Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013

Fairladyaffair is on a distinguished road
"new sails and tail"

Hello all, i'm a new sailor from Georgia of the good old US of A. For now i'm just clinging to my roots and striving towards a dream I have. I grew up on Lake Martin Alabama sailing with my father on his 27' Oday 272 Sloop. He passed due to an unfortunate accident where he capsized his Ultimate 20 and suffered a heart attack taking his life. My dad loved to sail and I know if there was any way he would want to go out it would have been at the helm of his boat.

Ive grown up now and want to continue that legacy and the old school romance that I learned from sailing and most of you saltier sailers like to speak of from the good old days.

I plan to purchase another Oday like my fathers but i'm going with the 1988 LE because of the experience I already have with the boat. I am currently doing research on local sailboat clubs out of Lake Sydney Lanier Ga (slip costs etc.) but plan to join one of these clubs and just get out on the water again.

Once i've put in a little time on fresh water and gain some much needed experience I want to graduate to the ocean level.

Considering I'm only 29 I am taking my time to buy the right boat and put it in the right place with the right people.

Any friendly advice or local connections to speed the process would be greatly appreciated. I am patient but still anxious to get back out on the water and under sail.

On a side note i am in the process of restoring and 86 AMF puffer that i lucked out on a few years back for 500 bucks with trailer. Its been my training wheels up to now but is down for some much needed TLC.

Nice to meet all of you and may the wind be in your sails.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: "new sails and tail"

Welcome to Sailnet! Very sorry to hear about your dad and he seems to have passed on something important that you're running with. It sounds like you're off to a good start.

There's a wealth of information in this forum and if I could gather up all the sailors who post saying that they sail on Lake Lanier, they could start their own sail club!

Good luck with your sailing plans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard! I'm sorry to hear about your father.

The O'Day 272 LE is a nice boat, and quite frankly, I wouldn't be afraid of getting that as a "starter" boat (though with your experience, it wn't really be a starter).

Good luck with the Puffer restoration!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-07-2013

Thank you for the replies. Its always good to hear a little encouragement.

2004 Lb7
Old 06-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Have you been out on a 272 LE lately? You might be surprised at how ready you really are for it.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-07-2013

Ready for the boat or the ocean? No I have not been out on one in quite some time but i do feel ready for the boat not to mention extremely impatient to purchase it.

I found a perfect boat but its in WI and thats to far for me to visit to verify those unmentionable imperfections that so "accidentally" are left out of photos.

Plus I really want to start out sailing with the local sailboat clubs and finding the best place to keep my boat.

One detail I have left out is I'm trying to find one with a custom trailer so if necessary it can be relocated to say the ocean if i desire. although I would probably do this with a more seasoned ocean sailor until I learn the ebb and flow of the tides etc.

If anyone from the area around GA knows where i can find a Oday 272 le in good condition with or without trailer please let me know!
Old 06-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

There was one for sale in Maryland toward the end of last year. It looked really nice, well taken care of. I haven't looked lately to see if it is still available, but it had the trailer and everything. Even had the more unusual maroon Sunbrella and pin striping.

Doesn't GA have bays? You needn't venture into the ocean quite yet. . Honestly, I can appreciate your desire to do this in a logical sequence.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-07-2013

go to sailboat listings and look for listing 35698. I would post a link but it wont let me yet.
Old 06-07-2013

Teamstone is on a distinguished road

Welcome to SailNet. Sorry to hear about your dad. I am also new here at Sailnet.

Buying a boat that will reside in Florida.
Old 06-07-2013

Im looking at a beautiful day to sail on the gulf as we speak, currently on vacation on Panama City Beach. Wind is perfect here at the boardwalk