Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Hardly- substitute my name, or minnewaska, or, hell, Larry Ellison, and the point remains the same. One of those names on the list is male, and one of those names hasn't circumnavigated and those names are the same.
I still don't get it. If I list three random male circumnavigators and one random female who hasn't, all that points out is the individual that hasn't. A personal slam. Nothing to do with gender equality or inequality.

Nevertheless, I will repeat that sailing is not sexist. Females can sail. Males can sail. The relative strength, skill and aptitude of the individual is what separates them, not gender. Individuals are, however, sexist.

NFL football is sexist and there is no equality in interest to participate.

I remain curious as to the proportion of males vs. females that have an interest to participate in sailing, if there were no other boundaries. Instinct doesn't count here.
northoceanbeach likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I still don't get it. If I list three random male circumnavigators and one random female who hasn't, all that points out is the individual that hasn't. A personal slam. Nothing to do with gender equality or inequality.

It really isn't that hard to get. Further, if the name doesn't matter, then it obviously not a personal slam.
However, repeatedly calling a post a "slam" is a slam. You're seeing intentions that just aren't there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

until early 1960s, you would be hard pressed to find a female sailor. we were still being taught that LADIES do NOT sail.
rodlmao. we still were banned from wood shop and metal shop, if you will remember a bit of time ago....

rodlmao.

we have come a loong way, baby.
Minnesail likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-04-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Had to rig my boat today. That mast is HEAVY. Earlier I had to clean the bilge and paint it. Disgusting. Then I was under the boat epoxing up cracks in the keel gelcoat. Messy and smelly. I will be doing more jobs that take muscle power, determination and focus. All to get the sailboat rigged and set in her slip. I had my wife and one other guy working with me today. The wife tries but she really isn't strong. I really needed someone with MUSCLE.

We have always been 50-50 paertners on our boats. But they are mine. I'm sure my wife can use the tiller just fine once we are sailing. I'm sure she can sheet the main. Yippeee. The boat will be mine because of the work I've done on her.

Is the fact that I have to lift a heavy mast or scrape and paint sexist? I think not. It just is. Men were the small engines of the world 100 years ago.

edit - I just saw my post follows zeehag. zeehag you are more of a sailor than I am. Respect. And there is no shop class anymore, for anyone.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 05-04-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Had to rig my boat today. That mast is HEAVY. Earlier I had to clean the bilge and paint it. Disgusting. Then I was under the boat epoxing up cracks in the keel gelcoat. Messy and smelly. I will be doing more jobs that take muscle power, determination and focus. All to get the sailboat rigged and set in her slip. I had my wife and one other guy working with me today. The wife tries but she really isn't strong. I really needed someone with MUSCLE.

Babies are heavy, laundry is heavy, cleaning up after a man is disgusting messy and smelly! Wife will make all the things nice, cook, clean YOUR mess, take your attitude with silence and continue to love you. (beats me why)

We have always been 50-50 paertners on our boats. But they are mine. I'm sure my wife can use the tiller just fine once we are sailing. I'm sure she can sheet the main. Yippeee. The boat will be mine because of the work I've done on her.
You never planned to share another lady (your boat) with your wife

Is the fact that I have to lift a heavy mast or scrape and paint sexist? I think not.
No.. it's your thinking that is from caveman 101

It just is. Men were the small engines of the world 100 years ago.
Ever see a lions pride? don't ever mess with the ladies. (Lioness's)
Jus

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 05-04-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-05-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Denise,

you seem to be arguing for sexism. Women nurture is what you are saying.

For my own post, I was was just ranting because my own work was all effed up. Nothing much to do with sexism or what my wife or anyone did..... my boat is a mess, still on the hard..rigging laying all over the place...that kind of thing. I just switched to a much cheaper yard.. its actually the back of a waterfront bar, no power,no water , no crane, no room... you have to work on the road. But half the price and a mile from my house. And a tiki bar 50 feet from my slip. ;-) But right now not only is my boat messed up, its on the side of the road. So, I was just ranting. I have no idea who is sexist and why. But this too shall pass. I had a snickers bar and now I'm back to my old self.

And I do my own laundry. With that, I am done with this thread. Fair winds everyone.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 05-05-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-06-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Totally a slam. You didn't pick a random name, ou picked mine. That makes it not random.

Why not take an actual random list of all the names of the people whi have circumnavigated and see how many are women.

You are only proving my earlier point that when women accomplish what a man has done many times they get more recognition. In this case for circumnavigating.

Isn't it slightly sexist to have a her sailnet but no his sailnet to talk about men specific issues?

I'm not sexist. Any person that walked down the dock and asked for my help I would give it.

Quote:
Which, one could argue, demonstrates the inherent sexism of the sport.

Since we're cherrypicking sailing achievements, I posit that when provided with the same opportunities as their males peers, the women can, and do shine.
For example:
Tania Aebi
Jessica Watson
Laura Decker
Northoceanbeach

Which one hasn't sailed around the world?
Old 05-06-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Sexist? Siiiiggggghhhh.

Sam Davies.

I don't care what's between that sailor's legs. She is truly that.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-06-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... I posit that when provided with the same opportunities as their males peers, the women can, and do shine...
Exactly...and if we would only install certain people in a the air-conditioned corner office in control of certain things, they would perform equally admirably.

Unfortunately for those folks who are waiting for someone to provide them with the "same opportunities", the world is a competitive place and there are those of us who will pursue and take those opportunities ("the hunters") without waiting for someone to hand them to us ("the gatherers").

If you think the world owes you something, you are already lost. Life ain't fair. Get over it.
Old 05-06-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Totally a slam. You didn't pick a random name, ou picked mine. That makes it not random.

Why not take an actual random list of all the names of the people whi have circumnavigated and see how many are women.

You are only proving my earlier point that when women accomplish what a man has done many times they get more recognition. In this case for circumnavigating.

Isn't it slightly sexist to have a her sailnet but no his sailnet to talk about men specific issues?

I'm not sexist. Any person that walked down the dock and asked for my help I would give it.
I picked YOUR name, because I was replying to YOUR post.
That doesn't make it a slam.
Sal Paradise likes this.