Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013
Crimson_Brain

CrimsonBrain is on a distinguished road
Salutations

I am from Seattle and working on putting together my dream. My underway experience is three years sea time with the United States Coast Guard out of Woods Hole, MA. I've in the North Atlantic off Georges Banks and Grand Banks in January when the seas were less than amicable. I look forward to gleaning information from all you old salts. Since my experience with vessels that are powered with canvas is limited I'll be asking a ton of questions. Be gentle, its my first time.

Respectfully,
CrimsonBrain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Salutations

Welcome!

I have to ask: Was your time in the CG above or below deck? My SO was an EM in the CG at Sitka and then Cape May (the Alert) and was great with our engine and electrical stuff but couldn't tie a knot to save a life and being on watch meant "engine watch". I've since brought him out of the bilge.

So, what is your dream as far as sailing goes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-09-2013
Crimson_Brain

DRFerron,
I was a deck seaman (engines and I aren't tight). Stationed aboard the former USCGC Bittersweet, and the USCGC Sanibel (WPB - 1312). Absolutely loved it being a deck seaman. However my father a 22 year retired BMCM said "Don't go Boatswain's Mate." I went SK. However, I do know basic Navigation (GPS and Loran, and triangulation from reference points) and I know knots.

Here is my dream. It's my 5 year plan.

I am currently living in Seattle, WA and am a social worker (just graduated with my masters from the UW).

1. Learn to sail, and sail in expert fashion. I am currently a crew of one, so single handed will be my focus.

2. search for and acquire a live aboard sailboat. I plan for this boat and I to be together for a long time, so the boats I am looking at as far as liveaboard should have space, be comfortable, and classy. I likes me my comfortable.

3. Save up the money, and spend 2+ years circumnavigating the globe, single handed.

5. The Boat:
a)The boat must be able to be single-handed safely and be a decent ride in in blue water (obviously, circumnavigation) which includes rounding cape horn.

b)Must have enough space to have company aboard, if I feel like it.

c) should be a newer vessel.

d) Owner's stateroom aft. I've spent way to much time in forward berthing. I know that ride.

d) Several other details which I can't remember of the top of my head.

What I've been looking at:

Beneteau: 48, 50 and the new 55

Jeanneau Sun Oddessy 50

Hunter 50

I would like to keep the boat to within 5 years old when I purchase her. Those are the basics. It's beautiful in my mind.

Ready - Reality---GO!
Old 08-09-2013
A mod and her dragon

Great start. I would suggest that you keep an open mind. As you learn more, don't hesitate to adjust your plan as your knowledge grows.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 08-09-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Wow, those are big boats for just starting out! You might want to look at less expensive to maintain options too. There are a lot of upper 20s to upper 30s boats that would meet all of your requirements and have a fraction of the annual maintainance cost (and initial purchase price). As an example a friend has a Pacific Seacraft Orion that is only 27', but meets all of your needs (for a limited definition of company).

I'm in Seattle and learned how to sail here a few years ago. With your background in navigation and knots you'll be able to concentrate on the sailing aspects and probably pick it up pretty quickly. I had some experience in those areas from a related sport that helped me a lot when learning how to sail.

I learned how to sail at the Center for Wooden Boats and can recommend them as a resource. I've also sailed at, but haven't taken classes at, Wind Works which teaches the full US Sailing curriculum on larger boats (and charters a variety of sailboats). CWB is a great place to concentrate on sailing (they teach sailing on motorless 20 foot keel boats) while Wind Works and the ASA schools have longer courses that also go into motorized docking, navigation, and other seamanship skills.
CrimsonBrain likes this.
Old 08-24-2013
Crimson_Brain

Alex,
I had no idea that the CWB conducted sailing classes, which is cool. I wanted to ask about sailing smaller craft and the translation to larger boats. So if a person learned to sail on a smaller craft, would it directly translate to sailing larger vessels? I have been looking at sailing classes at Wind Works.
My concern about the smaller boats is comfort and live aboard-ability. I haven't been on a sailboat smaller than 40 feet, in fact the Beneteau dealer suggested a sub 50' boat for sailing. Thanks for the recommendations, I hope I can use you as a resource for further research.
Old 08-24-2013
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBrain View Post
Alex,
I had no idea that the CWB conducted sailing classes, which is cool. I wanted to ask about sailing smaller craft and the translation to larger boats. So if a person learned to sail on a smaller craft, would it directly translate to sailing larger vessels?
The physics of sailing are the same no matter what you sail. What you have to learn when moving to a different boat is the set-up of the rigging.

Quote:
My concern about the smaller boats is comfort and live aboard-ability.
Learn on a smaller boat then buy the bigger live aboard boat later.

Quote:
I haven't been on a sailboat smaller than 40 feet, in fact the Beneteau dealer suggested a sub 50' boat for sailing.
Of COURSE he did.
jimgo and CrimsonBrain like this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 08-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Welcome! Thank you for your service in the USCG. I was a civilian employee for a while at the EECEN in Wildwood Crest. Y'all are the unsung heroes of our armed forces.

I agree with Donna and Alex. Try buying an inexpensive, used, "disposable" boat like a Catalina 25/27/30 (depending on your budget) and give sailing a try. That will also allow you to get a feel for what the ownership costs are like, how much time the care and feeding of a private boat requires, etc. As Donna rightly pointed out, be ready for your plans, and your wants/needs to change once you've gotten your feet wet.

The 40'+ boats are beautiful and will give you lots of room, but as Alex pointed out, the maintenance and marina costs of such boats can be a killer. From what I've read (I'm very new), the "sweet spot" for circumnavigation boats/blue water boats seems to be in the upper 30's to very low 40's. That gives you enough room to stretch out, enough carrying capacity, and enough storage to live comfortably. As you go bigger, the size of the sails necessarily increases, and with it comes the need for more strength, unless you're going to add mechanical or electrical systems that assist you (but also add more point sources for possible failure). Something in the upper 30's should still be "do-able" as a single handed boat if you are able-bodied, but BOY can it get tough some times.
CrimsonBrain likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-25-2013
Crimson_Brain

Jim,
Thank you for your service. Getting my feet wet isn't a problem, I've been wanting a boat for decades, and now I am just getting around to putting the dream into action. So, the desire to sail and live aboard isn't a passing folly. I do agree with getting a smaller used boat for my training boat and figuring out the balance between dream and reality. And of course finding the balance between comfort and having a user friendly boat. I really appreciate any and all suggestions, and recommendations.
Old 08-25-2013
Crimson_Brain

DRFerron,
What are you saying that the Beneteau rep, is a sailsman?

Tags
liveaboard sailboat , new member , novice sailor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.