Hunter Cutter 37 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-19-2006 Thread Starter

Hunter Cutter 37

I'm planning on looking at the Cherbini (sp?) designed 37 footer from the late 70s and early 80s. I saw that Surfesq had one - I would be interested in his views. Why the HC37? I like cutter rigs - years ago when I was but a lad at a small New England College on the Thames I sailed a Luders yawl that had a cutter rig. I'm at that stage where I'm wifeless and my kids will soon be off on their own. My skills are a tad rusty to say the least when it comes to sailing. About the Luders-time, I sailed a Morgan OI41 from Miami up to CT and had a grand time. My goal is to repeat the trip in 2009 from what I presume will be my homeport (New Orleans) over to FL and on up. I want to hit the ditch at Oregon Inlet and go up to the Bay from there. After that, offshore up to CT.

I (of course) have the goal of doing something a bit more blue water - but for now the HC37 looks like a fine coastal boat that is capable of taking some weather. I should be able to get into one and not blow all of my money. If the trip up to CT is to my liking and I'm up to it, then I should be able to shift to a heavier boat. Ideally I would like a steel boat with real subdivision and a bilge system - but that is a topic for another thread.

I've read 100% of the owner's comments on the Hunter Assoc. board and found that helpful - especially when it comes to ID'ing class problems. Besides the cutter rig - the HC37 gives 30 ft on the water (which gives a decent hull speed), it has a U-shaped galley, and a something more than a pilot berth (if I were 20 and more limber that would be OK) back aft.

So any thoughts?

Regards -
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-01-2006

Want one?

If you're looking for a Hunter 37-cutter in good condition ready to go, check the one out at http://www.buymyboat.net. You'll be glad you did.

Yachtmaster <yachtmaster@buymyboat.net>

Last edited by jflowers; 09-13-2006 at 01:55 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-30-2007

there are several for sale out there.. some are very good indeed.. some "restoring" sites and pictures as well....

--jr
post #4 of 4 Old 11-28-2007

Hi, hunter cutter are very comfortable boats, but they have a few weak points... Firts, make sure the roof isn't delaminated, when I bought mine (a 1981), the roof was close to 100% delaminated (core was bably rotted). Took a lot of time to repair. Then, the rudder is only supported by a nylon bearing at the top, which create a vibration problem, and cause mild cracking at the base of the thru hull... Thats about it...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.