Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Hunter
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008

victorias is on a distinguished road
winter store-mast up or down?

I am new to sailing, and my 27' Hunter which is on her 2nd year of on lake sailing in the NE, will be stored outside at a Marina. I am not sure if it is better to store her with her mast up (cheaper) or mast down. Her rigging seems to be in good shape.
Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2008

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
There are different opinions regarding this. So having done both I'll add mine. The yard likes them down for a couple of reasons. First of which is they can charge you for taking it down and putting it up. Secondly, the mast up creates windage that given the correct circumstances could topple the boat and damage nearby boats. So they charge you extra for more poppet's. Also being in NE you get Ice. So if you don't cover the boat you may get damage from falling ice from the rigging.

Ok now the pluses, It's less money for you. You don't have to fully re-tune the rig in the spring. Your mast and boat won't get beat up during the process.
A simple compromise I use is every other year, using the down year for inspections and repairs. With a 27 footer I won't hesitate to leave the mast up.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 08-28-2008
Sailor

Warren M. is on a distinguished road
If your marina gives you a choice (some do not), and you are in an area where it doesn't blow like hell a lot, I'd leave the mast up. I have my H28.5 hauled every winter in a yard about 20 miles south of Annapolis so we have fairly moderate winters. Storms (including ice storms) do occur, but are usually not severe. The yard where the boat is stored typically holds between 1,000 - 1,200 boats, mostly sail boats. Virtually every boat is blocked with the mast up. As far as I can tell, they have never had any problems related to storing boats with their masts up. I would only unstep my mast if I had specific work to do on it.

Last edited by Warren M.; 08-28-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Mast up and point the boat into where the wind comes from!
Old 04-04-2009

chrismead is on a distinguished road
I'm with every comment here. I store my 28 with the mast up and only took it down this year to replace running rigging. Engineers at Hunter said there's no reason to take it down. In fact, the guy I was talking to said that's when most damage occurs - mast gets dropped, standing rigging pinched, etc.

I was counseled only to purchase another 2 jack stands cause the wind blows hard during Lake Erie winters. So, my boat has loads of kick stands.

I know this reply is super late BUT now that spring is here...I am happy the mast is down because I am effecting many needed repairs to the lights, electronics, etc.
Old 04-04-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
For smaller boats I don't object too much to leaving the stick up but anything over 34' or so and I am dead against it. If you have ever been in a 36' boat when its in a cradle with the mast up and the wind howling at 40knots you would never leave your mast up again. The noise of the bulkheads ratcheting and the boat twisting can be deafening. You simply cannot produce all that noise without damage over time.
Old 04-04-2009

kiprichard is on a distinguished road
I leave mine up...

I do, however, run up sacrifical halyards. Any old line will work. Good quality, non stretch halyards are too expensive to leave exposed all winter if you're not sailing.

Last edited by kiprichard; 04-04-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2009

chrismead is on a distinguished road
Now that's a great idea!

I love the sacrificial halyard idea...me thinks I am replacing because i have NOT done that over the years - all other lines are in the protected garage.

Another thought about rocking in the cradle or on jack stands - I figured the rigidity of dirt versus h2o would cause undue stresses in odd places - mast twist energies affecting the hull rather than transmitting into the water - i'm not a physicist but I play one on TV

The engineer i spoke with said, "Nah". Worse reality is the boat falls over; you could also get crazing in the gelcoat if the turnbuckles are too tight (not happened to me). But again, probably a smaller boat issue.

He also said nirvana is keeping the boat in the water; thought I should just move.
Old 05-02-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiprichard View Post
I do, however, run up sacrifical halyards. Any old line will work. Good quality, non stretch halyards are too expensive to leave exposed all winter if you're not sailing.
That is such a great idea, thanks.
Old 05-02-2009

Selkirk is on a distinguished road
Or, ya could just move to Mississippi. We sail year round here.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.