SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Author in research mode needs help (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/102630-author-research-mode-needs-help.html)

DeeB 08-16-2013 02:37 PM

Author in research mode needs help

Greetings to all real-life super-salty sailors out there.
I am in the exciting, excruciating, frustrating, sometimes dangerous but always fascinating process of writing a novel. I have a some experience boating but zero at sailing, although I'm working on that.
I am joining this forum in the hope of gathering accurate information for the plot and characters of my story. I am that kind of reader and movie watcher who can't abide nonsense unless it's comical, so as a writer I am particularly careful to get my facts right.
I will be posting questions in the next few weeks or months and will be unfathomably grateful for every helpful answer I get. I have an immense admiration for all of you who have turned sailing into a lifestyle and secretly hope to achieve as much one day.
Cheers

jameswilson29 08-16-2013 03:09 PM

Re: Author in research mode needs help

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeB (Post 1074891)
I have an immense admiration for all of you who have turned sailing into a lifestyle and secretly hope to achieve as much one day.

You are definitely a fiction writer...:)

desert rat 08-16-2013 04:33 PM

Read the Annapolis book of seamanship by John Rousmaniere, and A voyage for
Madmen by Peter Nichols for language and perspective then ask some questions.

Jeff_H 08-16-2013 04:41 PM

Fire away! We all seem to like getting questions.... its only the answers that seem to turn into a school yard brawl.

By the way, you live in New Zealand for goodness sake. That is the land of serious sailor.

jimgo 08-16-2013 05:56 PM

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing the questions you ask, and to reading your book!

zeehag 08-16-2013 07:27 PM

lotta shy sneaky salts in this world---have fun ...

lancelot9898 08-21-2013 11:33 PM

Your name is interesting. In fact that is my exact name so you can't be all bad. I've lived aboard my sailboat for close to 20 years and now while I still have the boat I'm no longer on the sea, but in the mountains of NC. There are many stories here on the various forums for you to draw from. Some made up and passed off as real and others make no sense at all. "A Voyage for Madmen" is a good read as someone else mentioned as is Slocum's book. I've always wished that I could write about people that I've met along the way with their hopes and inspirations, but somehow I think you're either born with the talent or not. Jack London had that talent and is one of my favorites. Best of Luck.

Dee B.

Aver 08-24-2013 08:01 AM

Sounds good mate. Good Luck with the book!