SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hunter Vision 36

13K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  SchockT 
#1 ·
We own a Vision 36. Anyone else around her have one? Do you want to compare notes?

#4 ·
Good for you. The 36 is a nice boat. Ours was in Point Richmond at Tradewinds untill Feb 05, when we brought her to Antioch. We've since made extensive upgrades, mostly safety related. God willing we'll be leaving for So. Cal on Feb 5, and farther south next winter. Still not sure if we'll go through the ditch or cross the puddle.

#6 ·
Yes, she is. We're a little nervous about the trip in general, but not about the boat. I've been blown into Monterey Bay on a gale twice. I've added alot of heavy weather gear: Dutchman boom brake, full batten main with two reef points, storm dodger, etc. and carry a warp, storm anchor (parachute), spare fuel, lots of ground tackle and more. I think it's more about being prepared and sailing in a prudent manner than the particular boat. She's proven to be strong, if a little tender, on the ocean. And, for a smaller boat, she has the room we need. She's not as seakindly as some, and may require more work to sail, but I have no doubts as to her seaworthiness. As Capt. Fatty says, "Mind the rudder, or meet the rock."

#7 ·
So you've cruised the coast in her. I'm getting my skill level up before I venture too far out the gate. We've owned our boat since March 08 and are just now finishing up all the repairs the PO left us to deal with.

The boom brake seems like a good idea on these boats, the mains are HUGE. We always sail reefed. I wish I had a third reef point.

What is a Warp?

#8 ·
I've cruised the coast and spent a few days about a hundred miles offshore outside the gate. The boom brake is a key piece of equipment, plus I modified the mainsheet attachment so that the load is spread over about 5 feet on three blocks instead of the original single point attachment.
A warp is a long, heavy line that you can drag behind the boat on a bridal to slow her and help stability in cross swells. I use a 220ft anchor rode with 15 ft of chain. Haven't tried it yet, but read about it in Lin and Larry Pardee's book on storm tactics, among other places.
I think we're pretty well prepared, but the key will be avoiding heavy weather when we can.

#9 ·
cruising

Dave, I just bought a Vision 32 like yours, well, I"m sure mine is not like yours. There is so much work to do to mine, it has been neglected for quite some years. I would love to follow along on your trip and experience with your boat. From what I have read from critics, seems like these Visions arent meant for other than coastal cruising. I am a bit sceptical that I can't venture far off with it. Mine was in my back yard and so I didnt have to pay to ship it here, I live in San Antonio, and will keep the boat on the Texas coast coast. Right now, the big problem is that there is rain water leaking into my aft compartment. Another Vision owner I've met on line assures me that the leak is from the large port window. Water leaks into starboard cockpit lazerrette and into aft bunk area. Any thoughts you might have, I'd appreciate.

Please keep me posted on your trip, "fair winds and following seas"

Jim

#10 ·
I've heard the critics, and the river sailors at my old marina in Antioch seemed amazed each time I told them about a trip to Monterey Bay and back. "You took YOUR boat?" Yea, why not?
I don't get the thing between coastal and offshore. I mean it's not like you're gonna swim 5 miles to shore, so it may as well be 500. Besides, more boats are lost on the rock than the open ocean.
I had a rainwater leak into the aft cabin that turned out to be the screws that hold down the deck at the helm, covering the steering. She will take enough water though the stern lockers in a heavy following sea to get the bed wet, so I put a bilge pump in the port locker...problem solved.
We left the Delta on Feb 5, arrived in San Diego on Feb 22, And I'm swinging on the hook in Isthmus Cove on Catalina Island as I write this. It's not an easy life, and she isn't a plush boat, but she's better than alot I've seen out here, and there's nothing more rewarding than making landfall after an overnight or longer passage.
Just remember... Don't put any systems on your boat that you can't either fix at sea, or live without.
Luck to ya. Don't dream your life...Live your dream

#11 ·
Vision

Dave, thanks for the reply. I can't recall what the deck looks like, I'll check it out this weekend. My boat is 2.5 hours away. During the survey, the panel that sits over the steering pully cables was found to be water logged. Are there screws under there? I'm not really convinced that water is leaking from the side windows all the way to the aft cabin. I like your idea of the added bilge pump, I may try that. You put the bilge pump in the lazerrette compartment? or down into the locker just behind of the aft compartment? the wood all along my aft compartment primarily on the starboard side, is either rotted or water damaged.

I agree with you about the boats. I'm going to love this thing!! Once upon a time, I was stationed in Alameda, and San Diego. I would have loved to have sailed to Catalina. Maybe some day! How far south are you going?

#12 ·
Dave:

So glad to hear you have traveled so far in a Vision. It makes me feel so much more comfortable about my boat.

I had to track down a diesel leak last weekend. The fill hose too tank spout connection leaks when fuel is sloshed around or when we fill up. I have to cut some of the lazarette floor away to gain access to the connection.

Please keep us posted as to where you are. I will be checking back.

Sail on Sailor!

Mike

#13 ·
Coxjam:

I had some leaking into my starboard lazarette when I first bought the boat. It turns out the shore power cable wasn't allowing the cover to close all the way. I just train the cable up through the drain slot under the edge of the cover and it is dry as a popcorn fart now.

I did experience some other leakage in heavy weather right under the steering pedestal. All the control cables, electronic cables, etc are led through the pedestal through one hole into the aft stateroom. Water finds it's way through the pedestal and that hole for the cables. Not a problem at the marina when the canvas cover is on, but under way, it's a leaky area if it gets wet.

Mike

#14 ·
Leaks

Mike, thx for the info. My shore power cord enters the boat at the starboard aft compartment where the battery charger lives so that's not my source of leak. I am very suspicious of cables entering aft compartment as well as cockpit floor. I look forward to spending a weekend on the boat while raining. It may help find all the leaks

#17 ·
I am seriously considering the Vision 36 as well. My plans would include local So Cal sailing, as well as sailing up north to Washington, Oregon, and possibly Canada. I would also like to sail south and enter the Gulf of Mexico at some point.

How is the 36 performing for you? I keep reading about the stayless mast not being very reliable.

#18 ·
We love our Vision 36. It's a 94, so a little long in the tooth with the normal maintenance issues.

What have you heard about the stayless mast? We have had zero problems. I retightened and sealed the bolts around the deck flange to stop a leak, but that is the only thing we have had to do with the mast.

#20 ·
The forward facing windows appear to have enough curvature that they would need to be heat formed on a mold. Building that mold for one window would be expensive and you would need to find a shop thst did heat forming if you don't have that skill. I would assume that Hunter did that in house so there wouldn't be much of chance buy one from an original source.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.