Why are there so many Hunter haters? - Page 36 - SailNet Community
 118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #351 of 374 Old 03-21-2017

Re: Why are there so many Hunter haters?

Yawn...
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 374 Old 03-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I have been full time cruising for 6 months and sailed from the Boston area to the Exumas Bahamas. If people were really truly social animals they would be owning Hunters. I've seen more post 1998 Hunters cruising than any other boat.

It's pretty simple, Hunter owners go cruising and Hunter bashers sit around typing.
I went looking for data to see if this claim was supported outside of Hunters home waters. I believe Hunter is based out of Florida, so I would expect to see a few extra Hunters on the US East Coast.

I did a search for the 2015 and 2016 ARC rallies, because I figured they would give a pretty good impression of the type of vessels being used by a good cross section of international cruisers. I was actually surprised by how few Hunters are out there, I know they aren't the first choice for lots of folks for offshore cruising, but I was not expecting to see less than 1%. Here are the lists for 2015 and 2016. There was one Hunter in each year. A 42 in 2015 and a 36 in 2016.

https://www.worldcruising.com/arc/ar...ntentries.aspx

https://www.worldcruising.com/arc/ar...ntentries.aspx

Bay Hen 21, Prindle 16, Walker Bay 8
post #353 of 374 Old 03-23-2017

Funny what your eyes want to see out here..I mostly see doube enders, Albergs, Baba's, Westsail's and any other number of stout craft. Wouldn't know a Hunter from a Benetau. Some bias going on in our vision...
Lazerbrains likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

post #354 of 374 Old 03-23-2017
Dirt Free

Currently cruising the Abacos. Have seen hundreds of boats ....... maybe 10 Hunters.

PS. I am by no means a Hunter basher. Although not without faults, I think they are better built than any of the Euro production boats.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #355 of 374 Old 03-23-2017

I sail with a bunch of dude that have hunters, most seem to be ok but just take a good look at the 28 footer from the late 80's and you will see why they get a smirk from old schoolers.
post #356 of 374 Old 03-23-2017

Go to the VI's and all you will see are catamarans. Go to the PNW and all you see are heavy full keel boats. Go to the Panama Canal and surrounds and you will see just about everything pass by.

I'm not sure what that means.

But the Bahamas do have a lot of Hunters. The US East Coast in general does.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #357 of 374 Old 03-23-2017

Different boats do different things better or worse than others.

Controversial idea, apparently, in the boating world.
Lazerbrains likes this.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #358 of 374 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I bought a new Passage 420 in 1999 in Florida after seeing it first at the London boat show and then taking one on some trials in the Solent. I was very supprised by the mainly American boaters that were anti Hunters and criticised their build and sea worthiness.

Now 17 years later, after living on board 2/3rds of that time I know for a fact that my boat not only has been an extremely comfortable boat for living on and cruising but has had less problems than many other boats that cost twice as much. We have sailed 30,000 miles firstly around the Caribbean, then across the Pacific, and then NZ and several trips from NZ to the South Pacific islands. We have faced some huge seas and storms and our boat handles them far better we do.

When cruising most of the time is spent at anchor and our huge aft cabin with full size double bed that you can access from both sides has been the envy of many a boater. We have a designed a bed board that slots down the side for passages.

As another post in this thread points out - there are Hunter owners out their living the dream and there are others that spend to much time being negative.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris NZ For This Useful Post:
ianjoub (2 Weeks Ago)
post #359 of 374 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Funny what your eyes want to see out here..I mostly see doube enders, Albergs, Baba's, Westsail's and any other number of stout craft. Wouldn't know a Hunter from a Benetau. Some bias going on in our vision...
Where are you looking? Only a handful of those make it down here! Bias - yes!
post #360 of 374 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris NZ View Post
Where are you looking? Only a handful of those make it down here! Bias - yes!
Didn't see any in Stewart Island, nor Dusky Sound. Funny not seeing any in Sumatra now either..Viaduct probably full of tired out old ex charter boats from the med and the old caribe...maybe with the Pacific peso on parity with the AUD you might end up a bit less then even on yer return.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.