Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Iberia & The Med
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012

gikimura is on a distinguished road
hints for French Mediterranean?

Hi there!

My husband and I are thinking of spending a few weeks in the French Mediterranean next year, in either April or August. We’d like to spend some time visiting marinas and maybe do a charter.

Any suggestion of preferred spots by cruisers in the area?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: hints for French Mediterranean?

Corsica
Old 11-24-2012

Hi PCP, thanks for the reply.

I've checked on the internet and it seems to be a great destination !
Old 11-24-2012

The French call it the Island of beauty and it is a very hot spot (maybe the best) for them and you have Sardine just south of it (very few miles) that is also very beautiful. I have circumnavigated both Islands and I know what I am talking about.

But take into consideration that I don't know very well the Mediterranean French coast that I know has also some very good spots.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-24-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

If you have never been to France, or the Mediteranian before then I would suggest starting at the top.. The Côte d'Azur. From St Tropez, through Cannes, Antibes, Nice and on to Monaco...

The only hint about that area is to pack a little more money than you normally would. It can send millionaires broke, but can also be done without having to sell all your kids.

Villefranche, between Nice and Monaco. If they made villages any better than this they would be in a story book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2012

Yes MarK is right, the south of France is lovely. I know all those places he mention but they are absolutely crowded in the summer. I prefer go there in the sprig when it is not so crowded, by car not boat and as he says it is very expensive and very difficult to find a place to anchor near those places. To be true In the summer I prefer places like Arles, Aix-en-provence, Aigues Morts or Nimes, great places full of culture and cultural live and not so crowded. If you go there rent a car and don' go to hotels but try rural tourism. Look here for the nice places and explore the country side that is wonderful and not so crowded:

Gîtes ruraux et chambres d'hôtes, tourisme rural France - Toprural

Site officiel Gîtes de France®. 55 000 offres locations vacances en France

Corsica it is also expensive even if not so much but you will find more places to stay at anchor and it is a lot more savage, I mean it has not houses everywhere:

It has some very interesting and nice cities and villages: Ajaccio, Calvi, L'ille Rousse and Bastia are some of them.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-24-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Corsica rocks! Seriously, if you have a rogue's heart, the cote d'azur will empty your wallet while corsica will fill your soul.
on the other hand , if you want the perception of safety that ameinites buys, sell your soul to cannes, nice and monaco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-26-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I lived and worked outside of Antibes, next to Juan les Pins and between Nice and Cannes. It is a wonderful area and worth exploring by car (or, in my case, by motorcycle). From the warm Med waters a short drive takes you up the Alps to Grasse (where they make pretty much all the French perfume and the industrial zone smells like Jasmine and roses, literally!) and further up to Opio and beyond.
Antibes is home to many, if not most, of the biggest yachts in the world and is worth seeing - lots of great restaurants and bars and even the hangout for the megayacht crews (a place called La Gaffe) is fun to visit.

Old 11-26-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I went to the University of Nice way back in 87. Spent a week in Corsica, it was great for a student's budget even spent a few few nights on the beach with nothing more than a beach towel and a rice mat. Nice was not too expensive either. Went to Cannes, worth a visit but not for very long. Villefranche is beautiful, as is Monaco. All can be done on a budget, food is was not too expensive if you were careful. I imagine the marinas though are very expensive, we did not have a boat of course. As long as you do like the locals it is not too expensive, but if you do it like the tourists, ouch!
Old 12-04-2012

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies!
Our idea is spreading among our friends and we´re currently a group of 9 people coming from Brazil, the US and France. We intend to get together in a week late June for a cruise in a catamaran.

Corse seems to be a unanimity amongst all. We´d like to take advantage of being on a boat and sleeping aboard to explore places you can´t go by car. Anyone who knows the Island of Beauty can reccommend best spots to visit (ex: north or south?)?

Apart from that, I´m looking for a nice place in land, nearby, to take a French course, perhaps a month long. Aix-en-Provence has been reccommended, but I´ll definitely check the spots PCP mentioned.

Salut!