Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > herSailNet
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Well said, JennyWren and welcome to SailNet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2013
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Almost without exception, whenever I see a couple on a boat the guy is at the helm and the Mrs is on the bow, jumping to the dock tying lines etc, even deploying or trying to break the anchor out.
Old the old boat (OB in well and too far forward for easy reach from helm), we anchored with me on the bow, my then-5-year-old son on the throttle, and my then-7-year-old daughter at helm. Worked good.

I would want whoever's got the most experience on the bow calling the shots.
deniseO30, bljones and zeehag like this.
Old 05-07-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Sexism is self-perpetuating.

I read the example above of how one felt dismissed because a man was asked the same question that a women just answered. It could have been dismissive. However, the first thought that went through my mind is buddies that will continually ask me the same question, they would then ask the dog, a stranger or just talk to the piling. They often don't accept anyone's answer or just want to talk about the topic.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. If you want to see sexism, it will remain.
northoceanbeach likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-07-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If you want to see sexism, it will remain.
and dismissing it won't make it go away.
inshallamiami likes this.

Old 05-07-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Ya know, I'm not so sure that sailing is sexist, where else can a women step foot aboard and immediately become ***ADMIRAL***

Wait, you may be right!!, it is sexist!! Well just kiss my a$$ from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard,dead! Niedermeyer... oops, sorry, got caught up in the moment
zeehag likes this.
Old 05-07-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Isn’t “Whenever I've had new sailing friends (couples) on the boat, the Women are the better helmsmen(person). seems the gals have a better touch on the wheel, something about finesse I guess. The guys want to muscle it and drive all over creation. I'll take a gal at the wheel any day.” a little sexist statement in its own right?

Mrs. B and I jointly own all the boats we’ve bought since our nuptials. We both appear on all the paperwork. The club membership is in my name (why pay double the dues?). Mrs. B is very familiar with all the boat systems (sometimes too familiar!) She is not a string puller and helms for personal enjoyment. Yes, she hands the helm to me during sea and anchor details and when the wind pipes up, and during nighttime… But she does this for enjoyment and not to prove anything (she already has about 1,000 open ocean miles on her resume). I need you female sailnetters to write her a stern letter and make her do all the things she personally doesn’t like to do for the sake of saving me from appearing sexist.
Old 05-09-2013

JennyWren is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome, DRFerron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Sexism is self-perpetuating.

I read the example above of how one felt dismissed because a man was asked the same question that a women just answered. It could have been dismissive. However, the first thought that went through my mind is buddies that will continually ask me the same question, they would then ask the dog, a stranger or just talk to the piling. They often don't accept anyone's answer or just want to talk about the topic.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. If you want to see sexism, it will remain.
Quite so, but it would never have occurred to me personally to go looking for sexism, in fact the opposite. I work in a traditionally-male-dominated field, at times in the past with particularly male-oriented applications and subject matter, and have never personally encountered sexism from colleagues, so I wasn't on the lookout for it in the comparatively benign field of boat ownership.

It was just noticeable - to both of us - how often there was a different reaction to the same factual response (year of boat launch, boat builder, boat designer, stuff like that) when delivered by a female and a male.

Though hardly an issue that makes any difference to my ability to get on with life, it was a bit of a surprise.

I currently have a work colleague who *would* ask you, me, him, the dog, the piling, any passing seagull and the probably boat itself, and would not absorb a thing any of us said on an equal-opportunity basis.
Old 05-09-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Here's another example along the lines of the winches being geared for an average man's strength and are thus a little heavy for an average woman.

Yesterday I got a Mustang MD3184 inflatable PDF with harness (happy birthday to me!). According to the manual "The harness is designed to be worn by persons at least 5 feet 5 inches tall."

I'm guessing 90% of men are over 5' 5", but maybe 50% of women. My wife is only 5' 0", so she'd have to wear a separate PFD and harness if she were going to clip in. Not that this is horrible, but it's just one more little thing that women have to put up with that men never think about. As they say, privilege is invisible to those who have it.
Old 05-09-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
As they say, privilege is invisible to those who have it.
Very good observation!

My boat is for sale.

Old 05-09-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I put it to the ladies of Sailnet- is this lifestyle of ours as sexist as I think?
Absolutely. In a world where my wife or daughter will make on average, 75 cents to the dollar I'll make, doing the same task, how could the world of sailing possibly escape?

But those are salary averages. Fortunately, each person is different in regards to sexism, and can help to make the world in general(and sailing as well), less sexist.

Due simply to the archaic sexist title, no one ought to buy that book.
deniseO30, bljones and Minnesail like this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.