Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013

talthouse11 is on a distinguished road
teach me how to be like you! (a good sailor)

Hey there,

I'm a 22 year old male. Just graduated from college in Philadelphia this past May, so I figure now is the perfect time for me to get out in the world. While I don't have much experience sailing, I am very interested in learning. A couple years ago I spent most of one day sailing aboard a family friend's boat (roughly 30 feet long) and loved it. I would very much enjoy the chance to relive that adventure, but for a much longer period than one day.

I understand that my lack of experience may be a problem for some, but I am very willing and eager to learn how to sail. Hopefully you can help me build up experience and miles on the water.

I have a laid back personality and am quite easy to get along with. I am a good listener and can be very dedicated and hard-working too, so you won't have to worry about me slacking or anything like that. I tend to go with the flow of things and am good at adapting to new situations.

-Travis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: teach me how to be like you! (a good sailor)

Where in PA are you?
Old 07-26-2013

egent is on a distinguished road

If you are still in Philadelphia, you could look into Liberty Sailing School and Club.

http://www.libertysailingschool.com/http://www.libertysailingschool.com/

http://www.libertysailing.com/http://www.libertysailing.com/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-26-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Travis:
Here is what I would do. I would walk the docks and tell everyone you see that you are looking to crew. If you can find when there are races walk the docks there before the race. Some ALWAYS needs crew. If you are intelligent and catch on fast you will get invited back. If you are an idiot and catch on fast you will get invited back. In no time you will be part of a regular crew. There is no better way to learn to sail than racing. One day the owner will ask you, "Can you take the boat down to Squid Puss Harbor next Friday?" and off you go, kind of scared but bold and you will make that subtle crossover from racing to cruising.

This is how I did it. It worked for me. When I walked the docks I always found a boat to sail on. Always. I always got invited back because I tried hard and listened to people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 07-26-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2013

lajimo is on a distinguished road
teach me how to be like you! (a good sailor)

That's great advice from a master mariner Mr talthouse - I hope you are listening.
Old 07-26-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Travis,
Welcome aboard. There are several of us in the Philly area. I'm a Drexel grad and worked at Penn, BTW.

I may need some crew in a few weeks. Send me a PM with your contact info and we can try to chat. I'd like to meet a few times to get to know you, but if you're available, it would be a good way to get some experience.
1975 Albacore 15

Tags
awesome , hard-working , laid-back , new member