New to sailing (sort of) and just got 2 boats (yeah, you read that right) - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013

arnaudh is on a distinguished road
New to sailing (sort of) and just got 2 boats (yeah, you read that right)

Alright, so I had only been gone sailing a handful of times in my entire life. But last year I went with some friends on the San Francisco Bay and had a blast. Then a few months ago a friend of mine took us on his 24-footer several times and we had great fun.

Then he tells me - the marina has two boats for sale for. Get one. They're basically giving them away for less than what you spend on gas every month.

I looked at them. They both needed some love, had been left behind by their owners for 4-5 years. New paint for sure. No jib on one of them. But both dry, and both seaworthy.

First thing I did was essentially read Don Casey's Complete Works. Then I decided I wanted not just one, but two boats. One for the lake (nearby which I live), and one for the San Francisco Bay, as a part-liveaboard (I spend 1-2 nights a week away from home in SF for work, and that's not a cheap proposition).

So there it is. I'm now the owner of an Islander Bahama 24 and a Columbia C-22. Both need new paint and refinishing. The C-22 needs a jib, and the Islander's outboard motor probably needs some love, but I love projects. I scored some boat stands from someone, and I'm moving to a new house which has plenty of space to undergo that project.

Obviously I'm going to get plenty of training, keelboat ASA certification and the whole nine yards before I even think about sailing the Bay. For the lake, I got plenty of friends to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

So go ahead, feel free to tell me how insane I am.

Last edited by arnaudh; 06-06-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
Doubly insane! Have fun learning and working. Stick with it, don't get discouraged and have a great time on both....
Old 06-06-2013

norahs arc is on a distinguished road
Re: New to sailing (sort of) and just got 2 boats (yeah, you read that right)

Two project boats!! You need to spend some time with a mental health professional. (chuckle - have fun, hell have double the fun and welcome to the club.)
Old 06-06-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Well, you may need professional psychiatric help but you are certainly not alone. There is a thread around here somewhere that is titled "How many boats do you own?" or something like that.
Quite a few people own 2 or more boats. It gets a little crazy when you start counting such craft as windsurfers, kayaks, dinghies etc. Some folks even own (gasp!) motor boats as well as sail boats.
Since you have 2 distinct geographic locations for keeping your 2 boats you are practically a sane man.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2013

Teamstone is on a distinguished road

I have two boats as well, but at least they are not project boats!

WOW is all can say. The use of it as a liveaboard in SF does make a lot of sense.

Keep us in the look.

Tom
Old 06-07-2013

arnaudh is on a distinguished road

I will!

And I'm not sure "project boat" really applies here. They are after all both ready to be sailed (and I'll probably take the Islander for a spin on the lake over the weekend). I see some of you guys start with a hull and rebuild from scratch - now THAT's a project.

Last night I took out the Johnson outboard from the Islander, expecting the thing to be a lot of work, but after draining the hose and mixing a new batch of fuel, the thing started within a minute. I just had to resolder a cable to re-enable the kill switch, and that's it. The water and algae did a number on the lower part though, so I'll have to prime it and re-paint it, but that's no big deal. Ready to go!

The C-22 is the one that really needs the new coat of paint though. She's the one I want in the Bay.