SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Headliner

15K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Nodak7 
#1 ·
I have a 06 Hunter 36. Does anyone know how the headliners come down? I am adding hardware to the cabin top for a spinnaker and changing out the way the running rig comes back to the cockpit.

#5 · (Edited)
Well, I finally contacted Hunter. I went to the Annapolis boat show to see if there was anyone there that could answer my questions but the Tech guys weren't there.
How I finally contact Hunter was through Lewmar. I needed the stand-up blocks with spring attached for the new running rigging that I was putting in place. No commercial distribution store carried what I needed, mainly the spring at the base of the mast. I was pulling the hair out of head trying to come up with this spring that cost .99 cents. The folks at Lewmar were great, the maker of the blocks currently on the boat. They didn't make the spring. So they contact the production manager at Hunter who in less than 2 minutes contact me on the phone. He said the spring was custom made by Sheldon. I asked if I could buy them and he said yes. I asked how much it was and he told me .99 cents. I asked how much the whole package of block's would cost and he told me $18. That was 50% off the lowest price I have seen on commercial website. I was shocked to say the least. So I bought two. I than said I have a few questions about the boat, i.e. the liner. He patched me to the customer service guys where I spent the next 1/2 on the phone with them. They answered all my questions I had in the boat. They walked me through the process of pulling the headliner off and back on.
I cannot say enough about the great service I received by Lewmar and Hunter. I didn't think a lone sailor using their products would give me the time of day. The production manager at Hunter called me two days latter to follow up and make sure I was satisfied. Talk about customer service. Thank you Lewmar and Hunter.

#10 ·
Well, that is the million dollar question. Here is what Hunter told me.

The Headliner is held up in a track that is attach to the coach-roof. One has to find a corner, open up the track with a tool and carefully pull the headliner out of the track. Only take out as much of the headliner that you need to get to the area you are working on. For what I gathered it like a furling jib track that that headliner sits in. Only one can prey open the track. Now for the tool.

#1 Buy their custom made tool for $80. :eek:
#2. Use the edge of an old CD to open the track and reattach the headliner.
#3. Get a putty knife and file down the edge to a dull finish.
#4. Get a screen gasket tool (Like a pizza cutter but only dull).
I plan on trying this out this weekend. Wish me luck.

#12 ·
OK Guys and Gals. I did it. I pulled the headliner to put in a new rope clutch. Here is the skinny on the the vinyl headliner. First I must apologies I took no pictures. Camera is broke.

1. Tools - One small 3 inch plastic scrapper and one old CD disk
2. Headliner construction - The headliner is held in place with a plastic C-clamp track the holds the headliner in place. The vinyl liner is tucked into this track
3. Pulling it out - I wedged in the plastic scrapper in very near the corner of the liner where I wanted to pull it out. I took a very small nose pliers, wrapped it in lens cleaning cloth and gently pulled the corner out. From there I move the plastic scrapper along the track (to open the C-clamp) gently pulling now with my fingers the headliner out. PULL OUT ENOUGH OF THE HEADLINER YOU NEED TO ACCESS THE AREA TO BE WORKED ON.
4. Putting it back it - Easy Pease! When you pull the headliner out you will see how Hunter tucked it into the track. I took the CD disk and wedge it just before the track where the headliner is out. I than rolled the CD, catching the fold of the headliner, in the track to the end. You will have some left over material from the headliner sticking out. That is OK. Now take the plastic scrapper and tuck the rest of the material into the track. My technique was take the corner of the scrapper place it into the C-clamp track and roll the scrapper into the track. Do this until all extra material is tuck nicely and presto, you are done!

#16 ·
Well it was a try!

I took the liner down from my 09 H33 this weekend to install two new rope clutches. Taking it down was not much of a problem. Just take some micro needle nose pliers and reach into a corner and pull out. It came without much problem. However, replacing it was another matter! I tried the CD method and it worked but it was a real pain and very slow. The c channel is so tight it was hard to even get the edge of the CD in. I finally wound up breaking it. Anyway I had to give up on it for now but will try again this weekend. I may try a dulled paint scraper for the next try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.