Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013

newbie139 is on a distinguished road
New to Sailing

Greetings everyone I am new to sailing and to this board my first lesson is this tuesday,the end goal is a boat of our own once we have the skill to sail her.My wife and I are taking it slow, we like the "idea" of living a board our own boat
just not sure yet if it will be something we do, are plan is to complete a sailing course which will allow us to rent small boats at our local lake this year and take it from there.I plan on using the next 2-3 yrs to get some basic skills together any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
David & Lexie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: New to Sailing

Welcome to Sailnet D & L! Good luck. it's not rocket science to learn.. but they try to make it seem that way if you listen to "experts"

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2013

HardTAC is on a distinguished road
New to Sailing

Welcome! Have fun and enjoy! Take it slow and keep it fun! You learn over time what kind of sailing and what kind of boat will be right for you. The more you sail the more you'll know!
Old 06-02-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Dave,

Jump in, both feet. We did. Look into buying a trailerable in the 23 foot range. Millions out there for around $6000 on a trailer, in decent condition. Then sail your socks off. Make mistakes that require new shorts, but learn from the mistakes. Spend as much time sailing as you can handle. With a trailerable, it's an affordable dream. Best of all, if the romance of sailing doesn't pan out for some reason, sell the boat for a reasonable price to some other lucky couple. If you love sailing, sell the boat and upgrade to your dream. At any rate, get on with it! Make it happen!

You can probably check out my previous posts for some of the more moronic blunders I've made. Truth is, we all make them, but not all are willing to share!

Don
Old 06-02-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Charter

Have you ever chartered a boat before? Chartering with a crew will allow you to safely get a taste of living aboard to see if it's something you really like. My wife and I did this a few times before finally contracting with a school to obtain our ASA 101, 103, 104 (bareboat certification). We chose to use a live-aboard school in which we lived with 2 instructors, 1-on-1 instruction for a week, no other students. We spent 3 months prior to our school studying the ASA material. Just my own humble experience, but to us it was worth every penny. Now we can move on in gaining experience with confidence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2013

Thanks for the welcome,we have never chartered or been sailing until yesterday we had our first class given by our YMCA under US sailing, it is just basic keel boat but it is a start
it is the only class offered where we live OKLA. so if anyone can recommend a good school
it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
D&L
Old 06-05-2013

I should say I'm very interested in the navigation course's,would hate to get lost in an ocean
Old 06-05-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard, and you have made a decision that'll change your life forever (in a good way).
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Old 06-06-2013

MarkBarrett is on a distinguished road

welcome to this community you are now on the most adventurous place and that would make you more and more enthusiastic and committed. enjoy

Old 06-06-2013

Lady Adoryan is on a distinguished road
New to Sailing

Welcome!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.