Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Teamstone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013

Teamstone is on a distinguished road
New to coastal cruising and live aboard

Good morning,

Been sailing a 22 FT Chrysler in Minnesota lakes for 20 years.

Decided I am moving to the Ft Myers, fl area and I have bought a Allmand 35 in Mobile with the plan to move it to the Burnt Store marina off of Charlotte Bay.

Isn't technically going o be a live aboard as I travel for work. I figure 9 or so days per month on the boat. Winter it might be more.

50 years old and still working. I figured the 35 was a good size to learn what I like about that boat and what I don't for when I decide to go bigger. I single hand my Chrysler and figure I will likely be doing the same with the Allmand.

Anyone else in the Ft Myers area?

tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013

CapnChuck is on a distinguished road
Re: New to coastal cruising and live aboard

Tom, we spent over a year in the Fort Myers, Fort Myers Beach, Naples area and really liked it. We are currently cruising but would not hesitate to stay in the area again. We much prefer the west coast to the east. Chuck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard! My parents are in Naples, and I like the stretch of the West coast between Ft. Myers and Naples. We get down that way periodically (once every 2 years or so). Next time I'm there, I'll need to take a peek at your boat!!! Is yours the one that had been on eBay? If so, she looked really nice. I had chatted with the seller a while back, seemed like a nice guy.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Welcome aboard! My parents are in Naples, and I like the stretch of the West coast between Ft. Myers and Naples. We get down that way periodically (once every 2 years or so). Next time I'm there, I'll need to take a peek at your boat!!! Is yours the one that had been on eBay? If so, she looked really nice. I had chatted with the seller a while back, seemed like a nice guy.
As a matter of fact it is. Next time your in town, drop me a note. We can take it out!

Tom
jimgo likes this.
Old 06-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Yes that is the boat. Looking forward to it. Tried to PM you, but I haven't posted enough yet.
Old 06-07-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Have spent many, many years in that area. We lived aboard and cruised out of Fort Myers Beach. Know the area very, very well! Also know the area from Mobile to there if you want some good anchorages and how I would go.

Curiously, why Burnt Store?

Brian

PS Congrats!!! DOn't forget to sail over to Useppa (Cabbage Key) and have a Cheeseburger Burger in Paradise!!! Bring a dollar to hang up (and 30 more to pay for lunch).

PSS Watch out for shoaling coming into Boca grande Pass. Its shallow right around 3A... even in the middle of the channel. 6 feet draft is tight. We got real close to bumping.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-08-2013

Brian,

i always worry when someone with a lot of experience asks a question like that.

The reason I am leaning to Burnt Store is that Charlotte harbor seems like a great spot to go for a quick afternoon sail without an hour motor. They allow liveaboards and the showers and amenities will be attractive to the fiancée

The Fort Myer Yacht Basin was also on my short list, but the 2 hour motor to the gulf discouraged me.

May become a moot point as I may be close to purchasing a Sailboat assessable home soon in the Port Charlotte area.

Are there Marinas or other options I am missing?

I may take you up on the advise. How long do you think it would take?

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Have spent many, many years in that area. We lived aboard and cruised out of Fort Myers Beach. Know the area very, very well! Also know the area from Mobile to there if you want some good anchorages and how I would go.

Curiously, why Burnt Store?

Brian

PS Congrats!!! DOn't forget to sail over to Useppa (Cabbage Key) and have a Cheeseburger Burger in Paradise!!! Bring a dollar to hang up (and 30 more to pay for lunch).

PSS Watch out for shoaling coming into Boca grande Pass. Its shallow right around 3A... even in the middle of the channel. 6 feet draft is tight. We got real close to bumping.
Old 06-08-2013

MarkBarrett is on a distinguished road

no friend not at all never been to that area anytime in my life ever