SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New Sailor with Lots to Learn (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/101170-new-sailor-lots-learn.html)

Rossignols 07-08-2013 02:17 PM

New Sailor with Lots to Learn

I am new to sailing but have been reading these forums for about a year now as I take in as much knowledge as possible on my new found passion.

Took a basic sailing lesson at the end of last year and spent the winter waiting to sail. Have been sailing on J24ís (once or twice a week) in New York Harbor since May and really loving it. I learn something new each time out, and have been very fortunate to sail with some great skippers willing to share their knowledge.

Also considering buying something small like a sunfish or an escape that I can use on local lakes as well.

Really enjoying myself this summer and wish I had started sailing sooner! Thanks for all the great advise and info on the site.

Spray 07-09-2013 01:56 PM

Re: New Sailor with Lots to Learn

Right there with you Rossignols. I haven't taken any lessons, but I'm hoping with the help of this site and some how to sailing books, I won't be getting too wet! I'm sure you've already noticed, but it seems like everyone here has beaucoup knowledge....an excellent resouce.

Rossignols 07-09-2013 02:04 PM

Could not agree more! It has been increadibly helpfull over the past year and continues to be as I look for my first dinghy

Spray 07-09-2013 02:14 PM

I'm sure you already know, but if you're looking for a dinghy Craigslist Philly seemed pretty decent. I checked out that part before and it seems like it would be close to you. I don't know what others think of it, but it certainly seems CL has quite the variety.

jimgo 07-09-2013 03:33 PM

Welcome! There are a bunch of Sailnetters in your area. If my boat ever gets fixed, I hope to be out in Barnegat Bay. Hope to see you out there!

Rossignols 07-09-2013 04:06 PM

Thanks Spray

Iíve been searching CL all around, but hadnít thought about Philly. Will give it a look

jimgo 07-09-2013 04:57 PM

Philly, Jersey Shore, and Long Island CL's had the best collection of boats when I was searching earlier this year. You'd occasionally find new ones in the NY, CNJ, and north/south Jersey listings, but the other three seemed to get the most listings. Also check out sailingtexas.com and sailboatlistings.com for boats for sale. Sailingtexas has a great photo gallery too, which is helpful for understanding what a particular model looks like. SailboatData.com is also an invaluable resource.

Rossignols 07-09-2013 05:14 PM

Thanks Jim

Appreciate the info. This site Rocks! By far the most helpful and friendly community I've run across.

Rossignols 07-09-2013 05:56 PM

Yeah they have a very active race community in NY harbor with a fleet of J24s that race just off the Statue every Tuesday and Wed night. (Actually planning to head down there tonight and tip a few while watching them.
Iím having a blast learning to sail in NY harbor. Between the Ferries, Barges, and countless other vessels, it sure keeps you on your toes.

deniseO30 07-09-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 1056522)
Welcome! There are a bunch of Sailnetters in your area. If my boat ever gets fixed, I hope to be out in Barnegat Bay. Hope to see you out there!

Jim, wouldn't it be somewhat less trouble to just finish the season on the Chessie? All the changes from Sandy on the jersey shore...not pretty. And the inlet is worse then ever!