Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Hunter
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
1975 Hunter 25

Hi Folks,
Going to have a look at a 1975 Hunter 25' at the weekend, it's currently out of the water so should be able to have a decent poke round it. Are there any particular areas of weakness on this model or things to look out for? Also, it's currently fitted with a 15hp outboard, is this too big for one of these?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2009

philngrvn is on a distinguished road
I bought a 79 Hunter 25 last march (my first sailboat). I think it was a great boat for me to learn on but I'm already looking to move up to a bigger boat. My biggest complaint is head room in the cabin. Another thing I noticed with mine is that there is a lot of storage space around the cockpit underneith but it's hard to access with the two hatches. I know some Hunters are configured a little different so this might not be an issue on the one you are looking at. My boat is a good boat and I like it but if I were to do it over again I would probably look for a boat with more head room and maybe a bigger beam. Home this helps.
Old 12-05-2009

Keeley25 is on a distinguished road
Post Hunter 25

I currently own and frequently travel in my 79 hunter 25. They are very easy sailing boats and as for having a 15 hp, that is a good thing as long as it runs well. Nothing worse than having them hold the bridge open and not making it through in a timely mannner. My only complaint... My mast has recently been leaking at the mast step(foot) into the head(toilet). There are 5 other hunters ranging from 25'-thru 38' here at my marina. They all have the same problem. I have looked and checked and I believe that the only way to resolve this issue is to use some 3M 5200 silicone before you put up your mast. Use it generously and seal all possible leaks. I have been up and down the mast looking for holes and have found none with mine. I have tried to silicone the base as has everyone else i know with the problem and gobbing it up on the bottom looks bad and is harder to scrape out when you silicone it again in 2 weeks. If anyone reads this and could help me with some suggestions, i would love that as well. Also the Hunter 25 if rigged correctly and the captain can hold it, is a pretty quick little boat. only 25' i found that I can almost stand in rather than crawl. Nice boat.
Old 12-08-2009

digbysailor is on a distinguished road
demast

I had a 1981 h25 my mast step had a leak...unfortunately it did not come thru into the head instead it saturated the core and caused a slight compression of the deck roughly 1/8th of an inch on the aft end of the step.Normally a leak is absorbed by the core to a degree before it actually leaks into the cabin.My recomendation would be to demast the boat and remove the teak cover inside the cabin that encloses the mast step bolts and remove the nuts pull the stainless step and take a bent nail/dental pick and determine if the core has been comprimised if it hasnt then rebed the step with 5200 if it has determine the area that has been affected and remedy.long story short u need to demast.
Old 03-06-2012

bhockey47 is on a distinguished road
Re: 1975 Hunter 25

I had a '75 H25 back in '75 bought it new...absolutely loved have owned 2 other hunters since then...now looking for a 50 to live on. The only issue I have was in rough water it was very difficult to keep the damn prop in the water...otherwise great boat.