SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Hunter (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hunter/)
-   -   Help unfurling an in mast furling mainsail on a 2008 Hunter 31 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hunter/102463-help-unfurling-mast-furling-mainsail-2008-hunter-31-a.html)

Jeff_sf1 08-12-2013 01:23 PM

Help unfurling an in mast furling mainsail on a 2008 Hunter 31

Hello Everyone,

I am new to sailing and recently had a terrible time on the water trying to unfurling an in mast furling mainsail on a 2008 Hunter 31 which jammed and I was not able to sail at all that day.

Could someone explain their technique for unfurling and furling the main? or let me know if I am doing something incorrect. The following is the procedure I thought was correct:

1) motor into the wind

2) leave the main sheet stopper closed, leave the main halyard stopper closed, leave the boom vang closed, leave the jib halyard closed.

3) open the outhaul and put one wrap around the winch, next open the furling in and out.

4) keep tension on the furling out line and pull the out haul until the sail is out

5) close the furling in and out, close the outhaul and then open the mainsheet stopper and sail to a close haul in order to unfurl the jib.

Any help, tips or explanation of the procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Vasco 08-12-2013 01:43 PM

Re: Help unfurling an in mast furling mainsail on a 2008 Hunter 31

Unfurling

Free mainsheet, boom vang, furling line.
Grind on outhaul while slowly easing the furling line

Furling

Free mainsheet, boom vang, outhaul. Keep tight hold on outhaul.
Grind on furling line while keeping good tension on outhaul.

Unfurling and furling best done head to wind, but as you get more experienced can be done in most points of sail if conditions are not too bad. Secret is in the furling. If furled improperly the sail will jam when you next deploy it.

Jeff_sf1 08-12-2013 02:05 PM

Thank you Rick! silly question but just to be sure, after the main is up I would close the boom vang stopper and furling lines in/out and of course leave the main sheet open and put it on the winch? also will I have to worry about the boom swinging when the main sheet is free and I am grinding the out haul?

Sorry lots of stupid questions: when if at anytime would I need to free the main halyard or jib halyard?

Jeff_sf1 08-12-2013 02:12 PM

I meant clutch not stopper, the boat has 4 starboard clutches: main halyard, out haul, boom vang and main sheet. on the port I have jib halyard and furling in and out...Correct ??

Vasco 08-12-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_sf1 (Post 1072853)
Thank you Rick! silly question but just to be sure, after the main is up I would close the boom vang stopper and furling lines in/out and of course leave the main sheet open and put it on the winch? also will I have to worry about the boom swinging when the main sheet is free and I am grinding the out haul?

Sorry lots of stupid questions: when if at anytime would I need to free the main halyard or jib halyard?

Yes, once the sail is up you can lock the the lines. The boom should not swing much if you are head to wind. The mainsheet should never be locked, put it on a self tailing winch.

With a furling main you should not have to free the main halyard. As for the jib halyard, I don't understand how the jib gets into this discussion. We're dealing with the main.

Jeff_sf1 08-12-2013 02:21 PM

got it! I was trying to clarify when I would ever free the main halyard, to remove the sail? I mention the jib halyard as only to clarify it purpose. Thanks for taking the time with me

Vasco 08-12-2013 04:05 PM

Yes to remove the sail or increase or decrease halyard tension.

Jeff_sf1 08-12-2013 05:15 PM

Got it, thanks for the help

tdw 08-12-2013 07:18 PM

Maybe this is not such a problem on a 30 odd footer but on our 42'er controlling the outhaul as you furl is the most difficult part of the operation.

Jeff_sf1 08-12-2013 09:53 PM

Thanks for the input Vasco, much appreciated.

tdw, controlling the outhaul seemed easy enough until it jammed, I had the outhaul cleat open,it should be open when either furling or unfurling, am I correct,? (wondering now after a review of the post)