SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   herSailNet (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/)
-   -   Is Sailing Sexist? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/98579-sailing-sexist.html)

bljones 04-17-2013 12:07 AM

Is Sailing Sexist?

I just reviewed a book with a title that made me think- Joy Smith's "The Perfect First Mate- A Woman's Guide to Recreational Boating"

Dock Six Chronicles: Book Reviewsday Tuesday: Bad Title, Better Book

I thought the book had some great information, but the title kind of stuck in my craw: Why not title it "The Perfect Boat Owner"? I put it to the ladies of Sailnet- is this lifestyle of ours as sexist as I think?

jimgo 04-17-2013 09:22 AM

Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

I guess it depends on what Ms. Smith was suggesting; if she was calling her husband/significant other the "Perfect First Mate" then maybe that title isn't as sexist as it sounds.

deniseO30 04-17-2013 09:32 AM

It's a pretty awful title. Don't think I'd read it based on that alone. Thank God the Stepford Wives aren't into sailing! lmao http://stepfordwives.org/images/2010...ves_banner.jpg

Oh.. and yes.. the sport is very sexist. Look around next time you enter a marina. Look on the Big money racing boats. Sure, a few women have excelled but it's still a boys club. Some of you may remember my thread that Women are almost never called captain. It was a fun and enlightening discussionhttp://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersai...d-captain.html...

Melrna 04-17-2013 09:36 AM

I would have to say "yes". For a majority of boat owners out there it is. As discussed to ad-nausea on most boats there are pink and blue duties. Than there are boats like mine where I am the Captain. There are strong women out there, I believe we are just a small minority.
To qualify this we need to look at the boating community as whole. There are day sailors, serious sailors ( racers and boaters who use there boats a lot), liveaboards, coastal cruisers and world voyagers to name a few. The last 3 is where I see most of the strong women who can do both duties; pink/blue.
It is also can be broken down into generation classes as well. Baby boomers and earlier tend to hold more traditional roles of gender while young generation in particular the X,Y,Z (DINKS, Dual income no kids) gang women tend to cross gender roles more readily.
There can be a whole book or three on gender class roles and the changes over the last 100 years.
In sports Title X ruling for equal access and money in school sports help us women getting into sports where they boys club has keep us out for centuries. Since sailing is a sport, we have seen more and more women compete in world sailing events. The next VOR will have an all women's team for example. In the coming decades I believe we will see more women on equal footing with the men in this great sport. Than this debate might be dead.

fryewe 04-17-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 1017475)
I put it to the ladies of Sailnet- is this lifestyle of ours as sexist as I think?

bl: Pretty sexist of you to think that only the ladies can have an opinion on whether something is sexist or not. What's up with that? :rolleyes:

BubbleheadMd 04-17-2013 01:07 PM

*Sigh*

jameswilson29 04-17-2013 01:15 PM

Men and women have genetically-determined differences (pretty obvious) based on evolutionary roles, even in the way their brains work.

On average, men have greater natural mechanical and spatial relations ability than women do. In the prehistoric hunter-gatherer phase of evolution, men were programmed to be the hunters and women were programmed to be the gatherers. Hunting requires different skills from gathering, and vice versa.

Although either of the sexes are free to choose their educational direction and occupations in the free industrialized world, there remains a much greater proportion of men in engineering, math, architecture, the physical sciences, mechanics, construction, and computer science.

Many believe that natural abilities create needs to express those abilities.

Very few occupations today satisfy those needs resulting from our evolutionary abilities; most people in the workforce no longer use their hands to create things.

Consequently, men gravitate toward activities, hobbies and sports involving construction, the mechanics of how things work, and moving through three dimensional space, such as sailing. Sailing satisfies basic needs and challenges basic abilities that proportionately more men than women possess. Therefore more men are interested in and involved in sailing.

The same is true for automobile racing and a number of other pastimes.

Sorry, that is the way the world is. You are only surprised by this if you choose to believe the nonsense that everyone is the same at birth and its only environment and conditioning that determine who we become.

Tim R. 04-17-2013 01:29 PM

I would not consider sailing sexist as I do not feel women are purposely excluded from sailing.

Take two people. One man and one woman. Both have the exact same desire to sail. I feel both have the exact same opportunity to sail. There are no obvious exclusions for women.

Also consider the fact that men and women compete in regattas on equal terms. How many sports do that?

Minnesail 04-17-2013 02:00 PM

I don't think sailing is sexist, but it sure sounds like that book is! When was it written, 1955?

Siamese 04-17-2013 02:03 PM

Sailing isn't sexist, but don't pretend that the sexes aren't different.

The great majority of sailboats in a given marina are owned by men, or if they're owned by a couple (hetero), then the man is the one who decided to get the boat.

If the man gets hit by a bus, the boat will be sold. Most likely to another man.

Women aren't excluded from sailing, but the female sailboat owner is still a rarity.