists, sadly. What should we call people who use the "n" word, and call women "bitches"? And does the fact that I find those words and attitudes wrong mean I am easily offended?? I am clutching my pearls and getting the vapors as I type!!
Nancy
Multihullgirl likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #286  
Old 07-30-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 79
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1
WGEwald is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyleeny View Post
Really? I know lots of racists and sexists, sadly. What should we call people who use the "n" word, and call women "bitches"? And does the fact that I find those words and attitudes wrong mean I am easily offended?? I am clutching my pearls and getting the vapors as I type!!
Nancy
That's called a strawman argument, Nancy. And just to acknowledge equality, the strawman in the UK is called an "Aunt Sally."
captain jack likes this.

Last edited by WGEwald; 07-30-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #287  
Old 07-30-2014
captain jack's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: frederick, md
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 81
Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 2
captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyleeny View Post
Really? I know lots of racists and sexists, sadly. What should we call people who use the "n" word, and call women "bitches"? And does the fact that I find those words and attitudes wrong mean I am easily offended?? I am clutching my pearls and getting the vapors as I type!!
Nancy
interestingly, 3/4 of the peope who regularly use " the N word" ( the N word: because, like a bunch of little kids asking our parents about cuss words, we are not mature enough to say the word in a discussion about it's use) are black. i know this for sure because my GF is black and i have a lot of black friends and co workers. also interestingly, loads of feminist types seem to find being called a bitch to be a compliment. why, i don't know but, it's true.

and, if words upset you that much then, yes, you are too sensitive. if words can get you that upset and stressed, i can only imagine what having to deal with real problems, emergencies, and bad situations would do to you.

whatever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me"? guess we've become too delicate and fragile for that, now. good thing the people of today don't have to face the world our ancestors had to face. if we did, the human race would be doomed. let's face it, if a word can throw a person in a tissy, having to deal with real hardship or danger would certainly be too much for them.
__________________
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow


1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #288  
Old 07-30-2014
captain jack's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: frederick, md
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 81
Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 2
captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKroll View Post
There has to be a better way, a gender neutral and to borrow one of the left wing extremists own buzz words a more "inclusive" way to get rid of this dehumanizing situation. Then, we can live like people not live stock, segregated by our sex into roles .
i liked a good bit of your post but i have to raise a point about this. like live stock, we are animals. except for asexual animals, all animals are, by nature, separated by gender. each gender has it's own qualities that it is born with that, when combined with the other gender, allows the species to survive and propogate.

as with most communal mammals, males are primarily designed for defense and to provide while child rearing is under way. females are primarily designed to nurture and teach the young. notice that men have higher aggression, greater body strength (naturally built with heavier frames and a greater abiity to build muscle mass) while women have mammary glands and hips designed to carry children...not to mention wombs to give birth to them. did you know that, although men are more resistant to pain, as a rule, women are born with a far greater tolerance for abdominal pain? women can deal with abdominal pain that woud have a man in a fetal position, on the ground. it's an evolutionary quality they are born with to fufill the role that nature saw fit to give them. thankfuly so. if men had to give birth, i seriously doubt we'd see too many future generations.

each gender has it's own physical, mental, and emotional qualities that are specific to that gender and are qualities that have develped, through evolution to allow for the survival of the species. this is not to say that, in most areas, men and women can not perform the same tasks; only that we are separated and differentiated by gender naturally.

this is not an unnatural state we impose on livestock or on ourselves. it is a natural state of animal life on this planet... each species after it's own nature.
__________________
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow


1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 07-30-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #289  
Old 07-30-2014
captain jack's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: frederick, md
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 81
Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 2
captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

that's one of the things about the feminist movement that has always bothered me. throughout the 70s and 80s, they have put down motherhood (calling housewives leeches and prostitues and only giving worth to "working women" as if mothers don't do any work) and anything actually feminine. they push the idea that women can only have worth if they do what men do. so, what they are really saying is that, by nature, women have no worth. that they have to shun their natural quaities and roles and become as men to have any worth. that's disturbing. not only is it important for women to give birth but, women have always shaped and maintained the fabric of human society by teaching children the proper way to be as a member of that society, during the most important learning years of life. what more important function could anyone possibly have? if the children are the future, then the people (mothers) who shape and guide those children must be the most important part of society.

i refer everyone to the Norse story of Agnar and Geirrod and how they were raised by Odin and his wife, Frigga. it really puts this in perspective.
__________________
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow


1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #290  
Old 07-30-2014
DRFerron's Avatar
A mod and her dragon
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,914
Thanks: 57
Thanked 133 Times in 123 Posts
Rep Power: 10
DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

We are really getting far from the original intent of this thread.
WGEwald likes this.
__________________
Donna


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2006 US National Sailing Team Named - US SAILING News @ ISAF - Sailing.org NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-20-2006 07:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.