Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Hunter
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Do I see a trend in boat change here????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2007

makingthyme is on a distinguished road
Mac 26 to Hunter 30

I owned a Mac 26S before I bought my Hunter 30. I thought it was going to be a big step but it really wasn't. The Hunter was much easier to sail than the Mac. If I knew that it was going to be like this I would have went to a 33' boat so I wouldn't have to make that next step.
My H30 is a great boat and is fun to sail. It's very stable and has lots of room in the cabin. Storage depends on how you use your boat if you spend weeks at a time on board, you will need more storage than if you sail long weekends. I have spent a week on my boat and had no problems with storage. If I had a family with 3 or 4 kids, I'd definately want a bigger boat.
Old 02-21-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Do I see a trend in boat change here????
G didn't you know that MacGregor is the sister company of Hunter ? ssoooo naturally, Mac owners will upgrade to Hunter, we get great discount ! ....hehehe just kidding
Old 04-06-2007
Lake Ontario Sailor

Skipperlee is on a distinguished road
Camaraderie gave a pretty good synopsis of his Hunter 33. I bought a new one in 2005. It is my first new boat and I'm in love with it as is my wife. We daysail and take cruises on Lake Ontario for weeks at a time. For yourself go sit on a 31 then sit in a 33. You'll notice a huge difference. It's the first time my wife has said we should look at the larger boat.
As far as quality goes the only complaint I have is that of several voids in the gelcoat in the cokpit area. These were fixed immediately by the Broker. The boat has a 5 yr warrantee stem to stern so most prblems except for osmosis should show up during the warrantee period.
We installed a full compliment of electronics which makes my decisions easier.
We went as far as to install a heat pump/airconditioner which extends our season. The air has a sampling system which samples the air on the boat every couple of hours when at the dock and not attended. If the humidity is too high it switches on to dry the air and prevents any of the musty smells that can develop due to damp humid air in the boat. It sounds decadent but it's been a pleasure having it.
The cockpit is big and the wheel folds so that at the dock there is plenty of room to walk by it. We use stern boarding.
The boat is fast and handles very well. Down wind the boat tends to be slow as we have a furling main which has a smaller sail area than the normal rig. However; I purchased an asymmetrical spinnaker this winter so that should solve my need for speed.
Ultimately it needs to be your decision. Good hunting.
Old 05-17-2007

walterj7 is on a distinguished road
I'm seriously looking to pickup a Hunter 78'-84' wheel steering and shoal draft. I've been close on a couple last year but: 1. Decided with my shoulder I needed wheel steering (also had shoulder operated on last winter) and 2.Due to lack of slip space in Daytona Beach area to keep her at anchor when in the water & trailer when not.

In anticipation of finding the right boat this year I've just bought a 07' Toyota Tundra Double cab (the one that tows 10,000#). But won't pull the trigger until later in the year or early spring.

So my question is what advice, got-ya's etc can you offer?
Old 04-07-2011

swiftibis is on a distinguished road
I bought a 1984 H31 and have lived on it for 3 1/2 years, and my wife with me the past year. This is a decent little boat with much more storage than some of the more racy boats its size. It's a very light boat with lots of beam and gets uncomfortable fast as it gets nasty. I agree with the reefing early aspect. I installed an inner forestay for a storm jib, works well and extends my sailing capability into the really nasty that this boat was not designed for. The Yanmar 2GMF 13hp is underpowered, and I added a 3 blade prop that decreased vibes and increased fuel efficiency and speed. A bad thing is hunter's way of running the chainplate rods down to a piece of L-iron affixed to the inner liner. This caused a pucker on the port side of my boat, probably won't sink it but no good. The hunter rep said it's a really bad thing but I think the hulls are just thin. Also, if you have to re-rig a B+R get ready to pull out your wallet. That rig has so many end fittings that it's quite costly to re-rig. I did mine in 2007 all myself and still cost me 1500. The hunter rep quoted me 4k. Hunter puts carpet over all bare fiberglass surfaces, super nasty in the v-berth. Rip it out, apply form insulation and face with either a nice plastic sheet or pretty wood. The boat sails well, and it's fun to pop the chute for downwind runs. It's in the yard now and there are about 100 dime-sized blisters after not being painted for 5 or 6 years, and that aint bad! I'm going to let em ride. The cockpit is tight due to the large wheel, very annoying. I traded for a 6" diameter smaller wheel and eased the problem. The bimini/dodger is a round-bow type and useless for sailing in real rain, unless you sit in the companionway and steer via autopilot buttons. If you buy a boat this age, replace all the hoses or else your boat might sink.
Old 04-07-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
After sailing a H-36 for 4 years a lot of it single handed I would suggest the 36. If you get the 31 or 33 you will outgrow it very soon and then you will be stuck trying to sell again and upgrading. Make the jump to the 36 and avoid 6 footitis.
Old 11-28-2011

deeman is on a distinguished road
A jump from a MAC26 to either the 31 or the 33 will be a great move up as others have suggested. After being in a Hunter 33 for awhile, you'll love the size, it feels much bigger than it is. Coming from a MAC, you'll feel like you went from a box under the bridge to a mansion!! lol.
Old 12-06-2011

countrybumpkin is on a distinguished road
I don't think the OP is around to see the last two post. This thread is like 5 year old.