Crazy Woman Boat Driver
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Heading south down the US east coast to the Bahamas
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 13
OK Guys and Gals. I did it. I pulled the headliner to put in a new rope clutch. Here is the skinny on the the vinyl headliner. First I must apologies I took no pictures. Camera is broke.
1. Tools - One small 3 inch plastic scrapper and one old CD disk
2. Headliner construction - The headliner is held in place with a plastic C-clamp track the holds the headliner in place. The vinyl liner is tucked into this track
3. Pulling it out - I wedged in the plastic scrapper in very near the corner of the liner where I wanted to pull it out. I took a very small nose pliers, wrapped it in lens cleaning cloth and gently pulled the corner out. From there I move the plastic scrapper along the track (to open the C-clamp) gently pulling now with my fingers the headliner out. PULL OUT ENOUGH OF THE HEADLINER YOU NEED TO ACCESS THE AREA TO BE WORKED ON.
4. Putting it back it - Easy Pease! When you pull the headliner out you will see how Hunter tucked it into the track. I took the CD disk and wedge it just before the track where the headliner is out. I than rolled the CD, catching the fold of the headliner, in the track to the end. You will have some left over material from the headliner sticking out. That is OK. Now take the plastic scrapper and tuck the rest of the material into the track. My technique was take the corner of the scrapper place it into the C-clamp track and roll the scrapper into the track. Do this until all extra material is tuck nicely and presto, you are done!
Catalina 445, Hull #90