Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By John Casey
  • 1 Post By John Casey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014

John Casey is on a distinguished road
Tunisia

Anyone been to Tunisia recently?

We're flying to Malta on the 16th for some overnight passages, and depending on the weather/wind could head south as far as Tunisia.

Any locations to avoid?

What are the baksheesh expectations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2014

Re: Tunisia

The port-of call is Hammamet.

Anyone been there recently?

Issues?

Secrets?
Old 08-24-2014

We visited this marina on 20 Aug 14 in a Bavaria 46. Approach to the entrance from the east was straightforward since we had seen the marina plan and satellite photos before departing. Fuel, Port Authority, Police, and Customs are the first things on your port side as you enter. It was our first Arab country port-of-call, so the whole process seemed a bit convoluted. Someone came out of the main port office and told us what we needed to do.

We went to the Police office, on the left end of the main building, to first clear in. They asked for the vessel registration and insurance originals which we did not have, only photocopies. Eventually they were satisfied with this. They then took all our passports and returned them with a little entry card inside, that we would give back when we left. There was a few sheets to fill in about the vessel, and what we were declaring. It took about 45 minutes. From there they led us around the other side of the building to the customs office, and quite awkwardly asked for a gift. I gave one of them one of the packs of Camels that I had bought beforehand. He seemed unsatisfied by this. At the customs office they asked what we had to declare (nothing) and looked at the paperwork from the police, and then sent us to the Marina Office after taking a quick look in the boat.

There we reference "Duncan and Kim" and their yacht Tiamat, which seemed to make things run smoother. We said we would be staying for 1 night. The cost was €40 (I think). One of the workers jumped in a dinghy and led us to the berth, then brought one of us back to customs to sign our declaration, which I thought we had already done. The only reason I can see for this was to allow for another request for a gift, but was not granted. This gifting/tipping can be a bit controversial, but we simply acknowledge different places operate differently. I suggest anyone heading to the marina that may be new to this kind of thing contact Kim and Duncan to discuss what is appropriate. (Sorry we weren't smart enough to get their ocntact info).

We cut our trip short and ended up leaving after sunset. On the way out things got interesting as the Police did not want us to leave as we did not have a charter contract since the skipper was a friend of the boats owner. They explained that we should have been detained on clearing in with no way of knowing whether the boat was stolen, until they contacted the owner. Fair point. We also had not correctly declared a number of items on the boat when we entered, an error I attribute to their comrade earlier that day, but instead of pointing this out was very contrite/polite, speaking my best French, and acknowledging the errors we had made. They came aboard for one last look at the boat, and again awkwardly asked for a gift. There were 3 of them so I offered 2 X Cuban cigars explaining how expensive they were. The again seemed unsatisfied, but took them and let us depart.

Marina Main Office

Fuel and Food Bar

Approach from the East

MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by John Casey; 08-25-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-24-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

They always look unsatisfied at their bribe. I call it the Egyptian Pout and try to take the bribe back. That changes their mind.

How unfortunate that Tunisia is the same! And 60€ per night is not cheap!

The marina looks run down in your photos also a pity

The BS when you were trying to leave was for the 'big' bribe. If they can arrest you, or threaten you and you think they may be right then the bribe escalates out of this world.

Yours is a great report and photos, thank you very much for it.

I have no doubt as to your reason for leaving on the first day after taking all that time to clear in... There was nothing compelling to keep you!

What were the shoreside activities? Restaurants? Shopping? Lomg term rates?

Thanks for your report

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2014

Actually €40 (I edited above). I was converting to $ when I wrote it.

The area was spared during the Arab Spring, but since has been neglected a bit it appears. One of those places that looks like it was a stunning place in it's heyday 10-15 years ago.

A very well planned and executed layout with berthing, condos, apartments and shops right on site. Now a lot of buildings vacant, some garbage, etc.

Just in town the restaurants and shops are still full and the service is very good. Food is cheap and the staff will put any from NA or Europe to shame.

There are a few couples on other forums that winter there that can give some more/better info that I can in the one day I spent there.

I will be interested to visit again in a couple years after the country has recovered from it's recent upheaval.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by John Casey; 08-25-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2015

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
They always look unsatisfied at their bribe. I call it the Egyptian Pout and try to take the bribe back. That changes their mind.

How unfortunate that Tunisia is the same! And 60€ per night is not cheap!

The marina looks run down in your photos also a pity

The BS when you were trying to leave was for the 'big' bribe. If they can arrest you, or threaten you and you think they may be right then the bribe escalates out of this world.

Yours is a great report and photos, thank you very much for it.

I have no doubt as to your reason for leaving on the first day after taking all

that time to clear in... There was nothing compelling to keep you!

What were the shoreside activities? Restaurants? Shopping? Lomg term rates?

Thanks for your report

This is our second winter in Hammamet Port Yasmine and we love it. The marina is well kept, the water is absolutely the cleanest in any marina we have ever visited allowing us to get an additional year out of our bottom paint. People who run the marina and work here could not be better. Yea the police can be an issue on a gift when you check in and last year we gave the a carton of cigarettes and this year we caught 3 tuna on the away over and gave 2 of them to the police and they were very happy as we were as we are so tired of tuna.
The docks are all floating.
The food is plentiful and inexpensive. Medical and dental is first class and inexpensive.
It is incredibly safe and we feel safer here than any port in the USA.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.