Not a Member? 

Like Tree229Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
You don't have to go beyond the book title in the original question. "first mate"=woman. Dated, stereotypical.
i think this demonstrates a point about this thread. i think that everyone is totaly focused on the title but, i seriously have my doubts that very many actually read the review of the book linked to in the original post.

the writer of the review also made this big over blown issue about the title. but, their review of the actual book tells a different story as can be seen in this quote from the review:

"That breezy writing style is subversive- without directly spelling it out, First Mate Smith makes it clear who really runs a boat... which maybe why a First Mate is often more correctly known as The Admiral

If you've just bought a boat or are considering a boat purchase, this is a good place for new boaters of both sexes to start.

Just get past the cover."

i highlighted one section of the review because it seems to totally negate any sexism some people might read in the title. in fact, i might go a bit farther and say that that statement shows that THE review was actually a little sexist...against men.

on an ironic point, the review, which was a big rant about sexism, pointed out calling the woman 'the admiral' as a positive thing when some posters, here, tried to say it was a sexist name that was really poking fun at women. i guess the folks out looking to find isms everywhere forgot to compair notes about what constitutes an ism.

it sould also be noted that a woman, not a man, is the author of the book. also, it's subtitle indicates it as a book intended for, or at least aimed at, women.

so many posters have aimed their guns at how sexist male sailors are but, this isn't a book written by a man. in fact, i can't think of one sailing book that is written by a man (that i have ever seen) that is sexist in title or content, in any way...and i have a lot of old sailing books. when i first taught myself to sail (through reading books...no internet...and putting what i read into practice), i bought used books because of cost and a lot of them were written in the 60s and 70s. i was given one new book as a gift.

so, even back then, male sailors were not writing sexist sailing books. it took a woman to write the book (with a supposedly sexist title) that started this entire thread off.

it should be noted, if you read the review you will discover that it's author has a huge case of chip on shoulder. the first half of the review is a rant at how sexist sailing is; all of boating actually. the title really set the author of the review off... only to end up giving it a very good and positive review because, not only was there nothing sexist about the book but, it was a good book.

the trouble with walking around with a chip on your shoulder is that you take offense at just about everything even if there is nothing offensive intended or implied.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't know any woman that don't like pizza. I know many that adore shoes beyond my comprehension. I don't insist on either.

What does this have to do with women sailors?

I would bet they find the above scenario, at least, annoying?
I haven't seen anyone in this thread with a chip on their shoulder.

The good news is, for sexism in general, for me it shows the downturn is there in a generational sense.

Like equal pay for equal work, sexism is still a part of society(documented), but, gender disparity is on it's way out.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
i think this demonstrates a point about this thread. i think that everyone is totaly focused on the title but, i seriously have my doubts that very many actually read the review of the book linked to in the original post.

the writer of the review also made this big over blown issue about the title. but, their review of the actual book tells a different story as can be seen in this quote from the review:

"That breezy writing style is subversive- without directly spelling it out, First Mate Smith makes it clear who really runs a boat... which maybe why a First Mate is often more correctly known as The Admiral

If you've just bought a boat or are considering a boat purchase, this is a good place for new boaters of both sexes to start.

Just get past the cover."

i highlighted one section of the review because it seems to totally negate any sexism some people might read in the title. in fact, i might go a bit farther and say that that statement shows that THE review was actually a little sexist...against men.

on an ironic point, the review, which was a big rant about sexism, pointed out calling the woman 'the admiral' as a positive thing when some posters, here, tried to say it was a sexist name that was really poking fun at women. i guess the folks out looking to find isms everywhere forgot to compair notes about what constitutes an ism.

it sould also be noted that a woman, not a man, is the author of the book. also, it's subtitle indicates it as a book intended for, or at least aimed at, women.

so many posters have aimed their guns at how sexist male sailors are but, this isn't a book written by a man. in fact, i can't think of one sailing book that is written by a man (that i have ever seen) that is sexist in title or content, in any way...and i have a lot of old sailing books. when i first taught myself to sail (through reading books...no internet...and putting what i read into practice), i bought used books because of cost and a lot of them were written in the 60s and 70s. i was given one new book as a gift.

so, even back then, male sailors were not writing sexist sailing books. it took a woman to write the book (with a supposedly sexist title) that started this entire thread off.

it should be noted, if you read the review you will discover that it's author has a huge case of chip on shoulder. the first half of the review is a rant at how sexist sailing is; all of boating actually. the title really set the author of the review off... only to end up giving it a very good and positive review because, not only was there nothing sexist about the book but, it was a good book.

the trouble with walking around with a chip on your shoulder is that you take offense at just about everything even if there is nothing offensive intended or implied.
Jack, no offense but I only have time to skim the long posts. I get the jist though, that sexism doesn't exist for you. I'm ok with that.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

WindchaserPY23 is on a distinguished road

Having just come back from a long weekend cruise on the high seas (Lake Superior), I can say only that while the boat was always a dream of mine, my wife fell in love with cruising and we work as a well oiled team. Only the lack of experience gives me the edge on sailing skills but she is a quick learner.
If more women got involved earlier in sailing then the ownership ratio could be more even. A quick mental survey of the people we've run into cruising and at the marina does have more men buying boats but most couples in the boomer class tend to have both referring to the vessel as "our" boat.

Capt'n Ed
S/V Talisman
bljones and captain jack like this.