Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Hunter
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Why are there so many Hunter haters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sorry dude, not true. Unless things have changed in the last few years, this is from the following 1999 CWBB interview conducted by our very own Jeff_H:

HunterOwners.com - Hunter Q&A

Anyone know if Hunter's stopped adhering to this standard?
For what I can understand the ones that are exported to Europe have necessarily to pass RCD standards. What I found odd is that the ones for the US are built differently and will not pass those standards:

"All Hunters 34' and larger comply with the CE A design category. Those built for US ...lack various safety placards, stove shielding...."

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
For what I can understand the ones that are exported to Europe have necessarily to pass RCD standards. What I found odd is that the ones for the US are built differently and will not pass those standards:

"All Hunters 34' and larger comply with the CE A design category. Those built for US ...lack various safety placards, stove shielding...."

Regards

Paulo
Not quite. You didn't finish out that quote:

Quote:
Those built for US delivery would have to have a serial number change that is not accepted by the US Coast Guard documentation service and lack various safety placards, stove shielding, and VHF radio specs required by the IMCI. Otherwise the construction is identical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-26-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

I get a kick out of people jumping onto the Hunter Haters band wagon who try to sound all "informed".

They would have you believe their opinion of the boats after 1 sail (or just on their massive internet armchair reading experience) somehow is more valid that all the people who own and sail on Hunters. Somehow they are just more knowledgeable and experienced on Hunters than owners.

Or is it that they just figure all Hunter owners are liars and idiots? Afterall Hunter has one of the highest level of repeat buyers around, must be a lot of happy owners.
Old 11-26-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road

to be fair the hunter 380 i sailed was poorly maintained and an ex charter boat but i still believe theres a lot of things that the eu standards don't address because for the most part they test wether the boat is safe to take across not whether the voyage will be pleasant, beamy boats with open interiors are a lot more tricky to move around in in bad weather, although that could be because i am used to my own fairly narrow boat,I do have to say the electrical and plumbing installations n production boats including hunters are a lot better than a lot of good brands older boats. high freeboard and the b&r rigs are two other things i dont like about hunters,

although alot of modern boats have high freeboard ive noticed that hunters for the most part have considerably more freeboard than alot of catalinas that could be untrue, its just something i have noticed from seeing them on the dock, we dont have many hunters in the marina my boat was at but when i sailed in toronto there were quite a few, i just think that the fit and finish and the construction of hunters while it may be good enough to make them safe for one or two ocean passages wouldn't hold up for extended offshore use like a najad would. My opinion is really formed off that one experience i had, i put more stock in what i have personally experienced than in what the literature or the data or posters say about a boat, I don't think that a hunter would fall apart going across an ocean but i think a hunter under 35 or 40 feet probably would after extended offshore use, just things like cabinetry and bulkheads not being tabbed is kind of worrying but maybe what i experienced was a fluke.

i do know a guy who made it across lake huron in a hunter 22 in 7 or 8 foot waves with the mast down so maybe your right. I don't think my boat without the modifications i have done would withstand multiple ocean passages either, but there are boats that would and i have heard really good things about the passage series of hunters, again this is only really based on the one negative experience i had with the 380 which i believe was designed before glen henderson it was introduced in 1999 according to sailboat data. that being said the 290 i sailed seemed pretty decent but i never experienced it in bad weather so i assume being of the same vintage it would have similar issues that the 380 had, the 39 i sailed however was actually pretty nice with the exception of the b&r rig which i dislike, it had a nice cockpit, and a well organized galley, I'm just biased towards c&c's rustlers hallberg rassys najads and a few other brands. hunters are just not a boat i like, i dont like the beneteau oceanis series either, i love beneteaus first series though, just personal preference, feeling and one bad experience really.

We all have preferences and jeff h knows alot more than i do about yacht design all i know is my gut feeling and in some way gut feeling is actually an important measure because if you feel comfortable on a boat your more likely to be a good sailor because you feel more confident, and in the end 75 percent of everything is the person not the boat, which is why i said that for my purposes hunters dont fit the bill but other people may feel more comfortable on a hunter than a hallberg rassy. i don't own a boat from any of the brands i mentioned btw but those are the brands i'm saving up for because those are the boats i feel comfortable in for now i sail the boat that i have now which is the most comfortable boat in my price range.
Old 11-26-2013

oh and to add to that i do not hate hunter, never said i did, just don't feel as comfortable and confident in them in storm conditions than i do in other brands boats wether thats because of a legitamite concern or not, i do not know because I am not a yacht designer, i have an understanding of fundamental physical science concepts but not the more minute things that some of the rest of you know about, my observations aren't meant to be scientific but just my personal experience. Also i would consider a cherubini hunter and i actually looked at a 33 when i bought my boat.
Old 11-26-2013

Quote:
Not quite. You didn't finish out that quote:
Honestly I don't get it. It is identical except for "lack various safety placards, stove shielding". That was what I said, I said also that did not understand why those safety items are not included in the US boats.

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-26-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Honestly I don't get it. It is identical except for "lack various safety placards, stove shielding". That was what I said, I said also that did not understand why those safety items are not included in the US boats.

Regards

Paulo
Oh, I thought you were saying that they weren't constructed to the same offshore rating standard - (that they were "built differently')..

As for why the safety placards, stove shielding, and vhf specs are different here...I have no idea. But that difference in how they're equipped doesn't mean the US Hunters are "built differently" or any less capable offshore than the European boats (at least the way I read it). That was my point.

Old 11-26-2013

Quote:
.... But that difference in how they're equipped doesn't mean the US Hunters are "built differently" or any less capable offshore than the European boats (at least the way I read it). That was my point.
Smack, a well designed 30ft can pass the requirements for class A. almost all European 33ft are class A boats. It is a minimum requirement.

Regarding being more or less offshore capable than European boats you would need to compare boat for boat. Certainly that are some European production boats more offshore capable than the Hunter, others will be similar.

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-26-2013

i really don't understand why everything turns into a fight on this site however, like i dont think hunters are bad boats its just that i don't like them i don't understand why people feel the need to take that as a personal attack. I respect that people don't like my boat and i mean i don't think my boat is the best boat its just the best i can afford, which to be fair pretty much excludes all newer boats because i have a small budget. i don't jump on bandwagons either i recognize a lot of people here like cal's but the only cal i have been on was a 46 and it was an awful boat so i don't particularly like cal's because o that either. bad impressions tend to stick. It doesn't mean your boat is bad or less good I was simply trying to share my personal opinion i am sorry that some people on the site took that as me attacking hunter i certainly am not just stating my opinion in what i perceived to be a non accusatory non threatening manner.
Old 11-26-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Smack, a well designed 30ft can pass the requirements for class A. almost all European 33ft are class A boats. It is a minimum requirement.

Regarding being more or less offshore capable than European boats you would need to compare boat for boat. Certainly that are some European production boats more offshore capable than the Hunter, others will be similar.

Regards

Paulo
Agreed.