Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Iberia & The Med
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By PCP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Croatia versus Greece

First let me tell you that I find odd that Iberia and the Med are all on the same chapter regarding the several cruising destinations: There are probably more sailingboats cruising there than in the rest of the world altogether.

Since Greece and Croatia are on the same bag and I have been cruising there on the last years maybe I can help somebody regarding the choice of their next cruising ground or where they will charter next time (i am talking about summer cruising).

Both are beautiful places but they have their differences.

Croatia is one of the easiest places to sail: Shelters everywhere, lots of Islands at short distance, normally not much wind and when there is it does not last long. In the morning or night there is rare to have wind that starts to blow only after mid day and generally not strong.

Lots of Marinas (between 70 and 100 euros), lots of small city ports (about 30/35 Euros) and lots of buoys with a garbage service included (about 20 euros).

The front water villages are generally nicer than in Greece, there are a big number of old and interesting ones but...they are overcrowded. Excepting the buoys that can also be occupied very early, anchorages are few and everybody starts to look for a place at the beginning of the afternoon and even if you get one you will not be safe because for sure it will come a charter that will drop his anchor almost on top of yours.

The most overcrowded part is central Croatia (Split), the North and South are less. I prefer the South (Dubrovnick and nearby Islands).

Greece is less overcrowded, even on the Ionian that is the region with more sailboats. You will find places to anchor, life is cheaper, few marinas, many village ports (at about 20 euros) and almost no buoys. The Ionian is not very different from Croatia in what regards wind, maybe a little stronger. The Islands are also at close distance, maybe a bit more than in Croatia.

The Aegean is another story, specially in what regards the Islands: less charter boats, less sailing boats but the ones that sail there, even charter have normally better sailors than the ones on Croatia or even on the Ionian...and there are wind, all day, in the night too, even if normally is less strong. Sometimes the wind is too strong and you have to take shelter from some days and also it makes sense to keep an open course and sail away from 20K winds or over.

Incredible places, sometimes the only boat on anchorage, almost always a place to stay on a given anchorage and a different kind of tourism, I mean most places are touristic but in many you will find Greeks, not foreigners, and the cost of life is low.

So, take your pick
tdw and blowinstink like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-02-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
olddog60 (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Croatia versus Greece

Paulo,

Appreciate the input on your favourite cruising grounds.

Regarding the lumping in of Iberia and the Med into one category, it is not a matter of downplaying either area, or indeed areas within these areas. In reality we have to accept that Sailnet does not attract a big crowd of participants from Europe, Africa, Asia or Oceania and inevitably that effected the way in which we set up the Destinations section. Compromises had to be made.

Me I'd love to see enough activity so that we could have sub sections for half a dozen Mediterranean areas but sadly that is simply not the case.

Hang in there ... things can only get better.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-02-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Croatia versus Greece

I have bad news:

A new law is going to be implemented since January 2014 that will require boats between 7 an 12 meters to pay 400 euros to sail or anchor in Greece.

Boats bigger than 12 meters will pay 100 euros for m per year. That is quite crazy and it will be a calamity to all many shipyards and marinas that have boats the full year, mostly from European owners. most of the boats are bigger than 12m, I would say the average will be between 42 and 45ft. A 45ft boat that will remain in Greece will pay 100 euros for m and will have a 30% discount, for being all year in Greece. Even so that gives more than 900 euros, about half of a boat pays to be on the hard on a shipyard.

Proportionally smaller boats will pay even more. A 30ft boat that will stay on the hard from one the end of a summer to the beginning of the next one will pay 800 euros less a 30% discount, that means 560 euros, about half the price for staying on the hard on a shipyard.

Regarding boats with more less than 12m the law is much worse for them in what regards vacations and short periods on Greece: If a cruiser with a 12 meter boat of smaller sail one week, 15 days or a month in Greece, he will pay 400 euros and has not the option to pay monthly. A bigger boat, for instance with 13 meters for sailing one month in Greece will pay 130 euros

Well, it seems that it is this year that I will be sailing in Greece but mostly on Turkey. They have another stupidity there that is that law on grey and black water but because it is impossible to fulfill (and they know it) nobody, ioncluding the authorities, takes that seriously.

Anyway to sail in Greece to reach Turkey, unless I will make it direct and that's a shame, I will have to pay 125 euros to go and another 125 euros to return. Anyway less than 400 euros and about the same one pays to sail in Croatia.

This law will be very good for Croatia and Turkey and very bad for Greece. He will see lots of boats leaving Greece for those two countries, specially the ones that stay there all year and provide for a lot of work and money in what regards maintenance and parking fees.

I am really sorry regarding all those nice guys that I have meet in Greece and that work providing services for boats. Also very sorry for all those nice small villages and small restaurants in isolated spots for whom cruising boats are one of the main sources of income.

How stupid can a government be?

New Greek tax will hit all boat owners | Pbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.