Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Hunter
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Hunters are great bang for the buck and I have sailed 6 of them and every one amazed me with some irrational piece of design...They are the best 'Winnebagos' and about the worst off-shore sailboats out there.

Great marina queens and coastal cruisers..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormeum View Post
Aside from having to beach one when the hull/deck seam opened up, I have no issues with them.
Got any pics of it? There was one a few years ago that had the same thing happen but the pics were quickly removed from the net. Over all I find them decent boats at a decent price, for the purpose they were intended for..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-30-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
If you are concerned about what others think of your boat, if you feel that a boat you like is "bashed," maybe the problem isn't the boat.
Old 07-01-2010

nightowle is on a distinguished road
I've sailed a couple Hunters and been very happy with their performance. These were post '95 models, so I can't make a judgment about the earlier builds that may have had structural problems. I have a friend with a 3 year old Catalina that's been plagued with a laundry list of issues. So per the previous posts - any company will have it's detractors. I think that sailors making negative comments about Hunters just haven't been aboard any recent models or sailed the boats themselves.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 07-01-2010
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
If you think the Hunter hate is bad...

Get a load of the MacGregor hate!!
Old 07-01-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
If you are concerned about what others think of your boat, if you feel that a boat you like is "bashed," maybe the problem isn't the boat.
Dude, we're talking Hunter here. Wake up man! Heh-heh.

However, I think you could turn the above into a lovely haiku.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-01-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
"I think that sailors making negative comments about Hunters just haven't been aboard any recent models or sailed the boats themselves."

IMHO - Such hunters are a 'class unto themselves' .... designed and set up for 'strictly non-performance' / more elderly sailors.

Rig is non-adjustable for changing wind/weather conditions, usually in mast furling .... VERY bad if one needs to SHAPE a sail for the conditions (remembering that a sail on a furler can only be reduced by 30% sail area without inducing god-awful shape), HUGE cockpits but with little to NO line controls convenient for the helmsman to single hand without leaving the cockpit/helm - therefore requiring TWO to sail one. Few ergonometric and easily reached hand holds in the interior - OK for quiet 'inshore' sailing but a potential body injury disaster when 'outside'.

Theyre good for what they are designed for .... dockside entertaining, sailing in moderate fair-weather coastal or inshore conditions. There is BIG market for such and Hunter really fills such a need/niche .... as the demographics of sailing are quickly moving to 'sailors of retirement age'.

Last edited by RichH; 07-01-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-01-2010

CapTim is on a distinguished road
As a hunter owner, I'd say it's two things:

1) Everybody likes to criticize, as it makes us sound more intelligent. Nobody gets on TV by being nice, after all...

2) When you own a hunter, you notice more of the dissuading comments regarding hunters. If you own a mini-van, you notice the disparaging comments about mini-vans. If you own a gun, you notice the gun comments. If you own a ... anyway, that's my bet.

There's no more 'hunter hate' than there is 'catalina hate' or 'mac hate' or 'burger king' hate. But if you own a hunter and don't eat at burger king.. well.. guess which part sticks out in your memory when you think back ...

In other news.. a lot of those hunter-haters raise good points. No boat is perfect. There's a gem of wisdom in most steaming piles of verbal diarrhea.

But I still bought - and am quite happy with - my hunter. Sure, it's a pig, tender as all get out, and can't carry a jib much larger than a handkerchief, but it's a great little daysailor with a ton of room and simple enough to sail that 8-year-olds can walk away from an afternoon of fun and feel like they learned something enjoyable. It's not an offshore cutter with 18 control lines for each sail, but it does what I need it to.

So I'm not terribly concerned with the critiques of things I know to be true, but consider necessary evils in order to have the things I want.

Least I don't own one of those cheap-arse mac's, huh?

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Old 07-01-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Got any pics of it? There was one a few years ago that had the same thing happen but the pics were quickly removed from the net. Over all I find them decent boats at a decent price, for the purpose they were intended for..
It was quite a while ago, so no pics. That said, it did permanently put me off plastic boats.
Old 07-01-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapTim View Post
As a hunter owner, I'd say ...:

.. I'm not terribly concerned with the critiques of things I know to be true, but consider necessary evils in order to have the things I want.
That's the point. Different boat owners want diferent things from their boats, so there are a lot of diferent cruiser boat types. Hunter fits on the mainstream with Oceanis, Bavarias and Jeanneaus. I believe that choosing among them is more a question of personal taste and about the options each boat offers to make the boat the one you really need or want.

Personally I find that the European boats have a better design...but I am an European, with an European taste .

I believe that Hunters almost don't sell in Europe on account of that: aesthetics, and I mean the outside look of the boat.

Regards

Paulo