Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Hunter
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010
Baja sur(f)

bajasurf is on a distinguished road
Why are there so many Hunter haters?

I actually like the lines, etc on the Vision 32 and am considering buying one.

Every time i mention one, i get dirty looks?

confused?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2010

pedcab is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajasurf View Post
I actually like the lines, etc on the Vision 32 and am considering buying one.

Every time i mention one, i get dirty looks?

confused?
My guess? Because Hunter is one of those builders who makes sailing available to the masses, and some just don't appreciate that... Some would rather be the only ones out in their one hundred thousand foot yachts looking down at the mortals...

Portugal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pedcab; 06-17-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I actually don't really care for there looks. Post a pic of the one your looking at. I'm curious?

Edit:
Is this one? Actually quite nice looking.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 06-17-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Actually Hunters are nice boats. I had a hunter 23, I really love the old Cheribini hunter 33s too. I don't like the vision's non traditional mast.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I like some Hunters (at least to look at) but not all. I would take a few models offshore but a very few. That goes for most production coastal cruiser types though and there have been many discussions about why so I won't get into that here. For coastal, in the Sound type of cruising, yeah, they're nice, roomy boats. Those same things rule them out for offshore in my book.

Old 06-17-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
This is why: Boat Review* by David Pascoe - Hunter 28

Many (older) Hunters were just all show and no go. They utilized bad construction techniques that just didn't stand up to the rigors of on the water usage. Even when Hunter used sound construction theories in their construction, the execution during construction was also sub-par resulting in boats that had many maintenance issues.

Now, newer Hunters have fixed many of these concerns. But the brand took a big hit in the past and it takes time for the perception once establishd to fade away....especially in the market Hunter participates in, where Catalina has been building boring but reliable designs for years and Beneteau just kills everyone on pricing because of their volume.
xymotic likes this.
Old 06-17-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Hunter has almost always danced to their own drummer with results that can be viewed as both good and not so good. An example of the good is that they were one of the first U.S. boat manufacturers to completely adhere to ABS and ABYC standards. Surveryors have commented that Hunter more than almost any large production manufacturer does an extremely concienscous job on their various systems installations.

One the other side of the coin, Hunter has experimented with "innovative rigs, structural systems and styling" which have been panned in the court of public opinion.

My sense is that Hunter is no worse than any other large scale builder. Their boats are clearly built to a price point and a specific market and as such contain some very real compromises, but these are the types of compromises that one might expect in a family oriented, budget oriented boat. The case can be made from a variety of perspectives that Hunter is not ideal for everyone, and from most standpoints it can be argued that Hunter has made some mistakes over the years. (I would argue that from my perspective their 'Goes the Distance' ad campaign, which was seen as suggesting that the average Hunter was intended for offshore use, was at eroneously misleading. Ialso am not a fan of glued in bulkheads or outward flange hull to deck joints on bigger boats.) Still, I think that Hunter generally offers a nice product, albeit iteosyncratic, for the dollar and it is those iteosyncracies that draw a lot of fire.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 06-30-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Aside from having to beach one when the hull/deck seam opened up, I have no issues with them.
Old 06-30-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
If you love the boat, buy it.

My take on newer Hunters (based on a 45 cc and a 44 ds):
  • The B and R rig appears to have been used to permit a high roach main by the elimination of the backstay, but the standard main is in-mast furling (another story)
  • - The B and R rig makes broad reaching difficult and running nearly impossible.
  • - The interior is clearly not designed for an overnight, let alone an offshore, sail.
    • There not enough grab handles below to move around under way.
    • There are no sea berths and the full mattress in the aft cabin makes a lee cloth difficult to install.
    • The floor boards are loose. (On a trip around Cape Scott, one came out, flew across the sole and nearly hit the owner sleeping on the floor - see earlier comment about aft cabin)
    • The stove is a nightmare:
      • The handle on the oven door prevents the stove from gimballing properly as it hits the grab rail.
      • The rails are too low for the pot handles
      • It is an RV stove

They are very roomy and have some nice touches, but ...
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-30-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
A lot of these criticisms above could equally be applied to many Catalinas and almost all Beneteaus with which I have had experience, i.e., lack of handholds, loose deck plates, no sea berths, RV styling, etc.. Perceptions vary.

Having owned a Hunter Legend series in the past, I've also wondered why some seem to criticize them and considered the reasons to typically be that some people simply criticize as a means to sound more knowledgeable than they actually are.

More importantly, I've seen and been on Hunters which have circumnavigated and among fulltime cruisers, none have ever even thought to criticize a specific boat brand generically as some so frequently do here.

All boats, regardless of the nameplate on them, have system problems, structural issues, etc... which Hunter shares with their market competitors.
They all use similar fiberglass build schedules, tabbing methods, hull liners, etc... Criticizing one specific brand as a general statement is telling only of the author's mindset.
americanfrog and readerbill like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.