Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Iberia & The Med
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012

pedsto is on a distinguished road
naples, italy

has anyone sailed the Bay of Naples and surround islands or hear any rumors on the subject?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2012

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road
Re: naples, italy

Sorrento is a beautiful town to walk through (there is a train from Naples to Sorrento), and I heard after it was too late to explore that Capri is also a great visit. I was there on a ship so don't know about the navigation or anchoring issues.
Old 10-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Rumors on the subject? what you mean?

I crossed the bay late September. My Wife wanted to visit Capri and called the marina to see if out of season the prices were reasonable. Well, they were not, for a 41ft boat 140€.

We stayed on anchor at Baia on the North end of the gulf, in what was once one of the most luxurious place of the Roman empire. Well, what a waste, a beautiful natural site spoiled by bad architecture not controlled planning...a mess. We stayed on anchor near a half sunken old big trawler. We where the only cruising boat on anchor (several smaller boats were more near shore on permanent moorings).

I cruised the South of Italy and most of the time was the only boat on the anchorage, it seems that Italians prefer marinas.

From there I sailed to the Island of Ponza. A nice place with good anchorages and this time there was plenty of sailboats there. I guess that was because it was weekend and the place is at only a day sailing from Rome.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-19-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2012

pedsto is on a distinguished road

I am of the impression that the Bay of Naples area is characterized by big, very very crowded, expensive marinas. And that the anchorages are mainly for settled weather. And there is not much wind in the summer except for passing thunderstorms. I base this on reading the cruising guide and rumors from third parties. So, I am looking for people that have actually sailed in the Bay or the Pontine Islands.
Old 10-19-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

There are the one in Baia that is spoiled by that big wreck that is on the best place to anchor and that can take few boats, you have more in Miseno, nearby and also several on the Islands of Ischia and Procida. None is a big one that takes many boats but the holding is good and the protection has to do with the wind direction.

They do not offer perfect or exceptional shelter but are adequate for summer protection, if the wind blows from the right direction, with the exception of the one in Miseno that gives a good protection from several winds.

If you go to the googlearth you will see where you can lay your anchor. On the bay near Napoles there are a several buoy camps. The resolution on google earth is very good and if you zoom you will see them.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-19-2012 at 01:49 PM.