Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Why is there so many Hunter haters?

Because they are near or at the bottom end of the new boat market price wise and people are still ticked they cant afford one........

Just a theory...
Well, lets add to that theory:

they can't afford them but they can afford some old 20 or 30 year's old sail boat and of course, that 20 year old sailboat will be (for them) a lot better than a Hunter that is just an expensive piece of crap

The Hunters are for many sailors like La Fontaine grapes

The Fox and the Grapes: Jean de La Fontaine's fable

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2011
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
The bottom of the price thing isn't correct. Most production boats are close to each others price for the various sizes.

And they aren't crap except to people who need to say this order to justify having spendt more money on their boat so they can feel better about themselves.
Old 12-16-2011

xxuxx is on a distinguished road
Hunter Passage models make great blue water cruisers

From a blue water cruiser who sailed a 2001 Hunter 450 Passage. Both the 450 Passage (1999-2002) and the 456 (2003-2006) or there abouts both versions carry 100 gallon fuel takes and have Kevlar reinforced stringers in the hull. They both hold 200 gallons of water as well. The newer Hunter Passage models hold only 75 gallons of fuel and offer only as an option the larger fuel tanks. I have yet to find one outfitted with the larger tank. This tankage really helps in long passages and was well used during the Caribe 1500 rally from Hampton Va to Nanny Cay, Tortola. Also this years caribe 1500 had a Hunter Passage 420 which arrived in the middle of the fleet standings. Many boats had breakdowns, even the snob appeal boats ie Oyster, Tayana. Island Packet, but nooooooooo not the Hunter!!! I have had mine in 60 knot gale winds and she was rock solid. Yes she creaked and squeaked but so does most every boat in 25 foot seas. We sailed her with only a small piece of furled jib and the strain on the furling line was incredible. We lost part of our SSB antenna and the Magma grill cover. We saw 12 knots in a hull designed for 8 maximum. We were in a broad reach thus allowing the foresail to give us the stability that was needed. Both the rig and the hull were rock solid..........one cannot go wrong using this as both a live aboard and a bluewater sailor. Any further questions PM me.
Old 12-17-2011
For'n aft'r

Ocarina II is on a distinguished road
I agree with Vsk1,Hunters are no worse than Catalinas or Benetaus etc.
Thing is once you see the bottom fall out of a Hunter or here of the keel falling off another while the boat is being craned it kind of shades your opinion.
Old 04-22-2012

RatHatDiver is on a distinguished road
Re: Hunter Passage models make great blue water cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
From a blue water cruiser who sailed a 2001 Hunter 450 Passage. Both the 450 Passage (1999-2002) and the 456 (2003-2006) or there abouts both versions carry 100 gallon fuel takes and have Kevlar reinforced stringers in the hull. They both hold 200 gallons of water as well. The newer Hunter Passage models hold only 75 gallons of fuel and offer only as an option the larger fuel tanks. I have yet to find one outfitted with the larger tank. This tankage really helps in long passages and was well used during the Caribe 1500 rally from Hampton Va to Nanny Cay, Tortola. Also this years caribe 1500 had a Hunter Passage 420 which arrived in the middle of the fleet standings. Many boats had breakdowns, even the snob appeal boats ie Oyster, Tayana. Island Packet, but nooooooooo not the Hunter!!! I have had mine in 60 knot gale winds and she was rock solid. Yes she creaked and squeaked but so does most every boat in 25 foot seas. We sailed her with only a small piece of furled jib and the strain on the furling line was incredible. We lost part of our SSB antenna and the Magma grill cover. We saw 12 knots in a hull designed for 8 maximum. We were in a broad reach thus allowing the foresail to give us the stability that was needed. Both the rig and the hull were rock solid..........one cannot go wrong using this as both a live aboard and a bluewater sailor. Any further questions PM me.

Honestly, my Wife and I wanted nothing to do with Hunter boats. After spending this last weekend looking at 5 Hunters with our broker, our minds have been changed. We really liked the 456cc. I love center cockpit sail boats. Yes If I had 500k plus I would buy and IP. Im going to research the crap out of the Hunter Passage line of boats. SailNet is a great place to start.
Old 04-23-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Hunter Passage models make great blue water cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatHatDiver View Post
Honestly, my Wife and I wanted nothing to do with Hunter boats. After spending this last weekend looking at 5 Hunters with our broker, our minds have been changed. We really liked the 456cc. I love center cockpit sail boats. Yes If I had 500k plus I would buy and IP. Im going to research the crap out of the Hunter Passage line of boats. SailNet is a great place to start.
Rather than start the war again here, I will send you a PM with some posts from here and elsewhere.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 04-23-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-24-2013

hunter356 is on a distinguished road
re: Why are there so many Hunter haters?

These Hunter bashers have NEVER owned or sailed on the newer Hunter.Take it from someone whos owned several boats,34-50 feet,irwin.older hunter34,gulfstar,beneteau,My hunter 356 is better construction and a superb sailor also. Overall, I think they are the best production sailboat on todays market and represent a good value too.
Old 10-24-2013

xxuxx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter356 View Post
These Hunter bashers have NEVER owned or sailed on the newer Hunter.Take it from someone whos owned several boats,34-50 feet,irwin.older hunter34,gulfstar,beneteau,My hunter 356 is better construction and a superb sailor also. Overall, I think they are the best production sailboat on todays market and represent a good value too.
People?! Do you hear this? It is true. I second the above statement. The reason I think many of the more seasoned sailors knock these vessels is that they want to feel important exbounding knowledge which shows their vast knowledge of sailing, even if it is completely erroneous. And besides, have you ever looked at the PHRF ratings on some of the models? It will surprise you.
Old 10-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter356 View Post
And don't forget...they're boneheads too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-24-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajasurf View Post
I actually like the lines, etc on the Vision 32 and am considering buying one.

Every time i mention one, i get dirty looks?

confused?
Friends of ours owned a Vision 32 and were very happy with the boat. Suffering a case of bigger-boat-itis a few years ago, they sold her and moved up and have often conceded it wasn't a great move.

While Hunter has had some problems, as have other builders, the boats really aren't bad and some are really quite good. Frankly, I wouldn't concern myself with what others may or may not think. It's what you think that matters, No?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.