Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DRFerron

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013

wranglerdg is on a distinguished road
dangerous seas & barbarous coasts

I just bought a J-22 after taking sailing lessons in Florida and on the Chesapeake Bay. I'm coming to sailing fairly late (late 60's). Ex-cowboy turned psych professor. I needed a hobby.

The boat is an '85 so I'll be doing some repairs and cleaning. I need to replace some cam cleats immediately. Should I put some caulking between bottom of cleat and deck?

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: dangerous seas & barbarous coasts

Welcome to SailNet and sailing, Dave!

Don Casey recommends coating both surfaces with sealant and that's what I did on my previous boat.

If you have not yet purchased it, I highly recommend his book Sailboat Hull & Deck Repair. It walked me through a lot of repairs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
wranglerdg (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013

I appreciate your advice. I'm on a learning curve.
Dave
Old 06-28-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

The learning never stops. The shape of the curve just changes.

Best of luck and you'll find almost everything you'll need to know (or where to go to find it) in this forum somewhere. You aren't alone. You re-bed your hardware, 27 other people are doing it with you.
CalebD likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-28-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Welcome to Sailnut wranglerdg!
You are going to enjoy your J-22; fast, sporty etc.

Lots of sailing folks now swear by using Butyl tape for bedding deck hardware; I do.
Butyl never hardens, stays stretchy, is easy to apply and clean up. None of the other commercially available bedding compounds can boast these properties. I have used most of them and none work better or are easier to use - my opinion only.

You can find gray butyl tape at local RV supply places.
If you've never seen it before it looks like this: Need Butyl Tape ?? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

Everybody has one:

Old 06-28-2013

Thanks CalebD, Do I have to caulk the bedding to the deck? As you can tell, I'm new to this. If it had to do with horses/saddles, it would be easy, but this is a new range to ride for me. I appreciate your help.
Dave
Old 06-28-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

wranglerdg,
The Butyl tape is the caulk and bedding compound. You don't have to use any other product but butyl tape.
You can use acetone on a rag to clean up the decks & fittings before re-bedding though.
Once you re-tighten your hardware to the deck you should find excess butyl tape squeezing out around the sides, which indicates a good seal. I use a razor blade to clean up the excess. Very easy to use - don't over think it.

Giddiap pardner!

Everybody has one:

The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
wranglerdg (06-29-2013)
Old 06-29-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

CalebD is right on with his advice regarding Butyl tape. I have used everything over the past 40 years from 2 parts to 5200 t0 4200 and , don't repeat this, (silicon). Butyl tape is the stuff I use on almost every bedding situation I confront.

Almost every one? I mounted a heat shield to the ceiling (above my hot exhaust under the cockpit floor) using ss machine screws set flush into the cockpit floor and decided to use 5200. Needless to say, for those familiar with this amazing sealant, gloves, clothes of little value and lots of paper towels and acetone were required. This is an unusual, almost structural application. Every surface bedding problem gets Butyl tape. Including the teak trim around the bulkhead mounted compasses.

I had a visit to my neurosurgeon last week. Before leaving to go, I noticed the shirt I grabbed had an old 5200 "stain" near the tail so I changed it. The Dr. apologized for the white stains all over his , neurosurgeons, hands (4200). Yikes! We talked as much about bedding materials as my mri. Ha!

Butyl is so easy to work with. It works! A little goes a long way and it doesn't "go by". I have a roll I bought from Mainsail several years ago at the NE Boat Show. It is half gone, lives flat in a Ziploc bag and I will probably still be using this original roll several years from now.

Welcome to the club. Enjoy that great boat. There is one on a mooring next to me and the young man sails it like a sports car around the moorings in Seal Harbor. He is very good! Fun!

Down
wranglerdg (06-29-2013)
Old 07-30-2013

Mary Flower is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great tip. Cheap and easy. Which reminds me of a girl I once date back in the days of my misspent youth.