Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Whitewater sailor
  • 2 Post By Whitewater sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013

Whitewater sailor is on a distinguished road
Time to stop lurking

Hello all, I have been lurking around sailnet for a while and would like to say thanks for the wealth of knowledge and ideas I've found on here. Im 27 and In December I bought a C&C 30 that needed ALOT of work on a limited budget. When I had questions about certain thing I found a endless supply of similar questions and enough answer to get the jobs done. She is now in Pretty good shape after 6months of work and my wife and I are going on our first couple day cruise this weekend. I'm a little nervous, but I sure would hate to keep spending all my time working on her. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Time to stop lurking

Welcome..... But....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-27-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Ditto.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2013

I agree. I'll try to post some pictures as soon as I get back
jimgo likes this.
Old 06-27-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Show us the boat too!

Whitey,

Congrats on getting her this far. (The boat too). How experienced are you? Whatever you do, don't expect to be there on time. I mean, a boat that can do 7 knots will not put you 14 nm away in 2 hours. There's the point of sail, current, wave size and direction (sometimes has nothing to do with the wind). Make sure that getting there is at least half the experience. If you're cruising and imbibe, break the seal on a nice Merlot once the hook is down and the deck is tidied up, but not before. Here in Maine, skippering and drinking bears the same wrath as drinking and driving. There's a reason for that. Oh and one last rule that must be adhered to. DO NOT yell at the Admiral. Not only does it ruin the day, but you look like an ass doing it, not the smart one on board. Ask anybody in any anchorage. Use hand signals and take your time.

Don
Old 07-02-2013

Well, we made our first trip this weekend and are still in one piece. It was a lot of fun except a hard beat into pretty heavy wind and waves up the neuse on our way to new bern. Here are the pictures I promised. The doors and table belong on the low bucks thread. The boat had a lot of rot so I had to replace a good bit inside along with all new plumbing and electric. The compound and wax thread I found on here really helped bring the shine back to the exterior. A lot to still do but it's time for a little fun. Don, as far as my experience, I'm not a seasoned mariner by any means. I have raced J24's for the past 4 years but no cruising experience until this weekend. And your advice was spot on for the weekend. Thanks. So does anyone have advice for learning to trust your anchor? I didn't get much sleep.
Attached Thumbnails
Time to stop lurking-beforeafter.jpg   Time to stop lurking-doorsbanda.jpg   Time to stop lurking-sanding.jpg   Time to stop lurking-table2.jpg   Time to stop lurking-img_1867.jpg  

jameswilson29 and jimgo like this.
Old 07-02-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

You're doing a great job! About the anchor, drop two. I you can't sleep, drop one off each side and pay out almost parallel. Set at the same time, cleat together and back in hard. Some folks put an additional anchor on the end of the chain. One assures that the other will lie flat when it bites and if you're lucky, they both will. This may sound dumb, but if the breeze is beginning to pick up, I just dump the second anchor over and give it lots of line. My theory is that if I start to drag, I have twice the change of snagging something else before I hit the rocks. In Maine, that's about all there is. But the real trick is to set it hard and give it the proper scope. Other than that, soft music, waves gurgling on the shore, a medium bodied Merlot and your lovely bride snuggled up tight. Don't get no betta! Been snuggling the same cutie for 35 years, since I was 16.
Old 07-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

There's also an app called Drag Queen that will monitor your boat's movement and sound an alarm if you go outside a certain range. It's actually more sophisticated than that, but essentially that's what it does.

The work you've done looks great! Congratulations!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.