SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   San Diego sailing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/100984-san-diego-sailing.html)

Dan Diego 07-01-2013 05:13 PM

San Diego sailing

Hi all,
I am new to sailing but quickly learning and loving it. I have a 21' Santana trailer sailor. It is not much to look at but then again, neither am I. Just spent the weekend on the water and cannot wait to do it again. I am middle-aged guy with all of the aches and pains that go with it but the thought of fair winds and following seas makes it easy to grin and bear it. My biggest current challenge is to get my youngest son to go sailing with me again. I scared the snot of him the last time he sailed as a made some rookie mistakes. That however is a story for another day and thread. I am hopeful that sailing is something I will be able to share with my kids over time. I would be grateful if you have any thoughts or advice on getting kids excited about and fostering an interest in sailing. A longer term goal for me would be sailing blue water to some tropical paradise yet to be determined, most likely in a large cat if I have any chance of having my wife join me.

Cheers,
Dan Diego :D

billsull 07-01-2013 10:44 PM

Re: San Diego sailing

Hi Dan,

Welcome aboard! I found myself saying "yep, me too" several times as I read your post. After one misadventure that ended with me waving to my family as they were evacuated on a SeaTow boat while I remained aboard our listing and stranded sailboat, I faced a similar challenge getting my kids interested, let alone excited in going anywhere on the boat. I had some success with my son, then about 9, when I befriended the father of one of my son's playmates and we decided to go on a series of father-son weekends together on the boat. The boys had a great time and to this day, I count that dad among my very best friends. Fast forward about 20 years during which time my son never really "got the bug" for sailing. Now that he has a girlfriend that truly loves sailing, I have noticed that is he is asking me more questions about the boat! Hey - if it means we go sailing more often together, I'll take it!

I also indulge in dreams of blue water, white sails and green palms, but I've had to modify those dreams a bit to make sure that they include my wife. It became apparent many years ago that while my wife dreamed of traveling the world also, her dreams generally involve a plane ride, a comfortable hotel and ultimately, a return flight home. In our "modified dreams", I'm sailing into a distant harbor where my wife is waiting for me and we do our exploring together until it's time to move to the next port or to head home. We've tried it on a small scale with our cruising in the Northeast and so far, so good. I like a comfortable hotel too - it's just the cramped seat in the back of the plane I can't take!

Sorry I'm rambling here, but I'll close by saying that if sailing is still important to you as you move through life, and the "big cat" plan doesn't work out, try something else that will allow you and your family to find the balance we all strive for. I know that I have to stay flexible as I approach "retirement age" (whatever that is!) The "distant harbor" that I enter then may not be halfway around the world, but wherever it is, I want to share the view with my loved ones!

maryamjoney 07-02-2013 02:34 AM

Re: San Diego sailing

I just like the helpful information you provide . I will bookmark your forum and check again right here frequently. I am relatively sure I will be told many new stuff right right here! Good luck for the following!